RMweb

DVLA scam email

steve1

A warning chaps.

I’ve just reported a scam email that purported to be from the DVLA about a failed payment. 

The giveaways were the usual dubious grammar and incorrect placement of the £ sign. Also the email address to contact that included “sunshinewindowtint” (!)

Be careful out there…

steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Dave-5-5-7 said:

do you still have the e-mail?

No. I forwarded it to the gov.uk phishing address*and then deleted it, without clicking on the link.

steve

*report@phishing.gov.uk

• Like 4

4 hours ago, steve1 said:

No. I forwarded it to the gov.uk phishing address*and then deleted it, without clicking on the link.

steve

*report@phishing.gov.uk

shame, I love scam e-mails. I usually follow the link and put abusive text in the fields or press 1 and keep them going round in circles if I'm really bored. 

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Free At Last said:

Not having given DVLA my email address I would treat any contact from them as a scam.

Nothing wrong with registering with organisations like that. As Steve suggested, it's all about checking carefully any email, that asks you to do something IMMEDIATELY or ELSE, especially if they want a payment of any type.

In fact I consider it essential for things like car registration, because in Oz we have no windscreen sticker any more, as a fall back.

So if you forget, you cop a fine for something like $750. No way do I want to pay that, I've got better things to do with my money. There is no leeway for paying, it's due by the day, or you're driving around unregistered.

One year, I paid mine at 11.00 of the following day, printed out a receipt and went for a drive, not 15 minutes from home, there's a set of blue & red lights behind me!

I'm glad I printed out the receipt, they were happy with that, but got a warning that they would be checking that my payment hadn't bounced, if so I would be seeing them at my home address!

We even had a retired Police Commissioner (Chief Constable to you), get pulled up for expired rego, but was able to pay it on the spot - everyone gets that chance, if it's only a few days.

• RMweb Gold

I keep getting emails about 'we pay for your shopping'.  Also a new one today asking for testers to try out Persil power tabs.  Mostly they come to an email addy I don't use for internet shopping so stand out like a standing out thing.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Dave-5-5-7 said:

shame, I love scam e-mails. I usually follow the link and put abusive text in the fields or press 1 and keep them going round in circles if I'm really bored. 

I thought clicking on the link runs the risk of allowing hackers/malware to access your computer.

Darius

• RMweb Premium
On 22/06/2021 at 17:27, Steamport Southport said:

There's a new NHS one going about as well.

One about Covid passports.

Not received it myself, just thought I would warn people as apparently it looks convincing.

Jason

I've just received this one (and forwarded it to report@phishing.gov.uk).

Here is a screen shot:

image.png.53fc2a55950f4ab6a45430114a1a078e.png

image.png.649b448702b59c7bc6dd6783efe47076.png

When hovering on the button 'Get Digital Passport' , the link 'https<colon slash slash>nhspassports<dot>co<dot>uk<slash>digital' is displayed.

When sandboxing the site name, DNS errors are returned.

Hope this helps!

Dave

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Am sure most on here aren't fooled but in case you have eg elderly relatives etc - a current trend seems to be 'Try out product X for free'

The email then has 'click here to unsubscribe' or 'click here to view in your browser'.

Email forwarded to report@phishing .gov.uk  - I would forward them to that nice gent in Nigeria but he seems to be offline lately.

Does anyone know if anything actually happens at the report@phishing.gov.uk site?

• RMweb Premium

You'll probably get a reply like this one:

image.png.fb161aff3edd30e8b88d571cf16c2e4f.png

Hope this helps!

Dave

Edited by DIW
Removed double image
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1