Just now, 97406 said:

I've finally taken the plunge and got me a Skoda. The eventual aim is to have another in IC Swallow and one in IC Mainline to go with it. I may end up respraying another railfreight example into IC Swallow as they are rare and expensive. The pantograph is excellent, showing up Hornby's shoddy effort even more!

90.JPG

mine is en-route too. Sound chip ordered. I’d have preferred a Swallow liveried version, and I’m sure Bachmann must do another one sometime, as it’s probably the mot popular scheme, especially given the LSL Skodas running around

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, 47606odin said:

mine is en-route too. Sound chip ordered. I’d have preferred a Swallow liveried version, and I’m sure Bachmann must do another one sometime, as it’s probably the mot popular scheme, especially given the LSL Skodas running around

I think they got snapped up quickly, and the few that pop up on Ebay are expensive. I got this one for £150 from the Class 37 loco group on Ebay. I've also seen the blousy Freighliner livery ones quite cheap. I'm not sure if my eyes were deceiving me at the Doncaster show, but I'm sure I spotted some of the new Mainline livery examples in Bachmann boxes, though I'm kicking myself slightly for not taking a closer look at the time!

I do have a Hornby Railroad one and a PH Designs kit, which may get assembled.

37 minutes ago, 97406 said:

I think they got snapped up quickly, and the few that pop up on Ebay are expensive. I got this one for £150 from the Class 37 loco group on Ebay. I've also seen the blousy Freighliner livery ones quite cheap. I'm not sure if my eyes were deceiving me at the Doncaster show, but I'm sure I spotted some of the new Mainline livery examples in Bachmann boxes, though I'm kicking myself slightly for not taking a closer look at the time!

I do have a Hornby Railroad one and a PH Designs kit, which may get assembled.

yes, the mainline ones are in the shops now. I was going to get one, but I’m not keen on the livery on 90’s

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

yes, the mainline ones are in the shops now. I was going to get one, but I’m not keen on the livery on 90’s

I thought the white headlight surrounds looked a bit out of place, but otherwise it was OK. What I disliked at the time was the return of the full yellow ends and windscreen surrounds on 86s and 87s in IC livery, before the final ‘sensible’ IC Swallow livery and IC Mainline schemes were adopted up until privatisation. There’ll be none of that on my layout! :D 

3 minutes ago, 97406 said:

I thought the white headlight surrounds looked a bit out of place, but otherwise it was OK. What I disliked at the time was the return of the full yellow ends and windscreen surrounds on 86s and 87s in IC livery, before the final ‘sensible’ IC Swallow livery and IC Mainline schemes were adopted up until privatisation. There’ll be none of that on my layout! :D 

you can never have too much yellow warning panel

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

you can never have too much yellow warning panel

The strange thing is that I like banger blue, but then I grew up with little else! I think it suits the 87s, particularly. There was a little thought put into the design on many classes with the yellow wrapping around to the cabsides in many cases, or just the ends of the noses on 37s/40s/45s. I wonder why 31s didn’t get the yellow cabside window frames when they were in blue? 

Edited by 97406

• RMweb Gold

The insulators were quite fiddly to build up from little etched discs lf nickel silver, so I have salvaged some, one set off an old Hornby class 86  pantograph, and a set from the 2 recent 87s that I purchased. With the latter, a length of 0.6mm wire mounted in a pin vice was used to push the little 'plug' of metal from the original pan up from the base of the class 87 insulators, so theDSCF0388.JPG.6623423477d5c1968c3f4d2ebc4c333a.JPGy are hollow and slide over the mountings

Edited by 97406
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Those etched parts look so tiny and fiddly. Looking forward to seeing the finished item.

Lessons learnt from last time include using decent solder and flux.  The best solder is that containing 2% silver - Pb62/Sn36/Ag2, which I have in a paste. You only need a tiny amount on a joint. Also put a tiny bit of grease, vaseline, or in my case Vicks Vaporub over any holes in the pieces to stop the holes bunging up with solder.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

looks delicate, at least mine when it arrives just needs to go blue with a little modification to the roof panelling

I’ve got 3 to do, as I already have an early 87, and an 86 with crossarms that need replacing. The 87 had the Hornby crossarm pantograph, which didn’t work too well under catenary, and broke due to plastic parts. The 86 has my first attempt at the Judith Edge kit. The loco pictured above will be backdated, and will become something quite special.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Kevin Johnson said:

97406 this is looking very good.

