Bachmann 009 Double Fairlie

AY Mod

On 09/01/2022 at 11:44, CotBob said:

The supports come off very easily, I have a pair too. Not even thought about paint yet. Notice how they both lean to the left, makes fitting the fireman in place harder than you expect.

I think that ModelU said somewhere that mirror images can be produced relatively easily.

Re what to run behind Earl of Merioneth I came across what seems to be an interesting 4 wheel coach livery in a 1971 video on Youtube; EoM features in the video, not long before being withdrawn, but at 6:41-6:45 Linda  is shunting three 4 wheelers with two appearing to still have white windows despite otherwise being "cherry"

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No, they're red, and the sun's reflecting off the ventilators. They're the same three vehicles we see at 5:40. The leading one is the "new" number 1 van (now 51), and the other two are probably 3 and 4, since I think 5 had by then been withdrawn, and 6 (now 2) was a semi-open.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 27/11/2021 at 20:47, PaulRhB said:

Paul at EDM NGtrains said he will hopefully be doing a slightly different sound file soon from the same stable so upgrading the none sound ones will soon be possible with authentic files. 

Has anybody heard if there is any progress on this please? I had a hunt on the EDM website but no joy.

Thank in advance,

Roy

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Has anybody heard if there is any progress on this please? I had a hunt on the EDM website but no joy.

Thank in advance,

Roy

No Paul’s been busy changing to a new website and had problems with his leg too. It’s on the way but as he’s a one man operation it’s in a queue. 

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I saw on the Bachmann availability thread that the lined maroon ‘Merddin Emrys’ model is due into shops Feb/Mar. Does anyone know if it’s likely to arrive before the Peco/Kato England 0-4-0TT?

I have a feeling I might have another ‘my finger slipped’ moment if I’m not careful!

On 15/02/2022 at 22:23, MrTea said:

I saw on the Bachmann availability thread that the lined maroon ‘Merddin Emrys’ model is due into shops Feb/Mar. Does anyone know if it’s likely to arrive before the Peco/Kato England 0-4-0TT?

I have a feeling I might have another ‘my finger slipped’ moment if I’m not careful!

I was advised that new Fairlie on its way to my local shop should be in stock Monday or Tuesday this week

On 05/12/2021 at 10:42, PaulRhB said:

We found that with Gaugemaster controllers too on a friends layout. The chip uses the first 4-5v to power up the sound and then that means the full range of speed control is now in half the turn of the dial. 
The simple solution we found was to put a long handle on the knob, (with tape in our case as it was temporary), to give more finesse to the control and then we got reasonable control. So try a temporary long handle?

This was the result on dc on Tim’s layout with Baldwins fitted with the same Zimo chip. 

Watching that vid carefully as the train ran into the station the push on the rear as defined by coupling closeness was roughly 2/3 of the way through the train. Exactly the formula (1/3 rd extra load) used in the 70’s for using a banker with 33’s on the Southern. 

• Like 1

On 20/11/2021 at 12:14, Stevelewis said:

My 2   Fairlies  arrived  from  Arcadia Models  this  morning  they  are  superb  a  real credit  to  Bachmann Europe    Brilliant  sound!  and  running  quality.

A couple of  bits of info   as  delivered  the  decoders are  set  to 128 speed  steps

I also tested on a small Kato Unitrack test track I have  here currently  and  they will traverse less than 9" radius curves   183mm (7.1/4" approx) was no problem

Glad your reply was only 4 pages in, my order will be in today!

• RMweb Gold
On 03/02/2022 at 13:45, Roy Langridge said:

Thank in advance,

Roy

Paul dropped me a message earlier to say the Fairlie decoders are ready :)

https://ngtrains.com/shop/product/double-fairlie-sound-decoder-zimo-mx659n18-decoder/

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 05/04/2022 at 17:09, didcot said:

How did it stack up against the factory version?

Sorry, not had much time to play but did have the Paul’s version out for a while last night as it happens. 

I don’t think there is a huge difference, but I need to get them both running togther to check how they double head. Will try to do that in the next couple of days. 

Given I was impressed with the Bachmann sound, safe to say I like Paul’s version equally. 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Typo
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have copied this from one of my other topics simply because it didn't get any replies 🙃

Simple intro - I bought a DF and it literally didn't run so I sent it back..................but due to run of failures with miscellaneous new RTR locos so decided to "stop" for a while.............

However I did/do really want an 009 Double Fairlie so I am tempted to enter the lottery once more...............

QUESTION

From actual experience please which retailers genuinely test prior to sending out?

The Double Fairlie looks like an easy DIY DCC fit (there is a trap-door?) so I am going to do it myself - I will forego buying a weathered version so again it won't have been "played with" post factory.

Comments?

Also if you own one does the Double Fairlie truly ease 009 (turnout) pickup issues with its double bogie pickups 

Thanks guys............

36 minutes ago, halsey said:

I have copied this from one of my other topics simply because it didn't get any replies 🙃

Simple intro - I bought a DF and it literally didn't run so I sent it back..................but due to run of failures with miscellaneous new RTR locos so decided to "stop" for a while.............

However I did/do really want an 009 Double Fairlie so I am tempted to enter the lottery once more...............

QUESTION

From actual experience please which retailers genuinely test prior to sending out?

The Double Fairlie looks like an easy DIY DCC fit (there is a trap-door?) so I am going to do it myself - I will forego buying a weathered version so again it won't have been "played with" post factory.

Comments?

Also if you own one does the Double Fairlie truly ease 009 (turnout) pickup issues with its double bogie pickups 

Thanks guys............

Mine ran perfectly out of the box and I bought it factory sound fitted. No pick-up issues at all on Peco Y turnouts but they are live frog and polarity switched.

To be honest I've not heard any problems with these locos at allo.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, rynd2it said:

Mine ran perfectly out of the box and I bought it factory sound fitted. No pick-up issues at all on Peco Y turnouts but they are live frog and polarity switched.

To be honest I've not heard any problems with these locos at allo.

Hi

My issue is that I do find some issues with a (good runner) Bachmann Baldwin over live frog turnouts which I have always assumed was in part due to its pickup wheelbase.

I am wavering on a rebuild to a 009 layout which at the moment is being affected by my attitude to running and I was hoping the double fairlie would solve this issue but due to mine being a non runner on arrival it didn't give me the chance to test my theory.

J

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, halsey said:

QUESTION

Sorry bought both mine at local shops so can’t help on that. They both run superbly at slow speed over points. 

48 minutes ago, halsey said:

The Double Fairlie looks like an easy DIY DCC fit (there is a trap-door?) so I am going to do it myself -

yes, see page 2 here

https://Bachmann-spares.co.uk/file/E9110-Double-Fairlie-2021.pdf

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, halsey said:

My issue is that I do find some issues with a (good runner) Bachmann Baldwin over live frog turnouts which I have always assumed was in part due to its pickup wheelbase.

What’s the issue? If the point has a bump in it the fixed pony truck wheel can lift the drivers off. Both my Baldwins are fine over points and the only issue was the fixed pony axle lifting the front two drivers on a bump making it spin. 

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, PaulRhB said:

Sorry bought both mine at local shops so can’t help on that. They both run superbly at slow speed over points. 

Is that as compared with others (Baldwin?) or are these your only locos 

Which local shops - DCC ?

Could you PM me if you don't want to get in to retailer promotion on here 

Thanks