• RMweb Gold

The revamped headshunt is all done, along with separately-switchable lighting in the shed and Portakabins. Currently there is a dead end at the end of the headshunt, but it will eventually meet up with a new section, possibly a second scenic bit. Time will tell,

DSCF0438.JPG

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

Looks like Flying Scotsman has sneaked in. Is it heading to Carnforth?

It’s bound for the fiddle yard stage right. I think Steamtown was still open to the public at the time, so in the mind’s eye, quite possibly!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It needs a steady hand! ;) Or in my case a tripod and a 2 second delay on the shutter opening. I use the narrowest aperture for the best depth of field, though the camera, an oldish Fuji Finepix only goes up to F13.6.

I find photographing the locos at close quarters helps make any little cock ups show up better than viewing them with the naked eye. It's a great tool.

Edited by 97406
I got my aperture wrong before! :D
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, 97406 said:

It needs a steady hand! ;) Or in my case a tripod and a 2 second delay on the shutter opening. I use the narrowest aperture for the best depth of field, though the camera, an oldish Fuji Finepix only goes up to F6.3.

I find photographing the locos at close quarters helps make any little cock ups show up better than viewing them with the naked eye. It's a great tool.

I’ve noticed the odd chair missing when I’ve looked back at photos 😂

Paul

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, PjKing1 said:

I’ve noticed the odd chair missing when I’ve looked back at photos 😂

Paul

It's the soldered droppers on the sides of the rails that look the worst - a big round blob, despite a coating of grime. A little bit of foliage gets glued over the top to hide it. There's lots of mishaps covered in a similar way up to the poplar trees hiding clumsy joins in the backscene. Water damage from wet fingers on the retaining walls has been covered with general shrubbery and climbers, too.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

just like standing on the end of Crewe platform 12 around 1990

I think that’s one of the main subconscious inspirations behind the layout. One of these days I may make the jump to DCC so I can light the locos up without them moving, but that is a large project in itself and I am stupidly busy with work at the moment. It will likely go hand in hand with the proper layout extension off the other end. I can visualise it extending all around the room eventually, but it will be done in stages.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

And now would be a good time to phase it in before expanding the layout. I’d have to get rid of my HF track cleaner and invest in some sort of cleaning wagon to get under the wires without risking hitting them with my hands! A class 40 with DCC sound would be most appealing, idling away.

• Like 1

Here’s a question regarding west coast Motorail services. Once the DVT’s became a thing, Southbound services had the Motorail NXA vans behind the propelling loco. Where were they placed on Northbound services? Behind the loco before the passenger stock, or on the rear behind the DVT? I can see them in behind the loco on Flickr, but can’t se the rear of the train to see if there is a DVT fitted. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 47606odin said:

Answered my own Question. Carlisle trains was on the back of the DVT

814A7DA4-4055-4B59-A72C-7150BAD51111.jpeg.e133c1dbd2fe7700f276645798e7f726.jpeg

They’ll have been on the back of the train so they can be uncoupled and shunted into a bay for unloading. 

In other news, to fit DCC will involve chipping 59 items of stock! Yikes!

2 hours ago, 97406 said:

They’ll have been on the back of the train so they can be uncoupled and shunted into a bay for unloading. 

In other news, to fit DCC will involve chipping 59 items of stock! Yikes!

yes, that’s been my problem previously, bought stock quicker than I bought chips

• RMweb Gold

yes, that’s been my problem previously, bought stock quicker than I bought chips

I may end up doing cab control instead! Or do 10 locos a month for 6 months

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

This is why I have started ordering sound fitted, now that some of the factory sound quality has improved 

DCC would be the ideal excuse to sort out my randomly-coloured and messy wiring. I shall read up on the matter as thoughts are turning to an extension which will double the layout's size. Possibly some sort of freight facility.

• RMweb Gold
On 22/04/2022 at 09:33, 47606odin said:

DCC is a big step, but definitely easier to do sooner rather than later. The trouble is the longer you leave it the more expensive it gets. That’s the trouble with my O gauge layout, too many loos without chips

That’s what happened to me with O gauge, at first a told myself don’t buy another loco until the first one is chipped then go onto a second but it doesn’t happen.  Thankfully over half of my 4mm locos ate all sound fitted so no more until I fit both AL5’s and the two 108’s.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, PjKing1 said:

That’s what happened to me with O gauge, at first a told myself don’t buy another loco until the first one is chipped then go onto a second but it doesn’t happen.  Thankfully over half of my 4mm locos ate all sound fitted so no more until I fit both AL5’s and the two 108’s.

It's the simplification of the wiring that attracts me to it. It was quite an involved job to put sections into what is such a small layout and make them switchable. I don't want to have to do all that again with any future sections. Plus I can run DC and DCC until it's done, and sort the messy wiring out under the existing layout as well. I am warming to the idea of it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, 97406 said:

It's the simplification of the wiring that attracts me to it. It was quite an involved job to put sections into what is such a small layout and make them switchable. I don't want to have to do all that again with any future sections. Plus I can run DC and DCC until it's done, and sort the messy wiring out under the existing layout as well. I am warming to the idea of it.

If you do go down the dcc route I can’t recommend the ECoS enough, it’s the best bit of kit I’ve ever bought.

• Like 1