Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

The weeds grow fast in Torquay.

Torquay Station

Or is it a line up of Pannier tanks and @2ManySpams new software has been at work ?? (See p.738 of The Sheep Chronicles !)

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, 03060 said:

Or is it a line up of Pannier tanks and @2ManySpams new software has been at work ?? (See p.738 of The Sheep Chronicles !)

Tribbles, they're filming a new Star Trek there!

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Churston Station, with a modeller's delight, not one but two bay platforms. Would have been for the Brixham twig.

Churston station (1), 1978

I'd hardly describe the short dock siding on the Up side as a 'bay platform'.  And I speak from the experience of having been into that siding on a passenger train (a 2car DMU) in BR days in order to attach a single wagon (a Conflat) of trail traffic and not having enough space to get all of the two car set into that siding clear of the trap point.

The fence along the back edge of the platform was obviously there to prevent passengrrs accessing any vehicle standing on the siding.  And I susoect the platform was in any case less than 12 feet wide along its entire length adjacent to the siding.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

The weeds grow fast in Torquay.

Torquay Station

Am I meant to extrapolate that there is a litany of enthusiasts of a specific variety of adult activity enjoyers in the vicinity? 

• Funny 4

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I speak from the experience of having been into that siding on a passenger train (a 2car DMU) in BR days in order to attach a single wagon (a Conflat) of trail traffic and not having enough space to get all of the two car set into that siding clear of the trap point.

Pictures please?

Perhaps in the "Prototype for everything corner". 😀

The students in Birmingham obviously had some of the same sense of humour as BR's engineers. Birmingham University Transport Society = BUTS.

I suppose the white warning panel was almost as visible as a yellow one.

There did once exist a supersized version of the 'Festiniog Railway Temperance Society' headboard - the long-established and well-used original is about 2'6" across but an 8' wide one was made to fit a double-decker open top bus for a tour of Glasgow. I don't think it was fitted to a train though, so BUTS above gets the award!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Pictures please?

Perhaps in the "Prototype for everything corner". 😀

Difficult to take apicture ona trains that was absolutely jam packed ona Bank Holiday Monday.  What smade me wonder at the time was why the passengers were not detrained while the shunt was carried out - apart from the big problem of getting them out and back in again.   However once I was in the job - some years later - I found out that in v certain circumstances it was permissible to move a loaded passenger train over points not fitted with a facing point lock without clipping said points - although they might well have been clipped anyway that day.

The West of england was still a good area for DMUs with tail traffic in teh early 1960s with loaded Conflats seeming to be regular event.   I travelled from Par to Newquay ona DMU tailed by two Conflats carrying cintainers and we crawled up Luxulyan Bank at a very slow pace - about 15 late into Newquay!

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 14/01/2024 at 14:18, KeithMacdonald said:

Churston Station, with a modeller's delight, not one but two bay platforms. Would have been for the Brixham twig.

Churston station (1), 1978

I wasn't familiar with this station and searched Flickr for more pictures of it and I can't think of another station whose atmosphere has been ruined so much by its "preservation".

Churston Station, Devon, England, 1957, photo by W. Potter. devon - churston station preserved 94 JL

Churston Station and bus yard
  • Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

I wasn't familiar with this station and searched Flickr for more pictures of it and I can't think of another station whose atmosphere has been ruined so much by its "preservation".

Churston Station, Devon, England, 1957, photo by W. Potter. devon - churston station preserved 94 JL

Maybe but the essential difference - like some other lines in the leisure category (rather than 'heritage') - is that it is not a preserved station.   It is now an intermediate station on a leisure line which is run as a business and is that railway's main engineering base.

Below are two photos which I took, during an IRSE visit back in 2009, n the building which is on the left in the third photo above .  they show parts if the new signalling control panel for the entire line which was manufactured in that building.

IMGP6813copy.jpg.1441ef13d79c73fcc5ada52164dd9cf4.jpg

IMGP6817rdcopy.jpg.200b6c6d1663d623cecdc97d1a9e70d7.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

At least there are still trains running through it. It could have been turned into a housing estate...

Steven B

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Maybe but the essential difference - like some other lines in the leisure category (rather than 'heritage') - is that it is not a preserved station.   It is now an intermediate station on a leisure line which is run as a business and is that railway's main engineering base.

Below are two photos which I took, during an IRSE visit back in 2009, n the building which is on the left in the third photo above .  they show parts if the new signalling control panel for the entire line which was manufactured in that building.

IMGP6813copy.jpg.1441ef13d79c73fcc5ada52164dd9cf4.jpg

IMGP6817rdcopy.jpg.200b6c6d1663d623cecdc97d1a9e70d7.jpg

So that is a bespoke design? Did it need safety validation/certification?

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

A Grange with a 51xx coupled inside bunker first-model that and wait for the helpful comments!