Rail Road class 40

Davidjsmith

I have some :D

When is any of this stuff going to be commonly available? Seems like there's lots of "test etches" out there - though I've yet to actually see a class 40 with them anything fitted (though that doesn't mean an awful lot). Lots of talk of a much improved breed but no photies? Anyone?

When is any of this stuff going to be commonly available? ....

Not for quite some time is my guess. Brian struck me as a very careful designer (to the point of obsession) and will not release things generally unless he's absolutely convinced that his methods work. That's why there are loads of test etches.

The new-generation windscreen etches, plus grilles, plus boiler port details. Cantrail grilles not available yet sad.gif .

New resin cabs sound like a great idea, but would need a LOT of prep work to get all those curves right.

I would want to have the tiny holes that Bachmann has in its noses, as this allows me to swap the headcode discs between "folded" and "unfolded" depending on class of train hauled.

Last I knew Brian wanted to make a form tool /press 'jobbie' (to use technical english) to make them nice and even, and was trying to improve the little panels between each grill. It'll save having to buy an extra lima 40 body to model Clayton boilered 40's, and has the benefit of being able to reposition the grills to the correct place (the boiler grills are positioned too far towards the adjacent cab. Due to the Boiler roof panel being too big). Another point of error on the lima body, is the window just below those boiler grills, again positioned to close to the cab.

My idea for the Discs was to mount some of those little iridium magnets drilled and mounted behind the cab nose (originally I intended to use the Bachmann noses, so would have mounted them in the holes. But i've now switched to the lima ones). With a little slither of steel mounted on Brains headcode disc's, i should be able to swap them with some tweezers.

Next step: headcode character sets that can be rolled....tongue.gif

One of the things that makes me consider going Scale7 is trying to make working headcode blinds.

I long ago came to the realization that if I modeled steam, I'd be the kind of person to model inside valve gear.

It's also why I insist on using the Exactoscale working screw link couplings, and am currently trying to fit out some Mk1's and Mk2's with Sergent Engineering buckeye couplings (which of course I'd like to make with the proper drop head, but I don't think it can be done with how they are made unfortunately).

If they ever invent a shrinking ray, and 40 135 suddenly vanishes from the East lancs, i'll be found installing an oven hood/ extractor fan above the layout ;)

Regards

Matt

......I long ago came to the realization that if I modeled steam, I'd be the kind of person to model inside valve gear....

Et tu, Brutus? biggrin.gif

It's also why I insist on using the Exactoscale working screw link couplings,

Same here. Expensive little things, though, and that M0.5 screw is easily snapped angry.gif

and am currently trying to fit out some Mk1's and Mk2's with Sergent Engineering buckeye couplings (which of course I'd like to make with the proper drop head, but I don't think it can be done with how they are made unfortunately)....

What's stopping you? wink.gif

Bachmann cab and Lima middles isn't that difficult, I did a thread on it on the last version of the forum, my shell is made up of 5 different sections. When I was chatting to Brian (who sent me some test etches when I did mine) he intimated consideration was being given to a replacement resin shell, but that was a couple of years ago and has yet to emerge so I guess it isn't going to happen.

• 4 weeks later...
he intimated consideration was being given to a replacement resin shell, but that was a couple of years ago and has yet to emerge so I guess it isn't going to happen.

And that was before he toom over Shawplan too!

If you want it, just keep reminding him - if enough people want it (and will actually buy it) then I'm sure it's a possibility. Then we'd be very nearly at the stage of having a JLTRT range in four mil' :D

• 1 month later...

Eh? Just wait for the Bachmann retool.........

Two points other than the obvious price difference. The first, is it is not confirmed or written in stone that Bachmann are making a new tool for a class 40. In-fact I was told in no uncertain terms, they are just altering the existing tooling. The second point being, having now 'sussed' out the problems behind the existing bachy 40 (all related or caused by the glazing method). I believe it's totally impossible to produce a scale model from one.

