Rapido Trains UK - Facebook Live - November 16th

mdvle

For anyone who didn't read the newsletter they sent out last month, from that newsletter:

Our Facebook Live event is to take place on November 16th at 7pm. All you need to do is to log in to Facebook and go to our page where you'll be able to speak to Jason, Bill, Andy and me. We'll try and share with you product progress, answer your questions about Rapido or simply chew the fat about the model market or sci-fi TV shows.

• Like 1

Rapido UK Live - November 16 2021

Recollections of things of interest - worth watching, best to confirm any of my recollections before taking them as correct.

Can be viewed on Facebook, I am guessing will appear on YouTube in a couple of days for those who want to avoid Facebook.

• Andy and Richard from Rapido UK, Jason from Canada and Bill from the US.
  • discussing why no factory samples, each tampo print hit takes 1 hour to set up, for example the Stirling Single had 70 tampo hits - so that would be 70 hours in setup alone.
  • another updated sample of the Hunslet expected before the December order deadline
  • 15xx tooling started
  • showed sample from the latest APT-E run operating on their short oval of track
  • Conflat-P in 4mm? well, it needs a Class 28...
  • timber(?) wagon - despite apparent similiarities to Conflat-P, would require entirely new tooling to make in model form, nothing could be shared (limitations of how models are made vs how the real things are often made)
  • would depend on the sales of the Conflat-P
  • example of tooling costs - entire APT-E cost less to tool than 15xx
  • 5 to 6 items in tooling but not yet announced
  • many more products in development
  • S160? interested, think about it
  • Titfield Thunderbolt - won't be announced until final pricing from the factory, but things are still progressing well
  • post-2010 models?  rise of multiple units leads to cost issues - worth watching the discussion on the issue
  • suggestion form has 2 purposes - obvious is the model requested, but it also provides info on regions/era's of interest, so keep suggestions coming - you may not get some obscure item you want but your request made lead to other items of interest to you going ahead.
  • E1 update? waiting for the survey to end on December 6th, but a "problem" so far that all versions seem to be polling equally
  • do other non-train items?  2 more buses close to tooling, as for other vehicles maybe? - Jason likes Concorde
  • watch for future newsletters! - Rapido UK is about to hire a warranty technician, more hires coming in future
  • more N scale diesels? - Class 28 selling well so more are likely
  • railcrew switch machines - in stock in Canada, will try to ship some to UK warehouse for anyone interested in buying them.
  • Rapido founded by Jason in 2004, didn't make a profit until 2013 - cash flow really matters, see previous newsletter with essay by Jason on the issue
  • lots more discussed (Jason goes off topic several times) - things like Scotch, clothing, Dr. Who, ...
Edited by mdvle
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Informative/Useful 4

15 hours ago, mdvle said:

Recollections of things of interest - worth watching, best to confirm any of my recollections before taking them as correct.

Can be viewed on Facebook, I am guessing will appear on YouTube in a couple of days for those who want to avoid Facebook.

• discussing why no factory samples, each tampo print hit takes 1 hour to set up, for example the Stirling Single had 70 tampo hits - so that would be 70 hours in setup alone.
  • another updated sample of the Hunslet expected before the December order deadline
  • 15xx tooling started
  • showed sample from the latest APT-E run operating on their short oval of track
  • timber(?) wagon - despite apparent similiarities to Conflat-P, would require entirely new tooling to make in model form, nothing could be shared (limitations of how models are made vs how the real things are often made)
  • Titfield Thunderbolt - won't be announced until final pricing from the factory, but things are still progressing well
  • post-2010 models?  rise of multiple units leads to cost issues - worth watching the discussion on the issue
  • suggestion form has 2 purposes - obvious is the model requested, but it also provides info on regions/era's of interest, so keep suggestions coming - you may not get some obscure item you want but your request made lead to other items of interest to you going ahead.
  • E1 update? waiting for the survey to end on December 6th, but a "problem" so far that all versions seem to be polling equally
  • do other non-train items?  2 more buses close to tooling, as for other vehicles maybe? - Jason likes Concorde
  • watch for future newsletters! - Rapido UK is about to hire a warranty technician, more hires coming in future
  • railcrew switch machines - in stock in Canada, will try to ship some to UK warehouse for anyone interested in buying them.
  • Rapido founded by Jason in 2004, didn't make a profit until 2013 - cash flow really matters, see previous newsletter with essay by Jason on the issue
  • lots more discussed (Jason goes off topic several times) - things like Scotch, clothing, Dr. Who, ...

