Ingleford Wharf: 1870s canalside inglenook on the "M&WJR" in 00, and Victoria Quay: a 1900s WIP in 0

Schooner

3 hours ago, Nick C said:

Somehow this thread seems like that sort of place where such persnickety would be appreciated!

A bit like knowing that the BR symbol had the top arrow pointing to the front / bow/ pointy end of Sealink ships, which meant it was right insofar as the corporate image book was concerned, but visually 'wrong'. 

Another useless pub quiz factoid 😂

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
On 20/01/2024 at 10:32, Pete Haitch said:

Mr Schooner - having introduced me to this rabbit hole, I hope you'll forgive me for placing this request here as my searches are drawing blank. Can anyone advise me where I can obtain a suitable 4mm filler/manhole, or a pannier filler and cap? Many thanks,

Pete.

20240120_095804.jpg.c2b4b00f9733378d6bcfbeb6feafe50c.jpg

P.S. 'Rivets' are waterslide ones from @railtec-models

Thats amazing!  How did you apply those transfers? 

I've tried using them and find them impossible.  The carrier film is so fine that it just disintegrated when I tried to slide them.

Thanks,

Dave.

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DLT said:

Thats amazing!  How did you apply those transfers? 

I've tried using them and find them impossible.  The carrier film is so fine that it just disintegrated when I tried to slide them.

Thanks,

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Thanks. I have tried some of the small sizes of rivet and either couldn’t see them, or could only manage short lengths of 3 or 4 rivets. These were much larger and easier to use:
1 x Item 9229 [4mm]: Rivets, white: 1¼ inch diam, 3 inch spacing between centres [GBP 5.75]
1 x Item 9229D [4mm]: Double rivet strips: 1¼ inch diam, 3 inch between centres [GBP 5.75].
Both from @railtec-models

The tanks were prepared with a spray of plastic primer and a light seal of gloss varnish. The rivet strip was cut to length and taped to the tank adjacent to where the rivets were required. I then used a small paint brush to slowly saturate the backing card with warm water until it ‘released’ the carrier film and rivet heads. A cocktail stick was then used to gently move the carrier film into place on the lightly wetted tank. Once these were dried in place, I would use a paper mask to spray just those rivets with gloss varnish and leave it for nearly 24 hours to set and harden.  This sealed the rivets in place so that they were not wetted and released by the water being used to apply the next ones. I tried brush varnishing but however frugal and gentle I tried to be, the varnish released the transfer so that it would move, and some the rivet heads came away from the film.  To be fair to Railtec , the only time there was really any problem with rivet heads coming away was either when I hadn’t used enough water, or I hadn’t been patient enough before getting stuck-in with the cocktail stick; the first of these being the cause of the second– a quick realisation that this was operator error solved the problem.

Two observations:
The double rivet strips are absolutely brilliant.
Once I had practised with this larger size rivet, I found the insanely small ones easier to use.

These tanks will be wagons Nos 1 & 2 of the Cornish Lamp Oils fleet.  I haven’t used Adobe Illustrator for about 20 years but may have to send Railtec an AI file to see if they can produce the necessary livery transfers for me.

Thanks to @Schooner for letting some old Lugger use his thread.

Pete.

Tanks green.jpg

Edited by Pete Haitch
  • Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much Pete.  I nearly binned them, but maybe I'll have another go 

Cheers, Dave.

PS Apologies to Schooner for thread hi-jack

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pete Haitch said:

Thanks to @Schooner for letting some old Lugger use his thread.

2 hours ago, DLT said:

PS Apologies to Schooner for thread hi-jack

Not at all, it's a rare pleasure to see some modelling going on in this thread! Also

384127699_325095110178292_35455883060640

old luggers are a particular favourite.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

So...I've decided I don't like the recent update to the track, nor the groundwork around it. It's had all the usual 'have a cup of tea', 'sleep on it', 'go away and come back again later' etc, and still doesn't fill me full of the joys of springtime so up it comes. New track and turnout ordered.

