RMweb

Lionheart Lynton & Barnstaple Models

NeilHB

• Moderators
6 hours ago, ullypug said:

Be interested to see anyone who has experience of doing the 0-14 conversion on the loco. Given I'm usually stretching 4mm up from OO to EM or P4, shrinking down from 16.5 to 14mm will be a new experience!

I don't know anyone that's done it but the chassis has been designed to accommodate it easily enough. Well thought through.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

I don't know anyone that's done it but the chassis has been designed to accommodate it easily enough. Well thought through.

I’m afraid that’s not true Andy.

Despite still claiming it in the propaganda, (mainly because they haven’t updated the original release) Lionheart have stepped away from the 014 provision.

014 on the locos was to be by replacement wheelsets to the narrower gauge. They first started backing away from the provision when they realised the risk of damage in disconnecting the rods and valve gear. Next was an exhorbitant quote from the factory for the alternative wheels with a large minimum order against an unknown demand. The final straw was realisation that the wheel profile used on the die cast wheels being a 00 one won’t work for 014. The profile of the flange & root radius is such that you can’t satisfy both the gauge and back to back measurements.

I have 30+ to convert. Wheel reprofiling starts next week

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

last night the loco was out by the front door when we got home, rather than in our parcel shelter. luckily it hadn't rained whilst we were out. After a few beers I only took the loco out of the box but nothing further till early this morning.

The missing part was as per expected so after a test run a brass tube was cut and filed to shape to replace the missing part of he safety valve. The whistle  / pipework was then re attached and all looks as it should do. I guess that as the roof is removable and can easily be knocked off, his can cause damage to the safety valve and whistle. I have now fixed the roof on with canopy glue which can easily be be removed if need be. I have yet to source a decoder for it so it remains DC control at present. However I have fixed the factory fitted speaker in to he baffle box with a bead of canopy glue then the baffle box glued into the removable pc board to reduce any vibration once a sound decoder is fitted.

The brass nameplates have been stuck on over the printed ones and the rear builders plate come finished in black but should be red so this has been repainted and is currently drying.

20231110_101445.jpg.064a8a420ef1c0b3295862f1396402a2.jpg

I have since painted the pony wheels black as they are unpainted from the factory.

The loco will be weathered but not before this weekends show at Tolworth where I hope to have it on display on the fiddleyard top on Blackmoor.

Is a beautiful model and runs very smoothly.

20231110_084017.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I ordered two early livery coaches from Liverpool, and they are fully up to expectations. Detailing is spot on and livery is beautify applied. I only wish there were more available to make up a rake. Very happy with my purchase

Bob C 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

IMG_1005.jpeg.c68ee5c348401f01eb47cbe364198f36.jpeg

This may be of use for easy storage. I’ve taken off the top clear plastic packing shell and put the box in the lid and three are a snug fit in a 7 litre really useful box. The coaches are then easy to get out and a soft cloth or acid free tissue will stop them scraping on the lid if tipped. 

IMG_1006.jpeg.e37d6118ce65b13f31837e32b3727276.jpeg

IMG_1008.jpeg.d9397a1b425345090ed103d0e51875dc.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 6

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

And surprised 😶‍🌫️ the grey cells trying out various combinations in your head on the internal RuB size chart 😆

I'll put round a vicious rumour that you're doing it to protect the boxes.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

you're doing it to protect the boxes.

my precious . . . 😆

It’s a shame the loco boxes aren’t so easy to continue to use as I really can’t be arsed with screwing them back to that Perspex plate each time. I suspect some sort of cradle / cassette will be the answer in a tray. More fun. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 09/11/2023 at 15:49, PaulRhB said:

These are stunning models, nice heft to them and lovely detail. I’d go as far as gorgeous!

IMG_0961.jpeg.b8dbb9374d7243d778dcf2b9278191ba.jpeg

IMG_0964.jpeg.61d672027e31dadec38af1c27006f3b5.jpeg

These won’t get the votes to be model of the year I suspect but they certainly deserve it. 

really stunning, thanks for the pics, what a superb thing of beauty, love it :-)

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

Looks good. Do these run on standard code 100 track?

Yes

7 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

Wonder what they would be like on 2nd radius as thats the max i can fit on my board.

