Rail Road class 40

Davidjsmith

• RMweb Gold

Hard to know, some of the railroad range has appeared in more than 1 livery, the 9f, A4 and the 0-4-0s have but others like the black 5, A3 and 47 haven't. I would have thought that a class 47/37 in BR blue or green for <£40 would sell like hot cakes regardless of fine detail.

I would have thought that a class 47/37 in BR blue or green for <£40 would sell like hot cakes regardless of fine detail.

Also would it now not be better for Hornby to use the ex LIma Class 47 tooling for their 'Railroad' Model and consign their historic one (circa 1975) to history?

This has been done with the Class 37 so why not the Class 47?

This has been done with the Class 37 so why not the Class 47?

I think that's a good idea - maybe if other ex-Lima locos, like the class 40, are a success it could happen? Anyone suggested it directly to Hornby?

I'd like to see an undecorated Class 40, especially given all the parts coming from Shawplan. Don't know if many others would go for it though.

I think that's a good idea - maybe if other ex-Lima locos, like the class 40, are a success it could happen? Anyone suggested it directly to Hornby?

Given they have rereleased the Lima 47 already, this may already be happening (can anyone confirm that that current Railroad 47 is the Hornby or Lima one? The initial release was the Hornby one but that was before the Lima one popped up in the Blue Pullman set and we're a couple of years on from this).

Which Lima locos haven't we seen resurface yet? To my mind, we're now probably down to the 26, 27 Warship and Western as likely reappearances on the DE front (I'm bound to have missed one), and so far a reluctance to do anything with the steamers.

Given they have rereleased the Lima 47 already, this may already be happening (can anyone confirm that that current Railroad 47 is the Hornby or Lima one? The initial release was the Hornby one but that was before the Lima one popped up in the Blue Pullman set and we're a couple of years on from this).

I think the current Railroad 47 is still the Hornby one. They have only offered it in Red/Grey Virgin livery to date. (Perhapes they are still using up a previously produced large batch of the original Hornby model????)

The 40 looks like a good model - saw one in Modelzone yesterday. When I have some spare cash, I'll get one for repainting into green.

Of all the Lima models I'd like them to re-release, albeit with a new chassis, it would be the J50 - or an all new one would be even better. Hint hint...

*gets shot for wishlisting :lol:

Of all the Lima models I'd like them to re-release, albeit with a new chassis, it would be the J50 - or an all new one would be even better. Hint hint...

There's always the DJH kit which looks pretty good, or even the Pocket Money Kits one if you can get hold of one second hand - that was a joy to build too.

• 1 month later...
Guest no1stpaddy

Just bought 2 railroad Class 40s. Simple view for me is I get 2 for the price of 1 Bachmann class 40. As has been said before they both have faults but I look forward to the shawplan detailing parts coming out to update it a bit.

Guest no1stpaddy

So would now be the wrong time to tell you that Bachmann are apparently re-doing their class 40?

Not at all. If they do go down the road of producing a new loco, it would be more expensive, so may be Id get 3 Hornby for the price of 1.:D :D :D

So would now be the wrong time to tell you that Bachmann are apparently re-doing their class 40?

Nope.

At £36 on Hattons, when I get the money I can have two half decent class 40s for the price of one 3/4 decent Class 40.

As a penniless graduate, the cheapo range appeals greatly! :lol:

I picked up the railroad 40 and the new motor makes it a decent runner. Unfortunately the pony wheels continually derail on my peco track. Anybody else had this problem and, if so,has anyone found a remedy. All the wheels are a bit course in my view - does anyone do replacement wheelsets?

Tim

I picked up the railroad 40 and the new motor makes it a decent runner. Unfortunately the pony wheels continually derail on my peco track. Anybody else had this problem and, if so,has anyone found a remedy. All the wheels are a bit course in my view - does anyone do replacement wheelsets?

Tim

Tim,

Check the back to back measurement of the wheels or another option is to add a bit of weight to the pony

regards

I don't know about the Class 40 but I suspect Hornby are now using finer scale wheels than the original cheesecutters, as they have done so far in their other ex. Lima releases, namely Cl.73, 101 and 121. With the reduced flange depth this may be why the pony wheels are leaving the track.

• 1 month later...

Received RR40 for planned body swap with Lima GSYP. Unfortunately, same problem with pony wheels derailing on some Peco points where never before. Back to backs proved to be the culprit , wider on my RR.

For anyone contemplating a similar body swap, just be aware it's not as simple as I first thought as although the retaining clips on the body are identical, the window insert on the Lima needs some surgery to accommodate the new wider motor.

I have to say that first impressions of slow speed running are disappointing that I suspect no amount of 'running in' will fix. So poor in fact that I'm now reluctant to let my old Lima chassis go as remarkably that is currently the better performer.

You pays your money and makes your choice. After waiting a long time for UK RTR to finally gain the better mechanisms that were long common in HO, the performance is now available, and it really isn't drastically more expensive. I would hate to see UK RTR fall back into the death spiral competition of who can make the cheapest mechanisms that sort of work...

• 3 weeks later...

Does the Hornby RailRoad Class 40 have traction tyres? I fancy fitting my Lima disc headcode body to one but I have banned traction tyres and plastic wheels on my railway, harsh I know but fair! I did look through this thread but nobody has mentioned it.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, it does have traction tyres, much to my annoyance. Fine for my purposes on a depot diorama, suitably renumbered and weathered, but for a serious layout some rewheeling required. Each to their own, of course.

Archived