Bachmann announce NEW Class 47

AY Mod

Nostalgia is still strong ! 
I’ve got a hot potch of 47s all by Bachmann . A couple of blue ones, one original , one from more recent releases, which hark back a bit to my childhood .

Recently though I’ve been renumbering a Mainline one and LL one to go with my intercity and RES ones - an early 90s theme from when I had no interest in trains for ten years - I just like the colours ! And maybe they’d look good on an old oak style layout.

Pride of the fleet is 47016 Atlas - the only full respray I’ve done. Saw that one for real in 98, but mines in 94 condition as I can’t face weathering it as it’s so SHINY !

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/11/2022 at 11:47, rob D2 said:

Nostalgia is still strong ! 
I’ve got a hot potch of 47s all by Bachmann . A couple of blue ones, one original , one from more recent releases, which hark back a bit to my childhood .

Recently though I’ve been renumbering a Mainline one and LL one to go with my intercity and RES ones - an early 90s theme from when I had no interest in trains for ten years - I just like the colours ! And maybe they’d look good on an old oak style layout.

Pride of the fleet is 47016 Atlas - the only full respray I’ve done. Saw that one for real in 98, but mines in 94 condition as I can’t face weathering it as it’s so SHINY !

Ive still got some Lima 47’s..
For the most part, they got it right.

ive no Heljan chubby duffs.. they were just too wide.

its scary to think some of my Lima 47’s have now outlived the real thing….

Edited by adb968008

• 2 weeks later...

The weakest part of the Bachmann 47 to me has always been the marker lights (not spaced quite right and slightly too large).  I've always bought ones with black light surrounds as that makes them look much better.  Having just purchased 47 572 in large logo, I was looking at pictures of the real thing and came across this, which shows 47s did have at least two positionings of marker lights.  First time I've ever noticed it.  I don't know how many across the class had the closer together ones though.

Class 47/4 No. 47572 & Class 47/0 No. 47116.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, BR(S) said:

The weakest part of the Bachmann 47 to me has always been the marker lights (not spaced quite right and slightly too large).  I've always bought ones with black light surrounds as that makes them look much better.  Having just purchased 47 572 in large logo, I was looking at pictures of the real thing and came across this, which shows 47s did have at least two positionings of marker lights.  First time I've ever noticed it.  I don't know how many across the class had the closer together ones though.

The one on the left in your picture (47572) hasn't got marker lights, it still has the original domino treatment, as this photo shows:

47572  Crewe Works. 26-03-1981

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BR(S) said:

Have a look at 47541, which was different again:

Eastfield

(Flickr link and not my photo)

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1

Yeah when you start looking

closely you do start to wonder whether there was a “standard” position. Some are offset towards bottom, some centralised, some towards top…. I wonder if it depends on works

Doing the work?

On 31/10/2022 at 19:34, rob D2 said:

I am old .

50 , where did that come from ??

Anyway , i wonder also if people of very late 80s and 90s to privatisation fixate on freight as the cross country diet of just HSTs and 47s , albeit in swallow colours , was a bit ... dull 

I'm 60 in January so my layout is designed, with minimal "Rule 1" penalty points on the modeller's licence, to represent:

1968 - the year I started primary school next door to the WCML.  The fantastic livery variety, with green diesels with yellow bibs and full yellow ends, the new Rail Blue in multiple variations (some with yellow bib, and multiple double arrow applications) electrics in yellow bib, full yellow end with white cab roof, and full rail blue, and coaches in maroon and blue grey, plus traditional wagonload freight is worth the expense in building up the fleet.

1975 - the first year I went "inter-city" to London.  New class 87s, new air conditioned coaches, still some green diesels with TOPS numbers and still some wagonload freight.  Not as boring as some might think.

1988 - the year I first had a "Railrover".  The earlier days of sectorisation, new DMUs (150 and 156) alongside old DMUs, massive variety of freight traction in Railfreight and the new triple-grey liveries alongside good old "banger blue", extensive loco haulage on summer Saturday traffic and the last years of Class 45, and 85.  Another expensive period to model!

1993 - the last year I had a "Railrover".  Still good variety on freight which by now had started the fightback to retain traffic and gain new flows, the last traditional DMU workings in the Midlands alongside the new "Centro" 150s, the complete "Sprinterisation" apart from the Regional Railways loco hauled to Holyhead and the Cambrian, and the standardised Intercity fleet but which included both electric and diesel haulage, often with "borrowed" RES and Railfreight Distribution liveried Class 86 locos, so a bit more variety than you might at first think.

The dates chosen are very deliberate for both personal and stock interest and probably are baffling to those who assume there was little of interest in 1968 and 1975, but there was.  It doesn't surprise me that some retailers appear to say that diesel interest models are now becoming more popular. despite bing born before the end of steam for me steam has always been a funfair ride, on a heritage line or on a railtour.  Nostalgia for me involves big blue things and trains wearing a coathanger.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

I’ve not waded through the previous 54 pages, but anyone spotted the error on 47712? Not sure if affects other locos too, but both of mine have the bogie frames fitted at the wrong ends. The Hawker Sidley speedometer box should be under the No1 end radiator grills. Nice they’ve done this variation but shame put them on the wrong way around…

81B70100-F0C2-4107-9270-13B86C37A95E.jpeg

FEF74AE7-1E02-427B-9A93-A9AC12B00EDB.jpeg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GD said:

I have had a quick look on flickr and Bachmann have it correct

On the two ScotRail 47712s I have, they most certainly do not have it correct - a friend also has a 47712 and it is the same. I can't comment on others.

