RMweb

Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

1 hour ago, Midnight-Freight said:

I've just bought a DCC ready version and understand there are issues with the lighting when using other decoders. I've fitted mine with the Hattons decoder that came with their 66. At present I have headlight and marker lights working but no tail lights, fans or cab lights. Given the extra lighting functions the Hattons 66 had am I likely to be able to get the remaining functions working and if so could anyone offer any advice on how to go about setting it up?

Lighting is loco specific. You will not get correctly operating lighting unless you purchase a pre programmed decoder. If the dip switches are set for a standard decoder or DC you will get basic lighting only.

• Like 1

On 04/02/2024 at 22:02, 87023Velocity said:

56001. [FBR14-007]

Good call about 56001. 

For info, I believe it's only ever been done once in OO, by Dapol (p/n D80).

Just look at those white wheel linings and pristine, shiny new livery just waiting to go on a bodyshell worthy of the livery...

Of course, we would need some (...plenty of...) Yeoman wagons to pull*.

Go on Cavalex, you know you want to...

* from a standing start on an incline!!!!

• Friendly/supportive 3

7 hours ago, RBE said:

Lighting is loco specific. You will not get correctly operating lighting unless you purchase a pre programmed decoder. If the dip switches are set for a standard decoder or DC you will get basic lighting only.

Ok, I must have missed that info when I pre-ordered. It does make the £189 DCC ready option seem a bit pointless if you then have to buy a separate decoder to get something as basic as tail lights to work though. 

• Agree 2

For run 2 I’d like to see:

DCR 56103

Rebranded fast line (in today’s condition)

Colas 56302 with ‘Peco’ name plates

These class 56’s are by far the best RTR locos I own. Sound, lights and detail has set a new standard for me and certainly looking forward to Cavalex class 60!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Midnight-Freight said:

Ok, I must have missed that info when I pre-ordered. It does make the £189 DCC ready option seem a bit pointless if you then have to buy a separate decoder to get something as basic as tail lights to work though. 

That's not really the case. Basic functions work with any decoder. You only need the programmed one if you want proper controllable lighting functions. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 minutes ago, RBE said:

That's not really the case. Basic functions work with any decoder. You only need the programmed one if you want proper controllable lighting functions. 

Sorry, maybe I've misunderstood. I'm not too worried about full control. I'd be happy with the tail lights working

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Midnight-Freight said:

Sorry, maybe I've misunderstood. I'm not too worried about full control. I'd be happy with the tail lights working

Either way you still need to buy a decoder (unless running on DC only) so it makes more sense to buy a pre-programmed one and get the full functionality.

• Agree 2

My wish list for batch 2

56089 in EW&S as it’s my machine and was the first one in that livery 

56104 in coal sector with Immingham depot plaques as she survived to the end 

56054 in Transrail 

Any Dutch example and/or Dutch Transrail

56004 or 6 in blue as again like with 104 carried the livery late so an excuse to run it with EWS 56018 and any later examples.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, lego legs said:

Seeing as we're making suggestions for run 2, I'll throw my suggestions in:

- Transrail Dutch

- 56081 in rail freight grey red stripe when it was super shunter at Dove Holes

- Debranded Fastine

- 56311 in DCR grey

Transrail on Dutch always worked well for me like eggs on toast …

im certain original 56036 will be made at some point , I’d be interested in one 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/02/2024 at 15:05, RBE said:

We are currently in contact with ESU regarding the fan use on DC. Our spec and the instructions received from ESU (they designed the circuit board) suggests the dip switch settings for the fans on DC however we need to wait for the ESU engineer to get back us as to why they don't seem to be working currently.

Any update on the issue, holding back for now on ordering watching a stock level at the mo.

22 minutes ago, IOW O2 said:

Any update on the issue, holding back for now on ordering watching a stock level at the mo.

We are still waiting on ESU currently, however is the ability for operating fans on DC so important that you need to risk not getting the model that you want? Most models don't have working fans at all.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, RBE said:

........is the ability for operating fans on DC so important that you need to risk not getting the model that you want? Most models don't have working fans at all.

