Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium

Well, the one I had on pre-order from Rails has arrived, 070 in blue. Very pleased with it, looks stunning (as much as anything can in that colour) and has a good weight to it. Thankfully tonight is club night so it may well get a test run!

Now just awaiting the Trainload Coal 023, coming to me via KMS Railtech. Now just awaiting the Trainload Coal 074, also from Rails. Will certainly be digging out the MGR hoppers to run them with!

Edited by Dragonfly

14 minutes ago, Peter749 said:

Back to the model - having picked up a 56 today from Rails I got it home and there was something loose inside.

Taking the body off one of small fittings in the cab that has the Dials on fell out.

Is there a way to take the interior out of the cab so I could glue the small piece back in place?

Thanks

Peter

Hi Peter, sorry to hear about the loose part on your 56.

I have just replied to your email.

1 minute ago, Grimleygrid said:

Hi Peter, sorry to hear about the loose part on your 56.

I have just replied to your email.

Yes, just saw it - very quick reply 8 mins after I sent the question  😲

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Well, my pair (Colas and DC Rail) arrived with me today. They really are works of art, every detail looks spot on to me. 
I’m impressed to say the least and the sound file is very much like the real thing.

Well done Cavalex you have put yourselves straight up with the big boys.

Can’t wait for my DC Rail tug to arrive in the future.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 29/01/2024 at 10:15, RBE said:

Update for all with gear issues. It looks like after testing a fraction of the locos were packaged but not always correctly positioned on the cradle before screwing down, this pivots the bogie unduly under the pressure of the screws and appears to have popped the worm cover (part 31 below) off of the offending bogie causing this issue. It's an easy fix but one that requires in the first instance to take the body off and attempt to clip the cover back on though the access holes in the side of the chassis block (69 below). Whilst easy it can be fiddly and if it proves a problem the tower can be accessed by removing the circuit board above and clipping the cover back on. We can understand if you do not want to do that and instead prefer the retailer or ourselves to do the work but in the first instance doing the job yourself is the fastest route to resolve the issue.

image.png.9babac7cedcaa499cdf396ec2852fc09.pngimage.png.78725adbfb1d78e8cc8d45e0217558a3.pngimage.png.ef65e600ac8dd24fee03a8d0ad2a03be.png

Mine arrived today and one bogie is locked solid. Both clips are in place but the drive shaft is displaced so I need to get to the top to reassemble it. I have removed all the screws from the circuit board but there is something preventing it from being lifted anybody any idea?

Mark

Edited by Mark

My two also arrived today!, managed to have a quick inspection of them before the parents decided they wanted them for my birthday. They did look stunning and they’ll be running as soon as I can get them on the layout! Only 2 and a half more weeks to wait!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/01/2024 at 11:12, meld said:

Just received my clutch of Cavalex 56's from John Dutfield models this morning via Personal Delivery which is service above and beyond IMHO, especially as there is a slight matter of the Dartford Crossing between locations !!!

Many many Thanks to Ken and Heather for stunning and superb service.

1st one out of the box is 56120, which will be on the work bench soon to see some weathering so it can pull my rake of Accurascale Cawoods PFA's and hopefully allow it to look something similar to the pictures I have of it running through the Old Manchester Victoria on a loaded export coal service from way back in the mists of time.  

Still got the biggest grin on my chops at the quality of this model! 

Meld.

20240128_092737.jpg

Lovely pics and same idea as me!

My couple of 56’s arrived and run in ok and 56120 in ex-works condition hauls a rake of Cawoods …

IMG_3221.jpeg.54f82da266c32223bdff8e8b0625cc7d.jpeg

IMG_3218.jpeg.a8d17c67e798acc0b6d0b68041b8dda1.jpeg

It meets my other new 56 heading the other way, 56077 in original Railfreight livery.

IMG_3222.jpeg.23dd9be0cf3025992b088d31862df10c.jpeg

Congratulations to Cav and Alex and to all those involved in delivering these mighty fine models 👏

• Like 17

My 56049 has arrived and I'm yet to remove it from it's cradle but I must say I'm very impressed with the template and adhessive strips included to aid the placement of the photoetch parts. Hope other manufacturers take notes.

There are 8 shops in all who are selling the class 56s, and I think we are all struggling with the overwhelming number we have to send out. So for those who are still waiting, please be patient. We are getting them despatched as quickly as we are able.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

33 minutes ago, Mark said:

Mine arrived today and one bogie is locked solid. Both clips are in place but the drive shaft is displaced so I need to get to the top to reassemble it. I have removed all the screws from the circuit board but there is something preventing it from being lifted anybody any idea?

Mark

Problem sorted. Just had to remove the sticky tape and pads. 

IMG_6701.jpeg

IMG_6700.jpeg

IMG_6702.jpeg

IMG_6703.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Dragonfly said:

Well, the one I had on pre-order from Rails has arrived, 070 in blue. Very pleased with it, looks stunning (as much as anything can in that colour) 

Best colour for a 56 besides blue large logo 😛

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Grimleygrid said:

Hi Paul,

Really pleased to hear that you like your 093, I think that could possibly be my favourite!

I notice in the second photo that you posted it appears that one of the handrails is missing, can you please check and confirm?

Apologies if it is but we can get you a replacement sent out in the post.

Hope that helps.

I’ve just checked and it is indeed missing, to be honest I hadn’t even noticed because I was so impressed with it.

I’ve just sent a private message.

Many thanks 

Paul

• Like 2

093 and 120 on extensive testing before introduction into traffic.