Evidence - The Nº2 end of 47707 - no rectangular HS speedo box and cable on the centre axlebox, if you compare this to my photos above. 

47707 19830615 01 Glasgow QS.jpg

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, GD said:

I have had a quick look on flickr and Bachmann have it correct

And the A side of 47707, with the Nº1 end closest to the camera, complete with the HS equipment on the centre axlebox.

47707 19930130 09 Waterloo.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Or if you actually look at 47712, it is right: https://flic.kr/p/2iDcPe3

(Not my photo)

Roy

For its preservation period, as done by Bachmann, it is indeed. First time I’ve noticed this on a loco, which I didn’t even think was possible as the bodyshell connections are on the other side. Live and learn… :-)

I’ll ask my contacts at LSL what the story is, intruiging!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Re-47712 and speedocables. If you don't know, then ask the right people. The below explanation comes from the great guys at LSL, who maintain 47712 and to whom I'm grateful for the explanation.

The saga of the positioning of the Electronic speedo drive was all to do with water ingress. Originally they were located at Nº2 end as currently seen on 47712. However, during the days of steam heat they had issues with water/steam finding its way into the enclosure, this led to the drive unit being relocated to Nº2 wheel on the Nº1 end bogie. The ingress issues persisted as it is quite common for water to find its way out of the equipment room floor onto the bogies, particularly down A Side, due to the amount of air drain pipes etc that pass through the floor. Once steam heat had been done away with the speedo drives slowly started to migrate back to a dry (in theory) Nº2 end at Nº8 wheel position.

According to the original Brush writeup a connection was provided in both locations for the speedo. The original wiring harness was in the form of a big rubber plug, this was later modified to a hard-wired connection. The plugs could either fall out or get pulled out by anything foul, also water ingress was an issue.   

It is strange how some had them moved back to Nº2 end and others didn’t, such as 47501’s, which was still located at Nº1 end until recently. This was relocated due to a wiring fault.

As I said, live and learn!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 9

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Re Large Logo 47711 Greyfriars Bobby.

Was thinking of a renumber and according to the great CL47.co.uk site only 705, 711 and 712 were painted in Large Logo. Have trawled through various internet sites and can find plenty pics of 712 in the livery but none of 705. Can anyone confirm if 705 did indeed receive Large Logo ???

On another topic, were the headcode boxes on the Large Logo and later Scotrail Livery version all the same on each loco ?

Thanks

22 minutes ago, RBC said:

Re Large Logo 47711 Greyfriars Bobby.

Was thinking of a renumber and according to the great CL47.co.uk site only 705, 711 and 712 were painted in Large Logo. Have trawled through various internet sites and can find plenty pics of 712 in the livery but none of 705. Can anyone confirm if 705 did indeed receive Large Logo ???

On another topic, were the headcode boxes on the Large Logo and later Scotrail Livery version all the same on each loco ?

Thanks

I thought it was just 711 and 712 of the 47/7s that ever carried Large Logo. I thought 701-710 were all in BR Blue (with grey roof) before Scotrail.

when you say headcode boxes the same, what do you mean? 701, 702, 703, 705, 707 all had flush fronts at one end in Scotrail livery - 711 gained flush fronts later when in NSE livery. 704, 706, 708-717 all had the standard arrangement of disk headcodes at one end and marker lights at the other

2 hours ago, Legend said:

47705 Lothian , never had Large Logo livery . Only 47711/712 . So You are a bit restricted I'm afraid

That sounds about right since I couldn't find any photos of 705, below from the CL47.co.uk site which sent me on the search for 705.

LIVERIES

D1957
~ BR: Monastral Blue (Brush)
~ BR: Monastral Blue (Standard)
~ BR: Monastral Blue (Grey/silver roof)
~ BR: Monastral Blue (Large logo (grey roof))
~ BR: ScotRail (blue stripe)
~ BR: Network SouthEast (revised)
~ BR: Parcels (red/dark grey)
~ Post-BR: Waterman
~ Post-BR: RES

21 minutes ago, GordonC said:

Did they not both have the car headlight initially before swapping over to the standard square ones?

In Large Logo guise I thought they both had the car headlight type.

Under the impression the square type were fitted when they went in for the Scotrail Livery repaint although I stand to be corrected.

2 hours ago, GordonC said:

I thought it was just 711 and 712 of the 47/7s that ever carried Large Logo. I thought 701-710 were all in BR Blue (with grey roof) before Scotrail.

when you say headcode boxes the same, what do you mean? 701, 702, 703, 705, 707 all had flush fronts at one end in Scotrail livery - 711 gained flush fronts later when in NSE livery. 704, 706, 708-717 all had the standard arrangement of disk headcodes at one end and marker lights at the other

Gordon,

Sorry I should have been more specific.

It was the headcode box type/variations whilst in Scotrail Livery prior to any transfers south.

Was thinking of renumbering the current new tooling 712.

Thanks