Thank you for taking the trouble to post that. What catches my eye is the S160. It also caught my eye in the Bachmann Collectors’ Club 2022 calendar. Do a lot of people want it or are we just very noisy? Assuming that it is a good choice, I wonder if all this secretive tooling will lead to duplication. It was the presence of an S160 at the APT-E launch at Locomotion all those years ago which fired my interest. Jason has only himself to blame.

I have class 28s and for the Condor they have to make do with Conflat As. Conflat Ps in 4mm would be very welcome.

E1s quandary? Easy. Do some of them first and the rest later. Flip a coin if you can’t make up your mind. There’s nothing like making a decision to make one think, “Nah, I’m not happy with that. I’ll go the other way.”

• Like 2

7 hours ago, No Decorum said:

What catches my eye is the S160. It also caught my eye in the Bachmann Collectors’ Club 2022 calendar. Do a lot of people want it or are we just very noisy?

Some random thoughts on a potential model of the S160, conclusions could be entirely wrong

• Jason mentioned (I think in the UK Live stream) that about half their models are bought by collectors and not people with layouts
  • unique frequently sells
  • even for those with a layout, many aren't worried about prototypical accuracy and run what they want - which brings us to the previous point that unique can sell
  • as a WW2 item it brings up potential sales to an entire market who aren't normally interested in trains, those who collect WW2 models
  • potentially even opens up to people who collect US military, or stuff made by the US manufacturers of Alco, Baldwin or Lima

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 16/11/2021 at 22:59, mdvle said:

• 15xx tooling started

Plus there was mention of new wagons being designed. Plus Bill has given a list of GWR items to Andy, some of which are at the design stage. Let’s hope they are GWR rather than BR(W)

It was an interesting, if anarchic event, I suspect it follows the format of the main company events…. It was odd, taking a loco / bus  from the table behind and running up to the camera to show details, some of which could be seen.

Oh and don’t forget the bus! Pleas to buy the stocks of Guy Arabs, which they still have loads of!

• Like 1

I have watched it on facebook - good fun and informative.

Most interesting  was the (new to me) bit that the Titfield Thunderbolt bits and pieces would be made available in their proper  liveries somewhat after the initial releases.  One thing they did NOT cover was the possibility of an OO gauge Class 28, especially ones with the short-lived "wrap-around" end corner windows, but I can hope (!).

The idea of a 1/76th Concorde was well discussed.  I like the idea as I lived in two places where Concorde showed off her looks.  First in the south of Reading where in good weather one could look north and watch Concorde flying up the Thames valley, glinting in the sunlight (beautiful).  Then I moved to SW London where, if the wind was in the wrong direction, Concorde would take off to the east and then arc round to head west.   Where I lived Concorde would be on a heavily angled turn, turning southward, if the sun caught her she looked beautiful and magnificent, and the noise was simply amazing !   So loud and throbbing.  Brilliant !   They mentioned a sound fitted version, they would probably need to fit a 12-inch sub-woofer to get the quality of bass correct.    I'd buy one !

Obviously the E1 survey is causing them problems with the various versions being roughly equal in popularity, which is a shame as I would definitely buy some.  Good luck to the project.

They obviously want more of their general surveys filled in so that they can get  a better idea of peoples' interests.

Me ?  I want at least three E-1 versions, especially British Railway ones.  Also the LBSC K-class 2-6-0 and southern/BR 4-COR EMU (despite Rapido's concerns over EMUs.

Anyway, good luck to Rapido in whatever they decide.

• Like 2

The LBSC K class - wow what a choice.  Doesn't fit with my plans but is a beautiful loco with plenty of livery choices and would fill in a rather large gap for modellers and collectors

Correcting MDvie - The 4mm Conflat P doesn't actually need the Metrovick but it probably would be nice for some. I never bought one because again they aren't relevant to me but I would happily by some Conflat Ps and Timbers in 4mm. I am assuming the Midlands Condor to Aston in Birmingham also conveyed Conflat Ps, and I believe that was an 1160hp Sulzer which is already produced by two other companies.

The S160.  Again wow !!! a stunning design and plenty of preserved livery variations here in the UK.