And, with a few simple, but admittedly 'hardcore' mods to the Lima and now Hornby Shell, you could end up with this;

post-6926-084282700 1285838182_thumb.jpg

Still a fair amount to do to this one, but aside the Bachmann / Hornby mech's and under-frame, both of which are frankly pretty poor. I've no love of a can motor, and the 1Bo1 pivoting in the wrong place. So I really see no argument for waiting for the Bachmann 're-release'.

Regards

Matt

Picked up a Railroad 40 today. Actually it's going to get the chop to power a model of 10203 but a few notes anyway -

1) Bodyshell and glazing unchanged from Lima days.

2) NEM pockets and slimline couplings are a vast improvement over the hideous Lima tension locks.

3) Mechanism is totally retooled - bogies now clip into bridging pieces over the top of the chassis. DCC socket present and correct.

Overall it's not at all bad..finish is a quantum leap better than that which Lima trawled out (good printing on the numbers and BR logo, Yellow ends painted rather than bare plastic. Not sure of haulage power as yet but it has the same ballast as it's Lima parent so it should be OK. Kind of wish I'd kept my detailed / painted Lima ones and used this updated chassis TBH.

Two points other than the obvious price difference. The first, is it is not confirmed or written in stone that Bachmann are making a new tool for a class 40. In-fact I was told in no uncertain terms, they are just altering the existing tooling. The second point being, having now 'sussed' out the problems behind the existing bachy 40 (all related or caused by the glazing method). I believe it's totally impossible to produce a scale model from one.

And, with a few simple, but admittedly 'hardcore' mods to the Lima and now Hornby Shell, you could end up with this;

post-6926-084282700 1285838182_thumb.jpg

Still a fair amount to do to this one, but aside the Bachmann / Hornby mech's and under-frame, both of which are frankly pretty poor. I've no love of a can motor, and the 1Bo1 pivoting in the wrong place. So I really see no argument for waiting for the Bachmann 're-release'.

Regards

Matt

Tasty looking 64B Type 4 brewing there, like it. I'm keeping all my similarly modded old-school Lima locos now, and once the next/ first paycheque comes through a RR40 is on the shopping list for sure to see what it's like in the guts department.

Lets throw a spanner in the thread.

there is another option

Get yourself a Joueff model and have done with it.

OK,I',ll bite. How does the Joueff model compare with either Lima or Bachmann versions

considering that it was first on the scene (over) 30 years ago?

Jim (only asking cos I've got one tucked away in the loft)

A truly horrible mechanism, and an overwidth body with deeply recessed glazing and a dire paint job. The 40 seems to be the class with mysterious distorting powers that defies RTR tooling.

I stuck the Joueff body on an old type Bach 45 chassis with Lima bogie frames araldited to the Bach bogie core, and got something that looked vaguely like a 40, capable of a scale 400mph and able to pull anything hung on the back. Authentic Frankenloco...

Back to basics :)

Has anyone reading this actually bought a HRR class 40? Does it run okay? (ie.will it crawl nicely?) Are the couplers in NEM sockets? - to enable easy fitting of Kadees.

Thanks-

Dudley

See my potted review above ^^^^^^^

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thats a particularly good link to quote (was just looking at it on Hattons website) as you can easily get to the bacchy split box version for comparison purposes, I cant help thinking if it runs in a decent way they are onto a good thing here, there was some good stuff in the lima range, its a shame that (cab) windows couldnt be addressed but so many aftermarket versions have been done its not exactly major surgery is it?

they are obviously pushing this 'type of to the 'not bovvered' end of the market as I see one of lima's first UK models the 33 is also to be released in railroad, the price would have to be pretty good not to buy a discounted Heljan some of those are very cheap now?

lets here from someone running one though? - does the 'new & improved' formula work with this odd wheel arrangement?- lets hope no errant all wheel drive, like the 31! :lol: :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived