Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Really brings out the exceptional depth and detail on those bogies …

still dithering about getting one …it’s not core fleet but does look great …

If you do the it’s definitely worth going for one with sound, even if you get a DCC ready one and fit it yourself.

• Agree 1

no sound options left. If Mr Lego is lurking around, can he or others answer; I see that the Lego cav 56 decoder on offer on the website lists functions but only one for fan [?] is this a misprint as surely the fans need 2 functions as separately operated..

8 minutes ago, Marcoblanco said:

no sound options left. If Mr Lego is lurking around, can he or others answer; I see that the Lego cav 56 decoder on offer on the website lists functions but only one for fan [?] is this a misprint as surely the fans need 2 functions as separately operated..

It looks like this refers to fan sound only, but what we see as a command function is not necessarily an output function. A single command function can control more than 1 output function.

A good example is the simply turning on the lights with F0 turns on white & red lights at front & rear. This is 4 output functions.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Marcoblanco said:

We are currently working on an all in one plug and play upgrade kit with Cavalex Loksound V5 and ESU Speaker in one package. If you can wait a tad longer they will be available to purchase soon.

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Thought I would add my weathering pic.  Managed to picked up the last 08 DC only, from John Duffield in Chelmsford on Saturday, gave me 5% off as well! Only 4 other DC variations left at the time. Lovely model, added crew, pipes and small weathering, want it to look like a couple weeks out of works, easiest body removal ever.

Had to trim back all sand pipes as they completely stopped both bogies moving and jamming up completely, causing derailing even on gentle curve (@ radius 7), no probs after trimming.

Only thing I criticise (I'm sure others wouldn't) is there is not much flywheel momentum. Running on to an isolated section on GM controller 50 speed setting, it stops 1 inch past, in comparison AS Deltic 6", 10 year old Bach 37 (solid buffers one) weight 50g lighter, runs on 5". Full speed AS 2ft, Bach 18" Cav 4". 

Also unsure how the kinematic coupling action is supposed to work, not connected to bogies so doesn't turn on bends like coach ones do. But good for the bash plate on front. Pic 2 below shows a mod I did so it turns on my l/h curves with a nail to push below pocket.  All in all fab haul 24 coaches no problem.

2.JPG

IMG_3147.JPG

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Bouquets to Cavalex: I contacted them through their form on their website with a query regarding the LokPilot settings on behalf of a friend (yes, really!).

Alex got straight back to me with a response: there is a downloadable file on the ESU website for the Cavalex class 56 LokPilot settings, which I have duly downloaded and saved - the link is https://projects.esu.eu/projectoverviews/8 

Said friend has received his DCC-ready 56 and is buying a suitable LokPilot 5DCC decoder locally here in Melbourne. I have the LokProgrammer so I said I would be more than happy to put the settings onto his decoder.

• Like 1

One nice detail I appreciate if/when seen and applied well, is 'wiper wear / smears' on the screens - plus the associated dirt around the areas not wiped.

I sometimes have a minor issue with the kinematic coupling if it's been static for a while, so I invert and HoG physically moves it side-to-side up to 20 times, then it works just fine, with no derailments, and my Bachmann 100-tonne TEA bogie tankers are sensitive to these couplings as well.

I've not had any issues with the sand pipes either.  Sort-of got used to the gentle 'clicking' as the bogies turn.

Al.

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, RBE said:

We are currently working on an all in one plug and play upgrade kit with Cavalex Loksound V5 and ESU Speaker in one package. If you can wait a tad longer they will be available to purchase soon.

Excellent news. It would be useful if the card showing the function list was included in the package, or perhaps a download reference from the web site.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SRman said:

Bouquets to Cavalex: I contacted them through their form on their website with a query regarding the LokPilot settings on behalf of a friend (yes, really!).

Alex got straight back to me with a response: there is a downloadable file on the ESU website for the Cavalex class 56 LokPilot settings, which I have duly downloaded and saved - the link is https://projects.esu.eu/projectoverviews/8 

Said friend has received his DCC-ready 56 and is buying a suitable LokPilot 5DCC decoder locally here in Melbourne. I have the LokProgrammer so I said I would be more than happy to put the settings onto his decoder.

@RBE would it be possible to get these settings  in a text file rather than in a proprietary ESU file format please?

Fairly sure there will be quite a few people without a lokprogramer wanting to set their decoders up with decoderpro or with their controller.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I have been messing around with alternative decoders in my 56, I thought it might be worth taking some of the dcc discussions into its own topic to keep it separate from the general discussion (and easier to refer back to)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

@RBE would it be possible to get these settings  in a text file rather than in a proprietary ESU file format please?

Fairly sure there will be quite a few people without a lokprogramer wanting to set their decoders up with decoderpro or with their controller.

Attached is the export from the Lokprogrammer.

