Bachmann announce NEW Class 47

AY Mod

5 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

I agree that the ETH jumper is such a distinctive element that it should really be part of the supplied build rather than user-added from a parts pack

Is it easy to apply and accurate I wonder ? Bachmann out a few supposedly ETH ones without even bothering before to put the socket 

10 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Is it easy to apply and accurate I wonder ? Bachmann out a few supposedly ETH ones without even bothering before to put the socket 

I don't expect it is difficult to apply and I know it will stimulate the debate about how RTR super detail models should be. However it is part of the 'face' of a standard ETH version. Note that some ETH 47s had the equipment on the bufferbeam rather than above so, for example, 32-800DS 47 404 'Hadrian' did not in real life have the prominent jumper receptacle on the lower cab front. 

http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=1175051037200

• Agree 1

The ETH plug on the front of the loco is easy to fit. You need to attach the cable to the junction box first, then fix the plug and the junction box to the loco and set them up so the cable is aligned with the plug. Do not glue the cable to the plug, as it will cause a problem if you need to remove the body obviously. See the photos here. 

Fitting both ends with all the bits took me around 15 minutes, so it's not a time-consuming task. This is the Kernow exclusive 47484 . This time some of the bogie parts, such as half the brake actuators had already been fitted, so that saved some time. 

IMG_20220930_092941.jpg

IMG_20220930_092924.jpg

• Like 5

Class 47/7 47711 'Greyfriars Bobby' BR Blue (Large Logo) Diesel Locomotive (DCC Sound)

Arrived this morning at 8:30 after being sent by Rails of Sheffield yesterday at 11:30 - incredible service!

A stunning model with fantastic sound, it runs like a dream and is very smooth and quiet with the sound switched off.

It's my second Bachmann model in space of a week and my third overall, I've yet to be disappointed with any of them. I actually cancelled an order for the new Hornby Class 56 in Large Logo livery which ironically also came into stock this week also - I chose this instead. Really glad I did, I love the little features such as the machine room detailing which even has lighting. I doubt the Hornby will even have cab lights and probably have an 8 pin socket, immediately limiting the available functions that can be controlled without significant modification and no room for a speaker of course.  

Edited by APT Fan
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, APT Fan said:

I doubt the Hornby will even have cab lights and probably have an 8 pin socket, immediately limiting the available functions that can be controlled without significant modification and no room for a speaker of course.  

The Hornby what? Hornby are now moving to 21 pin sockets but I agree that the configuration of these latest Bachmann offerings is superior, both Plux22 and 21 pin.

4 hours ago, APT Fan said:

Class 56 as stated above?

The new release Hornby Class 56 does have a 21 pin socket but whether that has been used to add any further lighting configuration I don't know. Meanwhile the heavily weathered Bachmann 47 526 has also arrived...

IMG_20220930_145116.jpg

Edited by andyman7
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Re Class 56s, don't forget that Cavalex have theirs coming out soon-ish, and it's looking to be a quite significant upgrade in terms of appearance and features from the Hornby versions.

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, Gary H said:

47 experts please.

Could I renumber 435 to 525 ??

I note as built, 435 had fixed 3 part rad grills as apposed to the Serck shutters on 525.

How is 435 modelled ?

Looking at eBay images , 435 is modelled with 2 part serck, dominos and what appears to be a round boiler port ( spanner ?),

Depends what era you are looking at , as I believe they all had the 3 part grills being built and were all converted , 435 I reckon dates from about 1977-1981

edit. It seems 525 was a swap directly from 0000 headcodes to opaque markers at or before 1977, so you’d have  an issue there

B0D94BBF-9E93-4608-A41F-524D8BC36EA1.png

Edited by rob D2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, roythebus1 said:

What amazes me about threads such as this is how pedantic today's modellers are about small details on locos yet can't be bothered to close-couple coaching stock.

Or turn off the loco red taillights when pulling coaches or wagons!

Edited by Tony Walker
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

What amazes me about threads such as this is how pedantic today's modellers are about small details on locos yet can't be bothered to close-couple coaching stock.

Something I'm trying to rectify with my modelling. However, all the things that are needed to be done to get good quality running that looks realistic are extensive, and not for the faint hearted. Bear in mind that the first of these is accepting that 2nd radius curves are out, and settling on a minimum of approx 36 inch or more radius throughout a layout, something that many will not accept as they want to cram as much in on their layouts as possible.

Edited by Ian J.
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Tony Walker said:

Or turn of the red taillights when pulling coaches or wagons!

These are generalisations when the hobby has always contained a broad church, from scenic modellers to which the trains are background to modellers who obsess on every tiny hatch or rivet on a loco but are content to operate these on a layout without signals or with manifestly improbable civil engineering.

I remember many years ago visiting a modeller whose subject was BR SR EMUs. He had a layout that was functional but crude in general terms but spent a lot of time telling me about the efforts he had to go to to ensure that his EMUs had double bolster bogies rather than single bolster, From normal viewing distance this distinction was indiscernible but the general presentation of the layout was very much so.

My point was not as a critique of the layout which is an entirely personal matter, but about how that individual's perception was so skewed to a factor that obsessed him. 

Edited by andyman7
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

25 minutes ago, Tony Walker said:

Or turn off the loco red taillights when pulling coaches or wagons!

In fairness half the locos on the market don't allow that unless you manually disconnect the lights inside or flick a switch underneath.

BUT, I do also draw parallels here. Realistic lighting is massively important on modern locos IMO. You'd far easier notice incorrect or inactive lighting with a loco going at speed than you would a small detail on a bogie.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

...My point was not as a critique of the layout which is an entirely personal matter, but about how that individual's perception was so skewed to a factor that obsessed him. 

I'm stuck in that state with front of cab footsteps on these Bachmann 47s. For all that they're not that bad from normal viewing distances, I can't stop seeing how poor and unprototypical they look in photos on here, and remembering that Lima did a better representation purely from a moulded on version on their tooling thirty something years ago.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roythebus1 said:

That’s because to a majority it appears  , the locos are the stars , the prima donnas, the reason for a lot of other modelling, thus the focus tends to be on them .

How many TMD models are there ? The operation is a dull as a wet Sunday in Scunthorpe , but they serve as a “ showcase “ for the locos 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

That’s because to a majority it appears  , the locos are the stars , the prima donnas, the reason for a lot of other modelling, thus the focus tends to be on them .

How many TMD models are there ? The operation is a dull as a wet Sunday in Scunthorpe , but they serve as a “ showcase “ for the locos 

It's a beautiful autumn Sunday here in  Scunthorpe today.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, roythebus1 said:

And seem happy to run on narrow gauge track