Lionheart Lynton & Barnstaple Models

NeilHB

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

I’m waiting on my sound chips from EDM before I fit the pipes 😁

Ahh righty ho, l ll  give it a go tomorrow.  Fitting your own sound chips, are they better than the standard Lionheart sound fitted version?

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Blobrick said:

Ahh righty ho, l ll  give it a go tomorrow.  Fitting your own sound chips, are they better than the standard Lionheart sound fitted version?

Well they’re recorded from Lyd so hopefully! No has been able to say where the factory file was recorded so as I have several of Paul Chetter’s sounds on other locos I went with those as I’d ordered them for my 009 ones. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/10/2023 at 20:40, PaulRhB said:

Well this is how mine arrived, literally slid out of the foam with nothing moved. 
I have sent the details to Richard and if yours get dropped in the post, mine had a huge tear in the box, they will just pop back together. A piece of soft foam to retain the smokebox door from drops might be the only solution. 
The foam packing had held the loco well with no marks or damage to the retaining screws from very rough handling. The card inserts in the foam were damaged but had done their job spreading the load. 

IMG_0461.jpeg.f40be4fd55aa505b0f3e2d4a9e54c2c8.jpeg

it only took around five seconds per loco to clip it back together and slide in. 

IMG_0467.jpeg.3430f592dbcde21b35a6eb9722c3a83b.jpeg

IMG_0471.jpeg.ffd22ceab960a769ad0bc432125da10c.jpeg

IMG_0470.jpeg.f3a7be9153a83db772c41b15dfdd1877.jpeg

Runs beautifully, slightly noisy on the rollers from vibration but silent on the track. 

Stunning model, I can’t wait for the coaches!

IMG_0463.jpeg

Not that we are in competition here Paul, but my latest delivery has arrived with even more parts detached!

My sound fitted "TAW" arrived today. I lifted the box and gently gave it a shake and there was a lot of rattling to be heard.  A quick look in the box revealed that not only had the smokebox door come adrift along with the PCB, but the sound chip and speaker were loose as well, in fact l thought l d been sent a DDC only model until a quick look in the boiler revealed the chip and speaker.  However in a true testament  to Lionheart's quality. all the components fitted back together in a matter of seconds and worked without fault. 

As hard as l try l can not fault these models, the running and finish are the best l ve ever seen. I hope Roger adds some goods rolling stock to his future projects list, and maybe a Lew and Lyn too?

Very happy bunny

Bob C

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Blobrick said:

hope Roger adds some goods rolling stock to his future projects list, and maybe a Lew and Lyn too?

Yes I had to reassemble the speaker and chamber on two of mine. 
It’s Richard Webster by the way, 😉 Yes he has more on the list but the success of this batch will guide what follows. I’m hoping full SR livery for Exe & Yeo come next. You can easily do the other periods by renaming the current models with the Light Railway Store etch plates. 

The plastic cab means Lew is relatively easy to do 😉

Lionheart

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Yes I had to reassemble the speaker and chamber on two of mine. 
It’s Richard Webster by the way, 😉 Yes he has more on the list but the success of this batch will guide what follows. I’m hoping full SR livery for Exe & Yeo come next. You can easily do the other periods by renaming the current models with the Light Railway Store etch plates. 

The plastic cab means Lew is relatively easy to do 😉

Lionheart

Thanks Paul, you are right its Richard, not Roger, senior moment there l think, met him once back in 2012 ish at a show in Aylesbury, nice chap.  I ve been thinking of adding another "TAW" in late L&B livery to my collection and renaming it as "YEO" so your suggestion of suitable name plates is a big help. My one reservation is mounting the plates of the model, as if not square they will spoil the look of the loco. I have offered the existing plates supplied with the models up against the printed ones and the printed ones look a little smaller then the etched plates, which is a good. 

Any advice on a suitable adhesive? Would a small drop of PVA do the trick? it would allow time to position the plate correctly before setting.

Bob C

Its straightforward to mount a plate .I use a  Post It "hinge' to make sure it goes in the right place ..First position the plate on the model then stick a low tack  "hinge " over the model and plate so when the plate is  lifted off and hinged back it will land in  exactly the right place on return.Then apply glue .I use super glue but  clear laquer will also do .I use the method on 1/43 model cars that have lots of tiny PE parts  that have to stick on a perfect finish and possibly be polished as well .only one go or all is lost .hope it helps .