Designed for 24 inch / 610mm minimum radius so unlikely although one review got them to go round 22 inch / 560mm radius. 
R2 438mm is so much tighter it’s highly unlikely to work. 

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium
On 28/10/2023 at 12:16, steam-driven boy said:

Hi,

My sound dcc Yeo arrived from RoS yesterday, as with PaulRhB I had to reassemble the same parts, fortunately without any difficulty. The box had a very slight crimp on one corner.

The email from RoS notified me that Exe would follow "later".

Regards, Gerry.

Hi,

I now have an email from PayPal that RoS have taken an amount which equates to said Exe DCC Sound order, usally RoS notification follows within a couple of days and the parcel arrives within a couple more..

Regards, Gerry.

RoS email received 

Exe arrived safely Saturday, missing the bag of 'essentials' - a message to RoS resulted in a very rapid positive response and expect postie to deliver replacement in the next couple of days - my thanks to John G there for the help 😎

Edited by steam-driven boy
update

• RMweb Gold
On 10/11/2023 at 20:14, PaulRhB said:

It’s a shame the loco boxes aren’t so easy to continue to use as I really can’t be arsed with screwing them back to that Perspex plate each time. I suspect some sort of cradle / cassette will be the answer in a tray. More fun. 

I have put the perspex plate back into the foam then cut a bit of foam out to make he loco and easier fit but put the loco in a piece of bubblewarp to help lower / lift out the loco.

20231123_135439.jpg.b0553ee9594c9f5edf7308674a203112.jpg

However it wont be in its box his weekend as it will be in my loco box to bring to Warley on the demo sand. Is had a slight weathering, rear number plate painted red and fitted to he back of the cab plus coal added to the side bunkers.

Yet to decide on a sound decoder for it.

20231123_100359.jpg.7a5d94767826b1e920b63e7b6c807599.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

bubble wrap is notorious for reacting with paint so don't store it like that permanently.

I have heard that it can react with varnish on paintings. I dont store much stock in bubblewrap but what has been is fine after 6 months. This loco is likley to go in a storage box with trays made of card when I know how much stock that I will end up with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I was with a group of fellow modellers yesterday and they have read in one of the NG mags that the roof moving does tend to break the outer safety valve off and quite often its loose in the box when opening. Mine was missing hence why I got a good deal on this model.

I had to remove the roof yesterday to fit the now painted Modelu crew and weather the interior. Whilst the roof was off I decided to cut out one of the closed roof hatches then using a thin piece of styrene form a new hatch glued in the open position.

This morning I then refixed the roof with canopy glue as I had done after repairing the safety valve.

The photo was taken before I painted the new roof hatch.

I have also fitted a Youchoose Zimo decoder with their NG sound file which I gather is actually a recording of Lyd. Really pleased with the sounds and I may use this to fit to the remaining 009 Heljan Manning & Wardles that still require sound.

20231201_111115.jpg

20231201_111110.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Whilst the roof was off I decided to cut out one of the closed roof hatches then using a thin piece of styrene form a new hatch glued in the open position.

20231201_111115.jpg

I did the same with my 45xx (4552 had a strange sideways opening one) - it's a nice little mod to ring the changes. I spent quite a lot of time chamfering the edges to help make the roof look like thin sheet as well.

20221220_204430841.jpg.9c2944280b9d85d5e7fc02a9f3ad3bea.jpg.83b0b3205011d6a6ec7fa210a28da41f.jpg

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1

Has anyone had issues with the headlamps not working on their model?

My DCC Sound fitted Taw looks and runs beautifully, with all functions operating as expected, apart from the lights not working. There is no mention in the Owner's Manual of a function on/off setting for the lamps......am I missing something?

Any pointers gratefully received.

Regards,

Andy.

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Andy M said:

Has anyone had issues with the headlamps not working on their model?

My DCC Sound fitted Taw looks and runs beautifully, with all functions operating as expected, apart from the lights not working. There is no mention in the Owner's Manual of a function on/off setting for the lamps......am I missing something?

Any pointers gratefully received.

Regards,

Andy.

Usually F0 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, locoholic said:

Is there any sign of Dapol/Lionheart making any Lynton & Barnstaple wagons, to go with the locos and carriages?

When I talked to Richard at shows it’s all dependent on how this first release goes but he has plans for more stock. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1