It also turns out a point motor is U/S...but that's not really an issue cos so's the whole layout! Somewhere along the line either track power has been lost, or is shorting across somewh-

Ah. It's possibly shorting across the new whitemetal bufferstop at the end loading dock. Right anyway, that's a future-me problem!

By way of cheer ups, I thought I'd have a crack at some modelling - popping together a couple of Mousa Models' Midland pre-diagram low sided wagons (with a high awaiting wheels before completion). These are a delight, though not perfect*.

I also forgot to take any pics, so obvs had to hit another project - the Diagram 3D O1 (4 wheel) Siphon, in 7mm:

20240315_190008.jpg.524b9d3cd15a7e768db479bd16d9b7d3.jpg

Giving the PVA a day to set firm (and, again, some wheels to turn up) before finishing up the plastic bits. D3D do not maoe the most detailed kits, perhaps, but I always thoroughly enjoy putting them together, they are not too expensive, and there is no reason they could not be the target of a super-detailing spree.

If anyone is able to provide decent evidence of the actual strapping arrangements, I'd appreciate it! Trying to squint at 120y/o photos on a phone screen is not the ideal research approach. Apparently. Who knew?!

Next up is this:

20240315_190650.jpg.a5fe614a9f5962571f70bac184bb2aa1.jpg

...once I've found someone else's build to follow :) I have it on good authority one can never have too many D.299s** and so this Slaters offering is to compare/contrast with the metal ABS kit of the same, built a few months ago. 

I also stripped and re-painted the varnished stock for Ingleford

20240315_202238.jpg.2828eb4d0ccbd2bd73ff949e2765003f.jpg

...and began the process of upcycling the first kits I ever made for this project so that they will might be fit for purpose!

Away for another spell but it's only a short stint, so more soon hopefully :)

*Lovely individually sprung buffers, lovely individually sprung wheels, but the latter foul the former and so can't really spring much at all. 

** He says, certain that he could indeed have too many D.299s for an LSWR coal-and-clay wharf. But it's good to have some semi-expendable kits to muck about with as I learn the pros and cons of the different 7mm kit makers.

***Dunno about you, but I reckon I absolutely nailed the colours this time...

PS. Stock looks more plausible than anything else at least!

lol.jpg.f7031da77780437b3822374741aa5175.jpg

Edited by Schooner
Sp etc
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Schooner said:

I also forgot to take any pics, so obvs had to hit another project - the Diagram 3D O1 (4 wheel) Siphon, in 7mm:

20240315_190008.jpg.524b9d3cd15a7e768db479bd16d9b7d3.jpg

I've been much tempted by these since it looks like the sort of kit sleepy me could successfully make.  Would look good alongside my old Bonds 'O' Gauge wooden models.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

And if I got it right, it’s 7mm? One single point, one three way point, no more? I think you can now settle down to have a happy and contented old age.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Northroader said:

And if I got it right, it’s 7mm? One single point, one three way point, no more? I think you can now settle down to have a happy and contented old age.

I'm sure the turntables and capstans will make shunting more interesting?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Northroader said:

And if I got it right, it’s 7mm?

Correct.

32 minutes ago, Northroader said:

One single point, one three way point

Correct.

Mr Rice would've gone for a 3-way and single slip, but less is more?! And @Tricky has the chops to keep the 6' radius of the running line constant through the 3-way, which is a) bloddy clever b) keeps rollinh stock options wide open and c) provides a strong bit of future-proofing, so the quayside could form the nucleus of a larger layout...

Oh, just a single and a 3-way apart from

31 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

the turntables and capstans

😇

Just another mico Inglenook, same old same old :)

• Like 6

I don't want to alarm anyone, but I've had a thought.

blackadder_the_third_baldrick.jpg

After seeing Vicky Quay in the flesh, finding all surprises to be good ones, and quickly running a tape over a D.299 (the Reference Wagon. What else?!) and the layout, it could be a goer...

On 17/01/2024 at 21:08, Schooner said:

Well hey there lil fella!

IMG-20240117-WA0004.jpg.51dc78ad3cbea553d59de190a0247c75.jpg

Now, what are we going to do with you?

