Dapol N Gauge O&K Hoppers

Stuart A

• RMweb Premium

There were reports on the N Gauge forum of several of these wagons arriving with the couplings broken. It's possible that someone in the factory was a little careless whilst putting the wagons into the cases.

Return the wagon to the retailer for replacement/refund.

Steven B.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 06/02/2023 at 12:43, MrSimon said:

Has anyone else had issues where the coupling has snapped?  Like a fool I got two each with a broken coupling - I’ve made one good out of the pair but Dapol don’t supply the coupling as a spare.

811BD297-39C1-4B85-9B3B-B24370E9B00C.jpeg.37fb4a1ecec2b951be6ddc455b2e6b4c.jpeg

It looks like it’s made from very flimsy, brittle plastic, so I’m not surprised it’s broken - I would have thought something tougher would be needed for something like a coupler - but I was surprised that it can’t be replaced.  

79F12E53-7ADD-49FA-A43C-3CAB1B44F4D9.jpeg.9ccac7deb98ccf826f8363bfbeeda6f5.jpeg

It’s also quite an effort to get into the model to swap the couplers over - I’m not surprised they seem ‘heavy’ with all the bits, I can’t help feeling some of the over-complication has left room for the running issues to be designed in.  The chassis is cast as are the ends (the wedge shaped bits at the bottom of the picture above) - they form part of the side of the end moulding, and the sides clip into them so they’d have to be replaced by something printed to bring the weight down if weights an issue for you.

I reckon the wagon with no couplers will go in the bin, which feels wasteful.  I can’t help feeling the others are going on eBay if the couplings keep snapping.  The price of the wagon I expect better and I hope it’s not a sign of how things are going to be with Dapol wagons going forwards.

To be fair, the weight isn’t an issue once you’ve added spacers (or washers as some people have) to the bogies and they run very well. I find the intermediate couplings a bit of a struggle though and whilst I appreciate the good intentions of them, I’ll be replacing them with some custom WHWWs ones in due course. 

Edited by Revolution Mike B

• RMweb Premium
On 06/02/2023 at 12:43, MrSimon said:

Has anyone else had issues where the coupling has snapped?  Like a fool I got two each with a broken coupling - I’ve made one good out of the pair but Dapol don’t supply the coupling as a spare.

811BD297-39C1-4B85-9B3B-B24370E9B00C.jpeg.37fb4a1ecec2b951be6ddc455b2e6b4c.jpeg

It looks like it’s made from very flimsy, brittle plastic, so I’m not surprised it’s broken - I would have thought something tougher would be needed for something like a coupler - but I was surprised that it can’t be replaced.  

79F12E53-7ADD-49FA-A43C-3CAB1B44F4D9.jpeg.9ccac7deb98ccf826f8363bfbeeda6f5.jpeg

It’s also quite an effort to get into the model to swap the couplers over - I’m not surprised they seem ‘heavy’ with all the bits, I can’t help feeling some of the over-complication has left room for the running issues to be designed in.  The chassis is cast as are the ends (the wedge shaped bits at the bottom of the picture above) - they form part of the side of the end moulding, and the sides clip into them so they’d have to be replaced by something printed to bring the weight down if weights an issue for you.

I reckon the wagon with no couplers will go in the bin, which feels wasteful.  I can’t help feeling the others are going on eBay if the couplings keep snapping.  The price of the wagon I expect better and I hope it’s not a sign of how things are going to be with Dapol wagons going forwards.

Hi Simon, I reckon I could 3D print new couplings; if you want to send me the wagon with the broken bits I’ll happily have a look (it may not be quick though!). Seems a crying shame to throw it. 

• Agree 1

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Therein lies the dilemma. When we do the next batch, do we change the colour to silver or keep the grey to maintain compatibility?

I am inclined towards the latter but would be interested to hear others opinions on this matter.

54 minutes ago, Adam1701D said:

Therein lies the dilemma. When we do the next batch, do we change the colour to silver or keep the grey to maintain compatibility?

I am inclined towards the latter but would be interested to hear others opinions on this matter.

Dilemma indeed! I'd side with silver, since it's prototypically correct, however I can see the mileage in making them match. Selfishly, silver on future runs would mean I only have another 6 to mask up and repaint into silver, too.

There are a few inaccuracies in the tampo printed labelling and signage on both the 4mm and N models, which you may well have picked up on anyway Adam. Feel free to give me a shout if you wanted to know more, about these or anything Mendip related as I've spent enough time with the real things. 

Jo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

You're changing the shades of grey on Intercity liveried models to match the prototype rather than existing models so do the same on the hoppers. If silver is done I'd imagine many would upgrade - releasing grey models onto the second hand market for those who are happy to expand their trains.

Steven B.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 05/09/2023 at 14:25, Adam1701D said:

Posting as Mike the modeller, I’d like to see them done in silver but I fully understand that you’re stuck between a rock and a hard place. 

I’ve got 19 of the later Yeoman ones which once weathered look acceptable and I see no need to replace them. I’m sure with some sensible weathering I could get the silver ones to match the grey ones.

I feel that the fact you’re inclined towards the latter indicates that you’d like to get it right. And there’s certainly no harm in that Adam. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 06/09/2023 at 12:47, Steven B said:

You're changing the shades of grey on Intercity liveried models to match the prototype rather than existing models so do the same on the hoppers. If silver is done I'd imagine many would upgrade - releasing grey models onto the second hand market for those who are happy to expand their trains.

Steven B.

I came here to say this! I understand the dilemma, but I'd definitely update to silver.

• RMweb Premium

I’d say sort the coupling issue.  The grey/silver can always be matched by the modeller with weathering or paint, but the colour’s irrelevant if the wagon has to be sent back…

Also, make sure it’s clear in the wagon description if the colour is changed - there’s already enough of a lucky dip with the couplings without introducing another variable

Edited by MrSimon
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 05/09/2023 at 14:25, Adam1701D said:

Hi Adam

What is the chances of a 2nd run happening? I am starting to build up a train but the centre hoppers in original Yeoman are becoming scarce. Wondering if I should start a train knowing a new run will help me complete it or will I have to resort to ebay "bargains"

3 hours ago, Ed-farms said:

Hi Adam

What is the chances of a 2nd run happening? I am starting to build up a train but the centre hoppers in original Yeoman are becoming scarce. Wondering if I should start a train knowing a new run will help me complete it or will I have to resort to ebay "bargains"

Should you need to bolster numbers, don't forget pairs of outers in the middle of a set, coupled buffer to buffer are common to see

Jo

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Ed-farms said:

Hi Adam

On 05/09/2023 at 13:25, Adam1701D said:

When, rather than if, by the sound of it. 

4 hours ago, The Pilotman said:

When, rather than if, by the sound of it. 

I hope you are right, only reason I ask is given some shops crashed their prices to around 50% off it doesn't usually bode well to me for something to get a 2nd run when cut by that much to clear, but we can live in hope

18 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Should you need to bolster numbers, don't forget pairs of outers in the middle of a set, coupled buffer to buffer are common to see

Jo

Thanks, I had not thought of that. Doesn't seem to be a shortage of outers at present