Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

19 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Thetecwere always a couple of interesting shunting locos there too, the exact ones varying over time. I spotted one there that was either ex-Port of London or ex-Port of Bristol, I forget which, a very smart dark blue, lined in red.

Yeah, the picture intrigued me so much that I searched Flickr for any other pics of the site and I found these by Gordon Edgar. 

Strood Coal YardRochester Coal Wharf

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Yeah, the picture intrigued me so much that I searched Flickr for any other pics of the site and I found these by Gordon Edgar. 

Strood Coal YardRochester Coal Wharf

The first of those is Strood, with that PBA31, but the second with the big cranes is surely the other side of the river at Rochester, with Thalia and Telemon. One of those cranes has been preserved there as part of the new housing that’s replaced the goods yard and riverside industries. 
I posted some before and after pics and info here

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/86750-evocotive-railway-remains-what-derelect-or-abandoned-structure-stirs-your-emotions/?do=findComment&comment=4124381

but the photos got lost. 

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

That's how they used to fill the sanding boxes in Cambridge!

I think it’s actually a device for collecting and storing all those rasping noises that first generation DMMUs emitted, so that they could be loaded into Whoopee Cushions to be sold in joke shops.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

"Built by Allmänna Svenska Elektriska Aktiebolaget (ASEA - W/No.OC0488 of 1982)" Redland, Barrow by Gordon Edgar

Redland Barrow

D2867. [HBR4-007]

What is that? Some sort of engine for moving the wagons through the plant?

The Karrier dustcart is a beaut! I can just remember dust carts with the curved sliding hatches before the compactor types came in, I had a toy one possibly Matchbox. When the bigger compactor dust carts began, sometimes the dustmen would operate the compactor at the end of our road, my brother and I would watch as the whole rear body was tilted up by hydraulic rams. There was a mesh cage on the cab roof for bulky items like matresses. The council also sent round a lorry - again a Karrier I think, to pick up waste paper - Dad put the newspapers outside tied ina bundle.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The photo was taken at Rainhill. The signalbox is visible in the background. The exhibits for the Cavalcade were stabled at Bold Colliery Sidings. We went to Bold the day after it all finished to take photos in the sidings.

• Informative/Useful 3