Ingleford Wharf: 1870s canalside inglenook on the "M&WJR" in 00, and Victoria Quay: a 1900s WIP in 0

Schooner

• RMweb Gold

Is it just me or do those old time wagons look odd having the wheels so close to the ends?!

Regards Lez.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Is it just me or do those old time wagons look odd having the wheels so close to the ends?!

If you've been brought up on 16' 6" minerals and 17' 6" merchandise wagons on 9' 0" wheelbase, probably so. If you've been brought up to believe that the ideal goods wagon is 14' 11" over headstocks on 9' 0" wheelbase, not so much. Even so, I find 14' 0" or 13' 6" wagons on 8' 6" or 8' 0" wheelbase look a bit knock-kneed.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Posted (edited)

Too kind as ever @drduncan

State of things at the close of play at the quay:

20240515_115550.jpg.97f1d139a3c954f9c95defa0ab1a7e38.jpg

Dried and roughly faired. Close, 'tho I need to recheck not against the photo of the 282, but against the photo of the station staff on the platform, which will give me the 'running line vibes' inspiration/information needed. I think the overall level of the ballasting should be a little lower, so the rail stands clear (to show off @Tricky's lovely trackwork!) and more of the stone texture shows through, to give contrast to the 'sidings' behind.

20240515_115352.jpg.ebde0ca7b83e56345966d78109dd1789.jpg

Some running, coupling and buffing gear for the LSWR bar wagon*. Pointwork test completed successfully, the wagon runs everywhere the 4W'lers go just as easily. This bodes well for future motive power and rolling stock options :).

A drop of paint on it, the Siphon and the wagon interiors was more statement of intent than serious attempt, but is nicer to look at than primer :)

Tissue-as-canvas for the Siphon roof was another solid 7/10 investigation. The roof still looks trashed, and I should make a new one...but the canavas treatment is pretty effective, it does hide a multitude of sins, and, if modeled with a tarp over the most obviously damaged end (not unreasonable, I think?), pretty in keeping with an end-of-life as-built early Siphon. 

*'tho I have a load of deals in mind for it. What do we think?

Down the wharf:

20240515_115456.jpg.09bb58b6bc5adc751761aa189e825288.jpg

Capping roughly painted, and

20240515_115516.jpg.da6e2ca573c240e51aff2edf5e25b4b9.jpg

...towpath relaid.

20240515_115421.jpg.87fece3e42dd3f84c13bb3e24eb5dc34.jpg

First crack at red for the ballast wagons, and a play with some dark washes around doors/drybrush highlights etc on the others.

This is still a learning exercise really. Come time for transfers I may well strip (service, fettle, tidy) and repaint all the wagons. At the very least will be a touch up to be closer to 'newly painted', transfers applied, and then weathered to taste. Weathering likely to be a quick wash and drybrush to highlight relief and blend the transfers, then a waft of brake dust/sandstoney powders to suit. Any suggestions welcome!

That's it for now, thanks popping by :)

Edited by Schooner
Sp!
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Thought it was my glasses.......

• Agree 1

I was rather enjoying the bucolic soft focus effect and was expecting it to lead to a full on embracing of all things GW…

…Alas, it seems I must continue to live with disappointment.

D

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

He said it, not me!

Well, you could hardly claim bucolic beauty for the Midland. Dark satanic mills, yes; bleak pennine backdrops definitely - but not quite the rural idyll of cricket in the village green and old maids on bicycles etc etc.

[Of course, all this is an invented rural tradition and while I admit the existence of village green cricket I’m not sure about old maids on bicycles.]

D

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, drduncan said:

Well, you could hardly claim bucolic beauty for the Midland. Dark satanic mills, yes; bleak pennine backdrops definitely - but not quite the rural idyll of cricket in the village green and old maids on bicycles etc etc.

Not sure I quite agree given how much Midland there was round my way and into Wales 😉

Edited by Fair Oak Junction
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, drduncan said:

not quite the rural idyll of cricket

No, but plenty of cheap third returns for outings to Headingley, Old Trafford, Trent Bridge, Edgbaston, or Lords.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

No, but plenty of cheap third returns for outings to Headingley, Old Trafford, Trent Bridge, Edgbaston, or Lords.

True! 

D

Have you got space for one of these at your Quay? Just thought I'd draw attention to it here as I came across the new kit online this week.

Schute-freigestellt-1024.jpg

Hull dimensions are 485mm long and 100mm wide, so it's a good chunky size.

It's from Germany but pretty similar to many barges used here too. I imagine it could also be the basis for various modifications.

Available from:

http://www.miniaturmuensterland.de/

• Like 8