Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

More from "Ernies Railway Archive". A mixed lot at Tipton St.John. The footbridge was at the southern end of the station.

Your best guesses please for the following...

(1) presumably the train nearest us, on the right, is on that track because it has arrived from Sidmouth town and is facing towards Sidmouth Junction?

(2) what loco, coaches and wagon?

(3) what the train further away on the left is doing? Perhaps it's another service from Exmouth, just leaving the station, also heading towards Sidmouth Junction?

Tipton St Johns img880

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

More from "Ernies Railway Archive". A mixed lot at Tipton St.John. The footbridge was at the southern end of the station.

(1) presumably the train nearest us, on the right, is on that track because it has arrived from Sidmouth town and is facing towards Sidmouth Junction?

(3) what the train further away on the left is doing? Perhaps it's another service from Exmouth, just leaving the station, also heading towards Sidmouth Junction?

Tipton St Johns img880

The train on the left would most likely be terminating at Tipton St Johns.  They would runround in a loop at north end of the goods yard before returning to Exmouth.  Looks like a Maunsel brake and some ancient LSWR coaches and a BR Std 4 tank.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Tipton St Johns img880

Portions from Sidmouth and Exmouth were combined at Tipton St. Johns to form one train to Sidmouth Junction and vice versa so that may be happening here.

Andrew 

• Informative/Useful 4

On 26/04/2022 at 21:09, KeithMacdonald said:

Tipton St Johns img880

The train on the right is the Sidmouth to Sidmouth Jct branch train and consists of a former SECR 100 seater coach attached to a Maunsell BCK. There were 11 sets of this type, very short-lived. Formed in 1958 and disbanded in 1959/60. So this dates the photo. The SECR coach will be in crimson livery. The BCKs were then attached to Maunsell SOs and continued until the introduction of DMUs. The van is possibly the vehicle that brought the newspapers down in the morning and is now being returned empty. The engine is an 82xxx Standard 3 2-6-2, The Std 2-6-4s did not appear on the line until about 1963.

The train on the left is no longer a puzzle. In the cold light of day and with rested eyes I can see that the train on the left is a second branch set. The SECR coach is at this end. It is definitely not a GUV - the roof profile, the shape of the buffers and the canted vac pipe are giveaways. Apologies for the misleading first post!

Edited by 10sidmouth
Incorrect information in first post
  • Informative/Useful 6

1 hour ago, 10sidmouth said:

The train on the right is the Sidmouth to Sidmouth Jct branch train and consists of a former SECR 100 seater coach attached to a Maunsell BCK.

@10sidmouth - Excellent info, thanks! 🙂

Is that like the 100-seater here: https://sremg.org.uk/coach/secr.shtml ?

And the Maunsell BCK here: https://spotlog.org/locolist/class/UKPCS/Maunsell+BCK{SR} ?

1 hour ago, 10sidmouth said:

The train on the left is a bit of a puzzle. It looks suspiciously like a BR bogie Guv at this end of the train

Like these?

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/srguvandb

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

It has end doors, for loading road vehicles, so a CCT (covered carriage truck), or one of the bogie vans with end doors (but I think it is a BR four-wheeler).

The rear vehicle of the train on the left does not look like a BR bogie GUV or 4-w CCT to me. Wrong roof profile for starters.

1 hour ago, rodent279 said:

The rear vehicle of the train on the left does not look like a BR bogie GUV or 4-w CCT to me. Wrong roof profile for starters.

The roof profile looks too flat for SR CCT, and there seems to be a vacuum pipe upstand so not end doors in my interpretation of the view though it is a bit indistinct. The roof also appears to have ventilators. Are the apparent door hinges actually the emergency alarm linkage?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Artless Bodger said:

The roof profile looks too flat for SR CCT, and there seems to be a vacuum pipe upstand so not end doors in my interpretation of the view though it is a bit indistinct. The roof also appears to have ventilators. Are the apparent door hinges actually the emergency alarm linkage?

It also has oval buffers, and what looks like full length footboard. I'm  99.9% certain it's not either a BR GUV or CCT.

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Ere, you could be right!

On peering/squinting closer the things I read as horizontal hinges probably aren’t.

Its not simply one of those 100 seater coaches, very foreshortened by the near end-on view, is it?

The rather high position of the tail lamp agrees with the position on the Bluebell Railway coach, http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/1098.html

• RMweb Gold

The group "Ferrovie e Treni in Italia" has two interesting photos of ex-LMS/WD jackshaft drive shunters in it. Unfortunately, sharing is disabled on both, but if you click on this photo, then scroll forward about 4 images, they are there. 

E401 042

"Ferrovie e Treni

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Strood Coal Wharf (William Cory) 1983

Thetecwere always a couple of interesting shunting locos there too, the exact ones varying over time. I spotted one there that was either ex-Port of London or ex-Port of Bristol, I forget which, a very smart dark blue, lined in red.

9 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Thetecwere always a couple of interesting shunting locos there too, the exact ones varying over time. I spotted one there that was either ex-Port of London or ex-Port of Bristol, I forget which, a very smart dark blue, lined in red.

PBA 31 was the blue one, and ‘Telemon’ the one in the flickr pic above. The coal traffic didn’t last much beyond 1983, in fact I’m surprised the photo is dated that late. Must go and find some notes.