Your right, however seeing the DCC ones working they look good.☺️

19 minutes ago, IOW O2 said:

I agree they do look great. We will keep you informed as soon as we know more.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For ideas for future releases, how about one of the locos that were running in triple grey with no branding, not just good for people wanting that particular loco but also perfect for anyone renumbering to any sector or Transrail.   (It would be a great choice for the 60 for the same reasoning, just adding Mainline / Loadhaul/EWS branded triple grey to the potential renumbering list)

• Like 4

1 minute ago, The Fatadder said:

For ideas for future releases, how about one of the locos that were running in triple grey with no branding, not just good for people wanting that particular loco but also perfect for anyone renumbering to any sector or Transrail.   (It would be a great choice for the 60 for the same reasoning, just adding Mainline / Loadhaul/EWS branded triple grey to the potential renumbering list)

It's possible however it is a breeze to remove the sector locos with some white spirit on a cotton bud.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RBE said:

We are still waiting on ESU currently, however is the ability for operating fans on DC so important that you need to risk not getting the model that you want? Most models don't have working fans at all.

Certainly glad I went for the DC Rail one, really is getting to the point where I have more loco's than track 🙄 

2 hours ago, IOW O2 said:

Actually I was quite surprised but the latest Hornby HST does. The really interesting thing is it is not that obvious in the technical description on their site.

16 hours ago, RBE said:

I think you mentioned in a previous post that Cavalex were looking at released a decoder that was set up for these locos?

I asked Rails and they are mapping decoders for those people who purchased DCC Fitted.

At the moment they don't have them for sale on their website.

2 minutes ago, Peter749 said:

I think you mentioned in a previous post that Cavalex were looking at released a decoder that was set up for these locos?

I asked Rails and they are mapping decoders for those people who purchased DCC Fitted.

At the moment they don't have them for sale on their website.

We are just sorting out the logistics of getting these to customers. The lokpilot file for the Cavalex 56 by ESU is currently available to download free of charge from their website should you have the ability to blow your own decoders.

• Informative/Useful 2

5 minutes ago, RBE said:

We are just sorting out the logistics of getting these to customers. The lokpilot file for the Cavalex 56 by ESU is currently available to download free of charge from their website should you have the ability to blow your own decoders.

I was looking at something like that but I don't think my knowledge is good enough.

I will order a Decoder from DC Kits.

Thanks

Peter

12 minutes ago, Peter749 said:

I was looking at something like that but I don't think my knowledge is good enough.

I will order a Decoder from DC Kits.

Thanks

Peter

DC Kits will be able to blow ESUs file on for you. I think currently they have programmed their own to access functions  but of course the ESU version is the correctly tailored one that we recommend.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

ADDENDUM: all fixed. Was a dislocated worm gear clip on the bogie, simply clipped it back into place.

So up the club tonight to run-in the 56 pair, 98 is running fine. 81 is making a slight grinding/slipping noise perhaps? Doesn’t quite seem as smooth either. Any thoughts?

Edited by PeterH
Fixed!

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, PeterH said:

So up the club tonight to run-in the 56 pair, 98 is running fine. 81 is making a slight grinding/slipping noise perhaps? Doesn’t quite seem as smooth either. Any thoughts?

Sounds like the unclipped gear tower issue that was mentioned a few pages back - an easy fix

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, RBE said:

Either way you still need to buy a decoder (unless running on DC only) so it makes more sense to buy a pre-programmed one and get the full functionality.

..or you've already got a decoder you want to re-use. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/02/2024 at 22:02, 87023Velocity said:

56001. [FBR14-007]

Good call about 56001. 

The mentions of 56001 and the cracking picture above reminded me of the Stewarts Lane open day that my Dad took me to during April 1988. I was only 11 … amazing to think it was almost 36 years ago! I’ll resist mentioning the open cab door! 😜 😇
678274617.771404.jpeg.cb7b89f19bb9d7043ed84e0f513a3326.jpeg

Since running the new models in, I’ve had a running session and both loco’s performed very well. As a few others have mentioned in the thread, the performance of both loco’s was very similar so was able to double-head on DC. 

• Like 7