RevolutioN to produce OO Gauge TU013A Caustic Soda Tank

MRDBLUE17

Hi 

Great wagons......Got 2 ECC ones & two Rebranded ones & they look great.....

My one thought is of the colour of the rebranded ones.....

I attach a picture taken in1991 of two taken in St Blazey yard......

The body colour looks to me as being a 'metalllic' blue rather than a blue grey colour....Though this could just be the suns reflection off a shiny surface.....Also the sole bars look to be a slightly redder shade.......Oddly enough the wagon that at the moment is sitting in the light of my table lamp looks the right colour without the sheen........ Hopefully my scanned pictures show this......

The wagons in question are (top two pics) TRL70703 &TRL70716......

Just to emphasise....I'm really pleased with the wagons so this is NOT a criticism but an observation

TUACausticSodaTanks.jpg.1979e198eb1ca49cf34230d57b51ec89.jpg

Cheers Bill 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, treggyman said:

Hi 

Great wagons......Got 2 ECC ones & two Rebranded ones & they look great.....

My one thought is of the colour of the rebranded ones.....

I attach a picture taken in1991 of two taken in St Blazey yard......

The body colour looks to me as being a 'metalllic' blue rather than a blue grey colour....Though this could just be the suns reflection off a shiny surface.....Also the sole bars look to be a slightly redder shade.......Oddly enough the wagon that at the moment is sitting in the light of my table lamp looks the right colour without the sheen........ Hopefully my scanned pictures show this......

The wagons in question are (top two pics) TRL70703 &TRL70716......

Just to emphasise....I'm really pleased with the wagons so this is NOT a criticism but an observation

TUACausticSodaTanks.jpg.1979e198eb1ca49cf34230d57b51ec89.jpg

Cheers Bill 

Thanks for these photos. I have bought the same combination as you. I have bought a couple of Paul Bartlett photos of the unbranded ones, just need to decide what weather date to recreate. I would love to recreate the ghost logo - but I will probably go for a simpler recreation

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, stephennicholson said:

Thanks for these photos. I have bought the same combination as you. I have bought a couple of Paul Bartlett photos of the unbranded ones, just need to decide what weather date to recreate. I would love to recreate the ghost logo - but I will probably go for a simpler recreation

Hi

Yes,I had thought about creating the ghost logo but haven't figured out how to......

I never saw the wagons painted ECC blue as the next timeframe for photography in the area was 2004 onwards & the only ones I photo'd were the conical ended ones & they were to all intents & purposes varying shades of black & grime......

Perhaps these could be produced as well ???????

Cheers Bill

55 minutes ago, stephennicholson said:

I have bought a couple of Paul Bartlett photos of the unbranded ones, just need to decide what weather date to recreate. I would love to recreate the ghost logo - but I will probably go for a simpler recreation

Stephen

Thanks for the acknowledgement of what may have been the source of some of the livery details used on these models.

Paul

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, stephennicholson said:

I have managed that effect for painted out Tiger logos on some of my printed clay tanks by adding transfers and then painting over them.  The raised lettering on the transfer then shows through.  

An alternative would be buying the ICI liveried tanks and painting over the RTR finish (though that would depend how thick the paint is on the model, I know with Cavelex wagons for example the finish is so flat you can’t make letters out through the paint).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Got mine ready for Speedlink service over the last couple of days.

They are a lovely little wagon, I just hope I've done them justice !!

20230613_164624(1280x626).jpg.289c79768fe2d27c528975fc85e278c0.jpg

20230613_164710(1280x608).jpg.850d47b842a19a1fdb9075621b97bd75.jpg

20230613_164932(1280x750).jpg.3ac33b25a20944bac669b8b47734d876.jpg

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

A really nice wagon. Mine did have a couple of minor blemishes to the finish of the barrel and had lost some white paint but nothing that couldn't be fixed with a touch of paint. The buffers have been painted black and just a dirty wash around the chassis and sole bar is now required. Nothing too dirty!

tua1.jpg.7fa27ced70fcef33c09efbc9c62de688.jpg

Also worth mentioning is the friendly service from Rainbow Railways.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Mark & crew,

Thanks for making the fitted hook actually able to function.

A 3 link coupling will clip straight in, thereby negating the hassle of hacking up the buffer beam to fit a new one.

steve

PS. Must fit the pipes now!

7D7A142B-03BE-4EFD-80D4-C54C8C7EEB2C.jpeg

Edited by steve1
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Delighted with my three examples, which arrived today. Two blue ones and the de-branded TIGER example with the black patch over the ICI logo. They run nicely and I was surprised to find that they were happy with #17 Kadees, rather than the #18s I normally use: they run happily through my points and curves without any buffer-locking issues, whether hauled or propelled. I have a nasty feeling that I might need another couple in due course, since I anticipate a rise in demand for rail-delivered clay slurry. 🙂

My only question - and in no way a criticism of what are rather nice models - is, has anybody been brave enough to take one to bits yet? Reason for asking is that one of my examples appears to have a loose weight rattling about inside. I would quite like to be able to get into the model to secure the weight if I can, but not at the risk of damaging the model, since it doesn't affect the running. There are 4 visible screws underneath, and clearly the ladder fixings would need to be popped clear of the chassis side members - definitely not  a job for tired eyes, late in the evening though!  Just interested to see whether anybody has had a go yet, is all, whilst I work up the courage to investigate!