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Blobrick said:

My one reservation is mounting the plates of the model, as if not square they will spoil the look of the loco. I have offered the existing plates supplied with the models up against the printed ones and the printed ones look a little smaller then the etched plates, which is a good. 

Any advice on a suitable adhesive? Would a small drop of PVA do the trick? it would allow time to position the plate correctly before setting.

Like Friscopete I use a post it note as a guide to align plates. As to attaching it I also use superglue but others use, pva or a spot of varnish. Superglue they are ok in seconds the others I’d leave to dry overnight. With all of them lightly sand or scratch the back as a key. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, friscopete said:

Its straightforward to mount a plate .I use a  Post It "hinge' to make sure it goes in the right place ..First position the plate on the model then stick a low tack  "hinge " over the model and plate so when the plate is  lifted off and hinged back it will land in  exactly the right place on return.Then apply glue .I use super glue but  clear laquer will also do .I use the method on 1/43 model cars that have lots of tiny PE parts  that have to stick on a perfect finish and possibly be polished as well .only one go or all is lost .hope it helps .

Many thanks, sounds like a method l could try!

Cheers

Bob C

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Like Friscopete I use a post it note as a guide to align plates. As to attaching it I also use superglue but others use, pva or a spot of varnish. Superglue they are ok in seconds the others I’d leave to dry overnight. With all of them lightly sand or scratch the back as a key. 

Thanks Paul , l appreciated your advice

Mine arrived yesterday and have given it a quick run on Wheal Ponder, it glides gracefully through my dodgily laid Peco track very nicely and is a thing of beauty. 

Whilst it’s a bit big for this layout, have started pondering about layout ideas big enough for it to run on. 

Andrew

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Ryde-on-time said:

Says its smooth runner but a broken whistle and loose smoke box door that seems to be the nrom. I can repair that and fit my own decoder.

Way too tempting to miss on that.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, roundhouse said:

Says its smooth runner but a broken whistle and loose smoke box door that seems to be the nrom. I can repair that and fit my own decoder.

Way too tempting to miss on that.

Blackmoor v2? 😈

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Oh yes.

Well

maybe

Parracombe halt or Snapper Halt. The loco wont look right without a couple of coaches behind it.

And a standard train was 3-4, then they look a bit lonely on their own . . . 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Oh Lordy.

I didn't need one, I don't model in 7mm, let alone narrow gauge and I've no layout to run anything on.

But I've always loved the prototype so bought the SR liveried Taw and the four coaches are arriving today. What have I done?!!

Be interested to see anyone who has experience of doing the 0-14 conversion on the loco. Given I'm usually stretching 4mm up from OO to EM or P4, shrinking down from 16.5 to 14mm will be a new experience!

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, ullypug said:

Be interested to see anyone who has experience of doing the 0-14 conversion on the loco. Given I'm usually stretching 4mm up from OO to EM or P4, shrinking down from 16.5 to 14mm will be a new experience!

You need some serious experience to undertake this task as Paul Martin at EDM Models has found. Everything you need to know about  O14 can be found on his Blog in the link below. Make sure you look at the later updates further down the page as it seems that the wheels need to be reprofiled as well as gauge altered. If you do go ahead, Paul can also supply the track.

https://ngtrains.com/blog/lionheart-lb-models-o14/

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, ullypug said:

Oh Lordy.

I didn't need one, I don't model in 7mm, let alone narrow gauge and I've no layout to run anything on.

But I've always loved the prototype so bought the SR liveried Taw and the four coaches are arriving today. What have I done?!!

I know where you are coming from on this having bought some Bachmann On30 which runs on 16.5 track but I want to model the Maine 2 foot lines.  They are currently in boxes.....  However 7mm GVT runs on 16.5 which is correct for 2'4".......

• RMweb Gold

These are stunning models, nice heft to them and lovely detail. I’d go as far as gorgeous!

IMG_0961.jpeg.b8dbb9374d7243d778dcf2b9278191ba.jpeg

IMG_0964.jpeg.61d672027e31dadec38af1c27006f3b5.jpeg

These won’t get the votes to be model of the year I suspect but they certainly deserve it. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1