Hornby Thompson L1

Andy Y

Has anyone tried to renumber 67717?

To turn the Hornby model into a GE loco, I need to renumber the loco as 67710, which was for a time allocated to Ipswich and changing the 7 to a 0 appeared a simple task.

However, the HMRS transfers do not match the cab-side number by Hornby, either in height or width of the number and nor does the sheet include the buffer beam style of number.

Paul

Srange that you find HMRS do not match. I have done a Brit and a Clan by altering one digit and although there is a slight colour variation the size is a perfect match. I am sure I read in one of the mags. that they came across the same situation. i can't rember which loco they were doing. It looks as though you will have to remove all the numbers.

Bernard

Thank you for your comments:

Bernard Lamb "Srange that you find HMRS do not match. I have done a Brit and a Clan by........."

The lettering on the Hornby L1 model is LNER yellow unshaded Gil Sans, not the cream British Railways font. Like you, I have renumbered without a problem a Hornby Clan to 72009 Clan Stewart, which ran for a month on the GE.

Coachmann - the problem with the Gil Sans on the HMRS LNER sheet is the unshaded yellow Gil Sans is of a different size to that used by Hornby, only slightly but ........

A solution is to remove all the Hornby cabside numbers and replace with HMRS numbers, but the Hornby lettering doesn't come off as easy or as well as the Bachmann lettering using Meths - and I only want to change one digit! I have considered overlaying the Hornby numbers "6771" with the HMRS numbers and then adding the 0!

But it still doesn't resolve the LNER unshaded yellow Gil Sans lettering on the front & back buffer, which are not on any of the HMRS sheets I have.

As you say, nothing is easy!

Regards

Paul

If its Green the LNER Yellow sheet has the bufferbeam nos .

I'm using the LNER yellow loco/Gill Sans Sheet 4a (it's a PC Models sheet prior to HMRS taking over, but from other sheets I have the lettering has not been changed)

This morning I quickly added the "0" to illustrate the problem! The bunkerside number is a better match than the front bufferbeam number.

Regards

Paul

post-665-080309100 1288439143_thumb.jpgpost-665-004942100 1288439237_thumb.jpg

The problem is that BR Gill Sans is not, and never was, the same thing at LNER Gill Sans - the latter was 'thinner'. It was the LNER version that was used by BR in this case.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

John

Thank you for the comment - does anyone produce such lettering?

Paul

Guest Max Stafford

Since they've got it right twice already with this one, I doubt that they'll b*gger it up with this next one Rob. :)

Dave.

Since they've got it right twice already with this one, I doubt that they'll b*gger it up with this next one Rob. :)

Dave.

Indeed... here is my BR olive green.. which has correct offset for return crank on both sides.

Pictured in, um, same old north London area? Brisk acceleration of washing machine..!

L1_Brisk_Start_LNER_1949_3.jpg

Cheers, Rob

• Like 2

It's arrived...just unpacking it now, will edit my post with photographs :D

I can see a problem straight away, however :angry:

...I'm going to have to get another one. :lol:

EDIT:

The model is just exquisite. The detail on this model is breathtaking, and regardless of the front frames/front pony truck issue highlighted in Model Rail, I will say that it's the best Hornby Steam Locomotive ever produced.

post-1656-025385900 1289300761_thumb.jpg

post-1656-037101700 1289300784_thumb.jpg

post-1656-011496500 1289300803_thumb.jpg

Mine's the split-footplate version, and judging by the pics of the green ones, it captures its prototype every bit as accurately as they do. The difference in front steps, and overall "look" - all spot on. The model is literally romping away with five Bachmann Mk1s as I type, and I have no doubt it could take at least six or seven more. This model oozes power, and really looks like an L1.

With apologies to Model Rail - it really IS one "L of a model"!!! :D

Hornby, if the new B17s are half as good, I'll be a happy man indeed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh now I have to choose between a lined black or BR apple green one, why can't I afford both! :( Now which were the locos allocated to the Whitby and York areas, that could be the decider.

Ooh yes, very nice that. Perusing Colin Walker's 'Main Line Lament' I've found a likely suspect for one, namely 67756 on a Nottingham - Rugby Central local, nicely grimed up to boot B)

Nidge

67781 & 67782 were both allocated to Leicester Central in 1960 so would have been employed on Leicester-Rugby locals.

67781 & 67782 were both allocated to Leicester Central in 1960 so would have been employed on Leicester-Rugby locals.

Any of the Colwick ones could turn up on the GC as Colwick was still responsible for many of the passenger locos.

A quick scan of Yeadon comes up with no less than 40 of them allocated to Colwick at some time in BR days, I may have missed one ot two though.

Any of the Colwick ones could turn up on the GC as Colwick was still responsible for many of the passenger locos.

A quick scan of Yeadon comes up with no less than 40 of them allocated to Colwick at some time in BR days, I may have missed one ot two though.

Thanks for the tip chaps ;) . Currently without a layout at the moment so I don't 'need' an L1 but there's a long term plan brewing which takes in workings at Rugby Central and Midland stations.... modellers license is a wonderful thing. Anyway, it's such a beautiful model... how could I resist?

Nidge

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if those who have purchased L1's could comment on the Model Rail finding that the loco derailed on certain points, It would be useful if those who have run them on their layouts could let us know if they have noticed any problems.

I own one of each of the green L1s so far released.

They have been run on my home layout, on a large club layout with some very complicated pointwork and even on some track (with points) just laid on floor tiles which was not pinned down an neither have de-railed at any time.

All the above have some tight reverse curves (around 2nd. radius settrack)

The locos are superb runners, powerful and can cope with 6 Mk. 1 coaches (Mixed Hornby and Bachmann) on a substantial gradient.

I can only speak as I find, and currently that is as a VERY satisfied customer.