Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

• RMweb Premium

Had a quick search and there is a fuel depot on Normand Road, Dysart listed in a 1943 Admiralty Fleet Order as an approved supplier of petrol and/or diesel 'into the tanks of Service Vehicles' - so, a commercial fuel supplier approved for use by HM Forces, hence demand which may justify a regular delivery by rail. Later on, perhaps the Forces' supply was removed (hence lower demand) and the rail delivery/siding was no longer required.

Link to PDF download:

https://www.navy.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/5050.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiprc2L9viCAxUDTkEAHfzDByUQFnoECCEQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2ZDyOhMsUzgCIlpOk5yvQT

Edited by keefer
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, keefer said:

Had a quick search and there is a fuel depot on Normand Road, Dysart listed in a 1943 Admiralty Fleet Order as an approved supplier of petrol and/or diesel 'into the tanks of Service Vehicles' - so, a commercial fuel supplier approved for use by HM Forces, hence demand which may justify a regular delivery by rail. Later on, perhaps the Forces' supply was removed (hence lower demand) and the rail delivery/siding was no longer required.

Link to PDF download:

https://www.navy.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/5050.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiprc2L9viCAxUDTkEAHfzDByUQFnoECCEQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2ZDyOhMsUzgCIlpOk5yvQT

Interesting how many of those locations are railway yards, suggesting (to me anyway) that they weren't all existing commercial suppliers, but some were locations set up for the purpose.

Adrian

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, figworthy said:

Interesting how many of those locations are railway yards, suggesting (to me anyway) that they weren't all existing commercial suppliers, but some were locations set up for the purpose.

Adrian

Also notable are the entries where just a street name is given. These are presumably are "Filling Depots" and the named commercial companies are "Servicing Agents". The railway locations I would think are also "Filling Depots".

Andrew  

11 minutes ago, 2251 said:

I don't think I have ever seen a colour photo before:

1959 - Parcels 'Banana

There are some about but that is very nice indeed. My other half's dad used to cadge a lift on it occasionally when he was a booking lad in Slough East 'box.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 05/12/2023 at 09:52, Metr0Land said:

Not a photo but youtube video, a tight passage close to housing in US still in use Dec23

People who live near railways say you get used to the noise. But no way in those houses could you sleep through those horns as nice as they sound!  Hope they haven't got pets

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Just found another one of W17W, looking like a beautiful copper-bronze colour.

W17W Snow Hill 4.58

You can see the design genesis of some of our recent express passenger units in that front end.

Remarkable, given the year in which it was designed.

CJI.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

46 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

You can see the design genesis of some of our recent express passenger units in that front end.

Remarkable, given the year in which it was designed.

CJI.

Other half's dad told me he thought it looked like something from another planet when he first laid eyes on it aged about nine.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

... and the influence of others from another discipline on the GWR.

https://www.baesystems.com/en/heritage/de-havilland-dh89-dragon-rapide

16 hours ago, cctransuk said:

It does demonstrate how aged, neglected BR 'blood' could be mistaken for brown.

... and how over time UV and lack of maintenance caused Crimson to fade to an almost bauxite colour.  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

and the influence of others from another discipline on the GWR.

https://www.baesystems.com/en/heritage/de-havilland-dh89-dragon-rapide

Yes, W17W was built by Gloucester RC&W in 1936.

Just two years after the De Havilland DH89 Dragon first flew in 1934.

Which was then used by GWR Railway Air Services as well.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

I reckon that Reading Signal Works would make for a nice little shelf/shoebox layout

READING SIGNAL WORKS .09.10.83. 97804 250383 97804 (ex 06003) at Reading signal works WR Reading Signal Works Class 06, 97 804

Those middle/lower pics are what inspired me to make my Reading Signal Works micro (follow link in sig) 

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, keefer said:

Even more interesting would be the Ruston 4-wh loco (numbered 20) used before the cl.06.

Which - funnily enough - has just been released by Hornby (Ruston Hornsby 88DS - see separate threads).

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1