Note: It isn't as simple as just programming these CV's into the decoder manually because of the indexed CV's. DecoderPro has an import lokprogrammer cv list option though.

56.docx

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, IOW O2 said:

Thought I would add my weathering pic.  Managed to picked up the last 08 DC only, from John Duffield in Chelmsford on Saturday, gave me 5% off as well! Only 4 other DC variations left at the time. Lovely model, added crew, pipes and small weathering, want it to look like a couple weeks out of works, easiest body removal ever.

Had to trim back all sand pipes as they completely stopped both bogies moving and jamming up completely, causing derailing even on gentle curve (@ radius 7), no probs after trimming.

Only thing I criticise (I'm sure others wouldn't) is there is not much flywheel momentum. Running on to an isolated section on GM controller 50 speed setting, it stops 1 inch past, in comparison AS Deltic 6", 10 year old Bach 37 (solid buffers one) weight 50g lighter, runs on 5". Full speed AS 2ft, Bach 18" Cav 4". 

Also unsure how the kinematic coupling action is supposed to work, not connected to bogies so doesn't turn on bends like coach ones do. But good for the bash plate on front. Pic 2 below shows a mod I did so it turns on my l/h curves with a nail to push below pocket.  All in all fab haul 24 coaches no problem.

2.JPG

IMG_3147.JPG

I'm not quite sure what the nail does? The Kinematic works like any other kinematic coupler. They don't swing with the bogie but they move to the side under load like any other. Personally I am not a big fan of them but when bogies sit back a bit like class 56 ones do then bogie mounted couplings can get restricted by the sand boxes etc. My ethos moving forward with design for Cavalex is to use bogie mounted couplers wherever possible.

As for the flywheels, they are a standard size used in US locos. There is enough weight in them for what they are meant to do, that being to smooth out any uneven movement in the drivetrain, the power bank on DCC also does this even better, and the interia is built into the decoder settings. I am not sure what inertial run on in DC really proves in this instance, driving on DC should be full controller control anyway, no one is chopping to zero and hoping the train stops in right place on interia only. 

I will be the first to admit that our loco is very much designed for DCC with DC being accommodated as best we can with the complexity that multifunction DCC provides.

DCC (and very much DCC sound) is where the hobby is going and DC is kind of like still trying to make modern software to also be compatible with Windows XP. 🤷

Edited by RBE
  • Like 6
  • Agree 3

7 hours ago, zr2498 said:

Excellent news. It would be useful if the card showing the function list was included in the package, or perhaps a download reference from the web site.

It is already included in the booklet and on the quick ref card in the box.

Edited by RBE
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, RBE said:

It is already included in the booklet and on the quick ref card in the box.

Yes, I had the quick ref card for the sound fitted (my first 56 purchase).

I had to settle for a DCC ready for a second 56 (too slow). That box did not have the card so on upgrading to sound, I copied the first one and printed onto photo paper. I know the info is in the booklet, but it would be handy to have the ref card in all boxes.

4 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

Yes, I had the quick ref card for the sound fitted (my first 56 purchase).

I had to settle for a DCC ready for a second 56 (too slow). That box did not have the card so on upgrading to sound, I copied the first one and printed onto photo paper. I know the info is in the booklet, but it would be handy to have the ref card in all boxes.

That's odd. I thought the card was in all of them, maybe not. It is in the booklet for all of them certainly.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, RBE said:

I'm not quite sure what the nail does? ........My ethos moving forward with design for Cavalex is to use bogie mounted couplers wherever possible.

As for the flywheels, they are a standard size used in US locos. ........ I am not sure what inertial run on in DC really proves in this instance, driving on DC should be full controller control anyway, no one is chopping to zero and hoping the train stops in right place on interia only. 

DCC (and very much DCC sound) is where the hobby is going and DC is kind of like still trying to make modern software to also be compatible with Windows XP. 🤷

Thanks for info.  The nail is to push the coupling to follow curve as if it were on the bogie. (not explaining this well). Hope the 60 has bogie ones.

I use GM simulation/inertia controllers so use a lot of coasting to slow before applying the brake to stop.  Only tested against others after slowing into terminal platform first time and stopped shorter than expected when brake applied .  Has much better control than the others now I've done more running (a lot) today.

At least with your DC we get the switchable cab lights, I like them on, esp. when room lights in dusk.  Just need the fan answer, Great model and has relegated the Deltic now.

Edited by IOW O2
correction

34 minutes ago, RBE said:

That's odd. I thought the card was in all of them, maybe not. It is in the booklet for all of them certainly.

26 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

No ref card in my (non sound) 074, just the details in the manual 

15 minutes ago, Wayne 56089 said:

No cards in any of my 4 DC ones just the booklet.

Yep definitely no card in the DC ones. Maybe it can be included as part of the DCC sound upgrade pack when available

• Agree 1