Go Rapido !!!!    

Edited by Covkid
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I can't see why the production of a Timber P should depend on the sales of the Conflat P. Kind of like assuming all bus models would be as “successful” as the Birmingham Guy Arab…

Personally, I would purchase several Timber Ps but have zero interest in the Conflat P. While I'm interested in the class 28, it's due to its use in the Barrow area, not the Condor. Given the way Jason seems to choose prototypes, I'm not surprised it took so long for Rapido to make a profit. How did the company survive? I'm sure DJM would have liked to know…

• Like 1

Well your sort of right and sort of wrong.

So whilst your right that the timber p may appeal to those who are not interested in a conflat P it’s not as simple as that.

The conflat P seemed logical with our class 28 - and we had a LOT of requests for it. I’ve not seen a similar number for the Timber P.

To do the Timber P we would be starting again from a tooling point of view - although from a research and design point of view we would be well ahead.

We also need to consider - can we sell enough wagons that had specific regional / geographic or limited operational life. The Conflat P was worth a punt because of the link with the 28 and the amount of asks for it. If however the sales turn out to not be ideal then it does call into question if a timber P (or other similar wagons) would be feasible or if we should maybe try some more common/mundane types next.

whilst it’s very easy to say ‘manufacturer x should make y’ there is a LOT more work required than that.

Regarding the comments about how long a company takes to make a profit - even some really good projects won’t make a company that are expanding quickly make a profit overnight. 

The model making business is VERY complicated.

Andy

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Great to to see the 442 being given serious discussion. A great looking EMU, a variety of liveries and it would open up a whole host of potential modelling opportunities for those interested in building a third rail layout that could accommodate modern freight, DMUs and the 450 EMU.

all the best

Godfrey

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

Well your sort of right and sort of wrong.

So whilst your right that the timber p may appeal to those who are not interested in a conflat P it’s not as simple as that.

The conflat P seemed logical with our class 28 - and we had a LOT of requests for it. I’ve not seen a similar number for the Timber P.

To do the Timber P we would be starting again from a tooling point of view - although from a research and design point of view we would be well ahead.

We also need to consider - can we sell enough wagons that had specific regional / geographic or limited operational life. The Conflat P was worth a punt because of the link with the 28 and the amount of asks for it. If however the sales turn out to not be ideal then it does call into question if a timber P (or other similar wagons) would be feasible or if we should maybe try some more common/mundane types next.

whilst it’s very easy to say ‘manufacturer x should make y’ there is a LOT more work required than that.

Regarding the comments about how long a company takes to make a profit - even some really good projects won’t make a company that are expanding quickly make a profit overnight. 

The model making business is VERY complicated.

Andy

Point well made @rapidoandy….. having been in the acquisition business in the UK before I retired, I understand all too well how profitability varies so much.

However of course, I would love to see what was on the list Bill Schneider gave you :-) Hopefully you got my product suggestions via the Rapido UK website :-)

• Like 1

I watched the FB Live recording right through. I thought it gave some valuable insight into the considerations involved in producing models of all types. 

I have a sound fitted 28 on order and am delighted to hear that in terms of pre-orders the model has proved to be so popular, I guess it has the same quirkiness as the EFE (Ex DJM) Clayton which seems to have been an equally savvy choice, proving that poor locos in reality definitely does not mean unpopular in model form. 

I was another who asked for the Conflat P's just because Cuneo's painting made the Co-Bo synonymous with the Condor service, but as a modeller I am very happy (1) that my 28 and P's will be operating well away from the designated route (diverted - Rule 1 is your friend!) and (2) I do not necessarily need to order a full rake of P's to have the desired effect. I think I have ordered 8 and this (maybe 2 more) with a Stove R at the rear will do nicely. It would be nice to think that someone might do the "Condor" headboard in N too (If Rapido don't provide a nice etched one in the packaging - hint).

I was delighted that the popularity of the 28 is likely to mean more N diesels, and clearly from a cost basis this makes sense, there are however only a few as yet untouched RTR ones from the modernisation plan, of which I guess maybe the pretty little Baby Deltic may feature strongly alongside the Class 21/29 (not so sure about the Class 15?).

Acknowledging the cost v return issue, I would personally love to see Rapido produce something steam, possibly a simple N Gauge -0-6-0 tender loco design but I suspect they are a long way from that at the moment.

Roy

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...