• RMweb Gold

The Executive Selection. One of the things I recall most from the 80s was the explosion of new liveries after a lifetime of banger blue. I was quite fond of this particular colour scheme.

234258452_ExecSelec.JPG.5b2496bda3e12345a4ee9907e59ff2ce.JPG the 80s was the explosion

Edited by 97406
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Thoughts have turned to the Class 86/1 and having thought about the various options, then I'm going for an approach of the Heljan 86 and Hornby class 90 bogie frames. The underslung equipment is unique to the class, on the compressor side at least, so I'll check plenty of photographs of the class and use what I have to chop and change it. The earlier 86/0s are cheaper than the latest releases, so I may add the flexicoil suspension in the same manner as the Bachmann class 90, i.e. stuck to the bogies.DSCF0404.JPG.97b874ec9134786e2c822344719f638a.JPG

Edited by 97406
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Regarding Brecknell Willis pantographs, Gaugemaster have some of the new Heljan ones as spares on order. Bendy examples notwithstanding, the one on my 86404 is fine, though I’ve stiffened the top bit with some thinned acrylic varnish on the joint.

Hattons had an example of 86404 with damaged underframe details somewhat cheaper than the mint examples, so I have one on its way for the 86101 project. With the added advantage of a head start on the livery, the correct pantograph and a spare set of MW equipment to be had for other projects.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The loco being converted to 86101 has arrived. The bogie side frames pull off, so I'm thinking of making some mountings for the class 90 side frames out of brass tube and either gluing them into holes drilled into the new frames (filling the ends so you don't see the holes), or else soldering them to a metal plate glued to the back with epoxy. New underframe details will also be kitbashed or scratchbuilt.

20220316_141901.jpg.d80c42cd21381821def1afe2bffd124e.jpg

Edited by 97406
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

Quick question, I might have missed it somewhere, but, where I’d you get the gantries for the overheads?

https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/lx050-oo-mix--match-laser-cut-catenary-ohle-masts--headspans-oo4mm176-1810-p.asp

The droppers were scratchbuilt from nickel silver wire on a plasticard base. Use superglue to reinforce the joints where the corner bracing joins the uprights. I recommend getting some cyanoacrylate  accelerator which makes it a good material to work with. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Alan Oliver said:

What about using a small led for the headlight or fibre optic?

It's the eternal risk of removing the body at some time in the future and forgetting about it and snapping wires, as it would need to be mounted in the body. The theory is that I can bend some acrylic rod using a bit of heat and make something to guide the light from the LED in the middle. It's not the end of the world if I can't, but it would be nice. You have to try these things at least once!

Edited by 97406
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Picked up a couple of bargains (to the left) at the Alexandra Palace show today. I'm going to stop now and concentrate on paying my energy bill next, preorders notwithstanding! I'm thinking of using the 76 to jack the car up when I need to change a wheel. Or put lighter springs in. The catenary will be re-energised at 1500V DC when I run it.

DSCF0410.JPG

Edited by 97406
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Whilst the forum has been down, I have been working on the 86/1 and it is almost done bar nameplates and some trickery with acrylic box section to get the repositioned headlights (hopefully) working. Here it is with Classes 86/0, 2 and 3.

DSCF0413.JPG

Edited by 97406
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I'd like to do a Class 81 at some point, so I've been after a Bachmann 85 at a reasonable price to convert and I saw this one. I may just keep it as it is though, as it looks superb. A great shame it didn't quite happen with the real thing! 

DSCF0420.JPG

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

The layout has been the subject of increased interest of 2 cats recently, so I have had a cover made to stop them from putting the cat into the catenary. It'll also help keep dust out.

20220412_071650.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Some work is being done on the layout to make the shed lights separately switchable to the yard lights and also start to convert the far headshunt for through running to a second fiddle yard on the other side of the layout. I probably need to up my game a little when it comes to cable routing, but it's DC and it works!  

20220417_132128.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The headshunt track has been removed and replaced, moving it far enough from the rear retaining wall to allow stock to pass. Waiting for the Copydex to dry before continuing.

20220417_142031.jpg

20220417_144210.jpg

Edited by 97406
  • Like 1