Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

GWR carriage found in New Forest

petethemole

It might be like 'restoring' a DH Mosquito for flight - you throw away all the wood but can keep some of the metalwork. But the woodwork will be vital as templates. I would guess. Whether any rail organisation can afford in these days to drop that much cash on a project of that size must be doubtful. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

As it has already been heavily vandalised according to the report, I can't see it making the auction, I fear a fire might be it's fate.

It should have been donated and removed as soon as it was unearthed.

Mike.

Ah, but someone saw ££££ and I'm sure that if it does go up there will be a sob story and an insurance claim for £10,000

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/07/2021 at 16:03, Artless Bodger said:

Any more news on this carriage? Had a look at Charterhouse's website today, can't see the railway carriage in the results, but if this shepherd's hut is anything to go by!

https://charterhouse-antiques.com/product/shepherds-hut

Apparently it failed to sell - bidding reached £6200 though! :O 

https://www.national-preservation.com/threads/ten-grand-for-a-grounded-body.1419697/

Andy

Edited by 2mm Andy
added link
  • Thanks 2

Hmm, so it did attract reasonable bids, but someone wants a lot more for something that is really only scrap wood that has sat in a garden for many many many years.

Some people are greedy, they didn't care about it that much until someone pointed out it's historic importance.

• Like 2

So, Ebay beckons? Rare!

Bit surprised the owner recognised it enough to get some enthusiasts in to identify it, might have expected more that they would have burned it and sold off the metal bits as scrap. What would genuine GWR fittings fetch from either restorers or 'collectors'?

I would have bitten their hand off for £6200!

As long as they moved it. Best they will get.

However I would have personally just moved it to somewhere where it could be undercover. Four wheel saloon. Can't be many of those about.

Never understand so called enthusiasts wanting to scrap historic items and making "jokey" comments about arson. That could easily be conserved. There are things in the NRM in worse condition. That L&B carriage for example.

Jason

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Never understand so called enthusiasts wanting to scrap historic items and making "jokey" comments about arson. That could easily be conserved. There are things in the NRM in worse condition. That L&B carriage for example.

Jason

Not sure that the L&B coach in York museum is quite as bad as that GWR coach - last time I saw it, it was complete with an underframe and wheels, upholstered interior and windows, all of which the New Forest GWR coach seems to be lacking. I do agree that the New Forest coach body is deserving of rescue if possible though - there aren't many coaches of that period surviving, and if a North Staffordshire Railway coach can be restored from the composted remains found near Rudyard Lake (discovered by an RMweb member I think!) then the New Forest coach is surely restorable (subject to finance, etc.);

https://knottycoachtrust.org.uk/history-of-no-23/

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Could be one of the broad gauge coaches that were narrowed by chopping a section out the middle.  I've just had a look at Russell part 1 and that leads me to question if it really is a GWR vehicle.  Not only is there no exact match in the book, none of those in the book exhibit the same features of this one, in particular the arched windows.