What other famously little loco positively screams pre-Grouping, LSWR, North Devon, short goods trains, and is distinctive enough that a scratch-bodied 'inspired by' would be instantly recognisable even if not entirely accurate...?

:)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Schooner said:

I don't want to alarm anyone, but I've had a thought.

blackadder_the_third_baldrick.jpg

After seeing Vicky Quay in the flesh, finding all surprises to be good ones, and quickly running a tape over a D.299 (the Reference Wagon. What else?!) and the layout, it could be a goer...

What other famously little loco positively screams pre-Grouping, LSWR, North Devon, short goods trains, and is distinctive enough that a scratch-bodied 'inspired by' would be instantly recognisable even if not entirely accurate...?

:)

A Beattie Well tank!

D

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 26/03/2024 at 06:35, drduncan said:
On 26/03/2024 at 00:05, Schooner said:

A Beattie Well tank

Ooh, nice! But makes me think of suburban London, although I know they moved West as they grew up :)

On 26/03/2024 at 09:27, Northroader said:

An Ifracombe Goods

I reckon! So distinctive in as-built condition. Were they all modernised by the early 1890s? IIRC only 6ish of the 8-or-so built were updated at all, and the first withdrawls took place around 1905 so there where a couple pootling round Devon in that condition at that time.

It also leaves the path free to the LGMiniatures kit for the post-refit version as a future folly :)

All set, and even found time to finish my final modelling project for this stint:

20240327_211342.jpg.ccc2f478ce961fa09040f5aad2ac900b.jpg

Little rake of little dropsides*. The unpainted wagons include my first ever kit builds for Ingleford, which had been consigned to the Bits Box. Now refitted, and fit for service once service resumes :)

*Oh, and a brace of sidedoor opens, apparently

PS. The Deeley tank runs extraordinarily well. Most exciting!

Edited by Schooner
Premature capitulation
  • Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 25/03/2024 at 18:42, Schooner said:

Welcome to Victoria Quay (working title) m'Lords, Ladies etc

20240325_180043.jpg.371bcc8ff2c762de4ce57fff60cdda91.jpg

20240325_181316.jpg.7df96120dc93ad93478c9dc2434553b5.jpg

20240325_181405.jpg.274104103922bb769f00aa8334b139f3.jpg

Sorry fam, no time to move house. Busy. Got trains to play with!

Awesome stuff @Tricky, thank you for all :)

Crane by the most talented also @airnimal. Steam coaster (R/C, woop!) by a nice but unknown gentleman who did a grand job of the build and fit out and then sold her (R/C gear, batteries, controller etc included) for less than the price of the kit. Deeley tank as discussed previously. Inspiration, information and general good juju from you lovely lot.

Otherwise it's all my own work!

Tidy. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Early B4....? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Tidy

All credit to @Tricky of this parish :)

Spot on re B4 - the actual loco for the layout - with mine currently with Kyle of TRS trains having some soul fitted. I hope anyway. He's been rather quiet of late but his Youtube channels busy, so I think he's just chugging through commissions!

Edited by Schooner
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Schooner said:

Ooh, nice! But makes me think of suburban London, although I know they moved West as they grew up :)

I reckon! So distinctive in as-built condition. Were they all modernised by the early 1890s? IIRC only 6ish of the 8-or-so built were updated at all, and the first withdrawls took place around 1905 so there where a couple pootling round Devon in that condition at that time.

It also leaves the path free to the LGMiniatures kit for the post-refit version as a future folly :)

All set, and even found time to finish my final modelling project for this stint:

20240327_211342.jpg.ccc2f478ce961fa09040f5aad2ac900b.jpg

Little rake of little dropsides*. The unpainted wagons include my first ever kit builds for Ingleford, which had been consigned to the Bits Box. Now refitted, and fit for service once service resumes :)

*Oh, and a brace of sidedoor opens, apparently

PS. The Deeley tank runs extraordinarily well. Most exciting!

Lovely rake!

I see that you also attempted a gunpowder van 🙂

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3