Happy modelling,

Paul

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Grampus said:

I would quite like to be able to get into the model to secure the weight if I can, but not at the risk of damaging the model, since it doesn't affect the running. 

Happy modelling,

Paul

Hi Paul,

There is an exploded diagram of the model on the reverse of the instruction sheet.  The weight is part 11, and it is shaped to sit in the lower part of the tank barrel.  The barrel is a one-part moulding and the only way to access the interior would be to pop off one of the end caps.  You can probably do this without dismantling the rest of the model.

I am sorry your weight moulding is loose, but it is shaped so that it cannot roll around and as you said it isn't causing running problems I would be tempted to leave it as is.

cheers

Ben A.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Revolution Ben said:

Hi Paul,

There is an exploded diagram of the model on the reverse of the instruction sheet.  The weight is part 11, and it is shaped to sit in the lower part of the tank barrel.  The barrel is a one-part moulding and the only way to access the interior would be to pop off one of the end caps.  You can probably do this without dismantling the rest of the model.

Hi Ben,

thank you for the feedback and the explanation; really grateful. It's great to be able to get advice direct from source - one of the huge benefits of RMweb, I think.

Thank you also for producing such an interesting model. A useful prototype for those (many) of us who just don't have the room to run big, block trains. I shall enjoy being able to shuttle these around on trip workings to the local 'Whiting Works'. Good also to have a tank wagon to carry something other than petroleum products. I hope you might perhaps consider further, different tank wagons in due course. Thanks again.

All the best ,

Paul

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Revolution Ben said:

Hi Paul,

I am sorry your weight moulding is loose, but it is shaped so that it cannot roll around and as you said it isn't causing running problems I would be tempted to leave it as is.

cheers

Ben A.

I too have just received one with a loose weight. Actually 3 wagons, one with loose weight and one with brake lever dropped off. They seemed well wrapped with bubble wrap etc so not sure if delivery company is being a bit heavy handed?

I’ve not had chance to look further yet at fixing so useful info, other than that they look fantastic.

6 hours ago, SHerr said:

I too have just received one with a loose weight. Actually 3 wagons, one with loose weight and one with brake lever dropped off. They seemed well wrapped with bubble wrap etc so not sure if delivery company is being a bit heavy handed?

I’ve not had chance to look further yet at fixing so useful info, other than that they look fantastic.

Hi, sorry to hear you’ve had a couple of issues - the brake lever has a couple of locating points that should slot back in - I’ve seen one other like that which didn’t have any glue applied so a little dab should fix that back in place. As to the weight of an end cap is loose you can access it to glue back but if not it should settle in the bottom and not affect running.

Hope that helps 

Mark

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

Hi, sorry to hear you’ve had a couple of issues - the brake lever has a couple of locating points that should slot back in - I’ve seen one other like that which didn’t have any glue applied so a little dab should fix that back in place. As to the weight of an end cap is loose you can access it to glue back but if not it should settle in the bottom and not affect running.

Hope that helps 

Mark

Thanks Mark, there’s a hole in the solebar so looks like it should slot back in, I’ve just not had time to have a proper look. 

• Like 1

My pair of ECCI blue ones were ordered Tuesday at 12.20pm and delivered this morning at 10.20am - exactly 46 hours for the order to be processed and shifted from pretty much one end of the country to the other - now that's impressive!

And so are the wagons - no issues, both perfect and very nice! Many thanks to all involved in creating and delivering these super models.

I wonder if I can resist a 'blanked logo' clay slurry version........?🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 21/06/2023 at 22:05, SHerr said:

Thanks Mark, there’s a hole in the solebar so looks like it should slot back in, I’ve just not had time to have a proper look. 

No problem, any issues just get in touch with us directly.

thankyou

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Just received my unbranded wagon, so pleased with the model, the detail is excellent ! are there any plans for the white ici liveried wagons ? 

ben

Edited by Ben86

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Ben86 said:

Just received my unbranded wagon, so pleased with the model, the detail is excellent ! are they any plans for the white ici liveried wagons ? 

Is this the one you mean (from Paul's site)? https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/icicausticsodatua

Attractive livery, I'd be interested, assuming it's the same diagram wagon (or even if not).

16 minutes ago, andythenorth said:

Is this the one you mean (from Paul's site)? https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/icicausticsodatua

Attractive livery, I'd be interested, assuming it's the same diagram wagon (or even if not).

That’s the one, I’m no wagon expert but I think it’s the same diagram of wagon comparing the model to the link, no matter what colour I’ll be ordering a few more.

ben