It gets more complicated after this stage, but I’ll be doing the enhancements from the link below which should make it a little easier than last time. That soldering paste is an absolute game changer. Use a cocktail stick to apply a little bit to the joint and then heat with the soldering iron and it just flows in. Hopefully that parallel motion part that evaded me last time is within my grasp this time.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/139654-Heljan-announce-re-tooled-class-86-in-oo/page/41/#comment-4525465

Edited by 97406
  • Like 1

Just now, 97406 said:

Hattons are knocking out the banger blue 87 for less that £100! I’ve just bought one, which may just end up as 86101. 

https://www.hattons.co.uk/viewcart?returnto=https%3a%2f%2fwww.hattons.co.uk%2f430670%2fhornby_r3739_class_87_87001_royal_scot_and_stephenson_in_br_blue_as_preserved%2fstockdetail

Typical, but 87101 had jumpers on it when I remember it, so I’ll have to blow over that Caledonian livery and chop the roof on that one when it’s here

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 97406 said:

Hattons are knocking out the banger blue 87 for less that £100! I’ve just bought one, which may just end up as 86101. 

https://www.hattons.co.uk/viewcart?returnto=https%3a%2f%2fwww.hattons.co.uk%2f430670%2fhornby_r3739_class_87_87001_royal_scot_and_stephenson_in_br_blue_as_preserved%2fstockdetail

At that price it's a bargain, my 87002 royal sovereign arrived the other day and I'm really happy with it and the price.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A small victory (quite literally) is getting the parallel motion working on the pantograph. Someone who will remain nameless got the wrong size brass tube, 0.9mm, not 0.7mm. Not to worry, as I put a length of tube in a pin vice, then in the chuck of my cordless drill and I ground it down to 0.7mm with emery paper. I also reamed the holes out in the lower arms too much, but solder has bridged the gap.

Think I have sussed the approach out for the other two, and I have the correct brass tube on order.

A little teeth gnashing before work!

DSCF0393.JPG

Edited by 97406
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 47606odin said:

Typical, but 87101 had jumpers on it when I remember it, so I’ll have to blow over that Caledonian livery and chop the roof on that one when it’s here

I meant 86101, not a typo, but 87101 is a possibility worth considering. There are some good photo if the roof, with all its lack of aerodynamics. It looks great in RFD livery too. Decisions, decisions…. 

87101 STEPHENSON Carlisle 6.92

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, 97406 said:

I meant 86101, not a typo, but 87101 is a possibility worth considering. There are some good photo if the roof, with all its lack of aerodynamics. It looks great in RFD livery too. Decisions, decisions…. 

87101 STEPHENSON Carlisle 6.92

i still haven’t found what those pods on the cab roof are. No other 87 had them, and it had them whilst still in blue

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Kevin Johnson said:

The build of your pantograph is looking excellent. 

Thank you. As mentioned before, it’s the solder paste that makes it all possible. It’s not all that different to gluing now, just apply a little flux then the paste to the joint and then heat it with the soldering iron. One of those ‘helping hands’ things with a magnifying glass is also essential.

When comparing it to a photograph, I actually noticed that it is the mirror image of the real ones, but I’m not changing it as you wouldn’t notice. The next one will be the correct way round. The class 87 that is to go underneath it is currently being varnished in readiness for its transfers, so it should be outshopped over the next 2 or 3 days.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 47606odin said:

i still haven’t found what those pods on the cab roof are. No other 87 had them, and it had them whilst still in blue

I couldn’t find anything out about them either. Maybe it was an early form of antenna. There are 1970s pics of it without the pods. You could store an upturned pie in each one, though, so maybe it was there for additional driver comfort!

• Funny 2

41 minutes ago, 97406 said:

I couldn’t find anything out about them either. Maybe it was an early form of antenna. There are 1970s pics of it without the pods. You could store an upturned pie in each one, though, so maybe it was there for additional driver comfort!

i can honestly say I’d never considered pie warmers