Class56s(1).jpg.f4538389d05b3f38b5bccd3da66b8639.jpg

So I've just been going through my records and my 56 fleet was reduced from 4 to 1 a couple of years ago after moving on 3 Dapol locos which I'd converted to DCC and added lighting. The Hornby Rail-freight was £100 3.5 years ago and over £200 by the time I'd fitted sound. I was due to purchase a Hornby LL 56 in 2022 but didn't bother as I'd pre-ordered the Cavalex's, plus the price for a DC version had gone up to £218 and I really didn't want to put sound into another model which didn't have adequate provisioning.

I'm surprised but the 47 is now about 16 months old, it feels newer! It was £289 with sound on pre-order and disappointingly doesn't have working fans but still a great model considering it replaced a Lima 47 which was also moved on after again being converted to DCC plus lighting. So my 56 fleet is now at 3 with the arrival of the two Cavalex LL's, the 47 will have to fill the gap for now unless perhaps a Cavalex BR Blue 56 is still available when my finances stabilise. Once these have settled in, I'd like to try my hand at double heading (Consisting) I struggled to get it working last time I tried but might have a better chance with two identical locos.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

We have two of these fine models in our household -  having seen the real thing up close at York a couple of years ago my teenage son was dead set on a Colas one which we pre-ordered. I went down in person last Friday to pick up from John Dutfield and succumbed (as I rather suspected I might) to a spare Blue 56008 for myself which replaces a Hornby 56013 as my 'Romanian' example. 

By way of contrast, I was having a browse at the final Hattons pre-owned items added today and one of them was a built MTK 56. Anyone who has been following the thread I started in Classic/Collectable will know my guilty pleasure at finding and restoring MTK models so I now have a companion on the way for my Cavalex one 🙂

https://www.hattons.co.uk/1562092/kitbuilt_kb3055_po_class_56_56133_crewe_locomotive_works_in_br_large_logo_blue_built_from_unknown_/stockdetail

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

We have two of these fine models in our household -  having seen the real thing up close at York a couple of years ago my teenage son was dead set on a Colas one which we pre-ordered. I went down in person last Friday to pick up from John Dutfield and succumbed (as I rather suspected I might) to a spare Blue 56008 for myself which replaces a Hornby 56013 as my 'Romanian' example. 

By way of contrast, I was having a browse at the final Hattons pre-owned items added today and one of them was a built MTK 56. Anyone who has been following the thread I started in Classic/Collectable will know my guilty pleasure at finding and restoring MTK models so I now have a companion on the way for my Cavalex one 🙂

https://www.hattons.co.uk/1562092/kitbuilt_kb3055_po_class_56_56133_crewe_locomotive_works_in_br_large_logo_blue_built_from_unknown_/stockdetail

Cavalex v kit built ……beauty v the beast. I’ve got a potato in the air fryer looks more like a grid than the MTK one .

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Patriot87003 said:

Lovely pics and same idea as me!

My couple of 56’s arrived and run in ok and 56120 in ex-works condition hauls a rake of Cawoods …

IMG_3221.jpeg.54f82da266c32223bdff8e8b0625cc7d.jpeg

IMG_3218.jpeg.a8d17c67e798acc0b6d0b68041b8dda1.jpeg

It meets my other new 56 heading the other way, 56077 in original Railfreight livery.

IMG_3222.jpeg.23dd9be0cf3025992b088d31862df10c.jpeg

Congratulations to Cav and Alex and to all those involved in delivering these mighty fine models 👏

They look smashing as does the layout. Makes me want a Railfreight one, but will wait for one that is or can become 56135. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Is it me or should the bogies be more forward, the steps on the real ones are more under the door, and the front wheel axle centre should be in front of the door hinge side not behind. 

Edited by IOW O2
correction
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, IOW O2 said:

Is it me or should the bogies be more forward, the steps on the real ones are more under the door, and the front wheel axle centre should be in front of the door hinge side not behind. 

Here is a tech drawing of the 56. The centre of the front wheel axle looks to be slightly behind the door hinge but in front of the hand rail. The steps are certainly set back from the door.

image.png.36a49c8493cb49e0bcf98920ff18b0f8.png

I have tried to compare with the model - the best I can. Lots of assumptions (re drawing reproduction and angles of photo taken) but if there is a difference it is very small.

image.png.b9e2080cd920d58978a992a472f2e8c7.png

Edited by zr2498
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, owentherail said:

That's DCC sound....... I pre ordered a DCC fitted. Not sound . I'll wait 

yep the dcc fitted ones sold out before the sound ones. All 3 varients were in stock last week, but by time i was paid they had all gone

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, zr2498 said:

Here is a tech drawing of the 56. The centre of the front wheel axle looks to be slightly behind the door hinge but in front of the hand rail. The steps are certainly set back from the door.

I have tried to compare with the model - the best I can. Lots of assumptions (re drawing reproduction and angles of photo taken) but if there is a difference it is very small.

That’s as near as damn it. There will be a little play in the bogies anyhow so they swivel, don’t derail, etc.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

Think I should have said the whole of the axle should have been in front of the handrail hinge frame.  Best pic I can find below.  it is subject to copyright.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=7w2kz9%2Fw&id=84F95A6E919EFBCD6F099CF5F7DC1FA22FF7E905&thid=OIP.7w2kz9_wEi-pyuQVtGJHVQHaEK&mediaurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2F-TI7WxdDWug%2Fmaxresdefault.jpg&exph=720&expw=1280&q=class+56+locomotive&simid=608042759849843710&form=IRPRST&ck=B53A1F10E64246FD35C22318991C8EFD&selectedindex=7&itb=0&ajaxhist=0&ajaxserp=0&vt=0&sim=11&cdnurl=https%3A%2F%2Fth.bing.com%2Fth%2Fid%2FR.ef0da4cfdff0122fa9cae415b4624755%3Frik%3DBen3L6If3Pf1nA%26pid%3DImgRaw%26r%3D0

Edited by IOW O2
correct link, spelling