Hornby Advent Calender 2021

Hroth

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know with the YouTube subscribe entries if you have to unsubscribe/resubscribe to enter the draw (what I have been doing) or just comment if you are already YT subscribed?

The web entry competition for today is to win tickets to Model Rail Scotland. A bit of a gamble, there's no telling what the coronavirus restrictions are going to be like by the end of February...

Never mind, Shortest Day on Tuesday, we'll be climbing out of the trough of darkness soon!

Happy Saturnalia!!!

Edited by Hroth
still not really awake...
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

As noted above, it's not so much a bit of seasonal fun, but more a marketing exercise to see who uses which social media channels. A handy pointer to their market demographic too.

It's also a nice way to make those customers who don't subscribe to any of the channels feel left out.

Never mind, it's almost over!

• Agree 3

It does make me wonder what the take-up on this competition is and how all these ‘tagged’ people will view it? Well I don’t have social media ‘friends’, apart from my immediate family and I’m not going to p155 them off for something that I can live without. At least this is one thread that has a limited lifespan.

With one day to go...

Play Tik Tok Tag and win a pair of 48DSs.

(That's what Hornby say!)

1 hour ago, AyJay said:

It does make me wonder what the take-up on this competition is and how all these ‘tagged’ people will view it? Well I don’t have social media ‘friends’, apart from my immediate family and I’m not going to p155 them off for something that I can live without. At least this is one thread that has a limited lifespan.

You'd have to ask Hornby that, and it's probably commercially sensitive so they won't tell you! It's also your decision to participate or not. And finally, as you note, the thread will cease to have any meaning after tomorrow's update. It's just a bit of fun and I do it so that prospective competitors only need visit Hornby if there is an offer that they're interested in.

Never mind! Ho Ho Ho!!!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Hroth said:

With one day to go...

Play Tik Tok Tag and win a pair of 48DSs.

(That's what Hornby say!)

You'd have to ask Hornby that, and it's probably commercially sensitive so they won't tell you! It's also your decision to participate or not. And finally, as you note, the thread will cease to have any meaning after tomorrow's update. It's just a bit of fun and I do it so that prospective competitors only need visit Hornby if there is an offer that they're interested in.

Never mind! Ho Ho Ho!!!

To some extent though they are also shooting themselves in the foot by disincentivising those potential purchasers that don’t use all the varieties of social media - if Hornby can’t be arsed to have an inclusive attitude to their competitions it makes you feel they think you are not part of their plans so why should I make them part of mine? Perhaps not very well worded but I am sure you get the gist of my point.

Edited by john new
Punctuation corrected
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, john new said:

To some extent though they are also shooting themselves in the foot by disincentivising those potential purchasers that don’t use all the varieties of social media - if Hornby can’t be arsed to have an inclusive attitude to their competitions it makes you feel they think you are not part of their plans so why should I make them part of mine? Perhaps not very well worded but I am sure you get the gist of my point.

What I think you're saying John is that those who are model railway enthusiasts, do not need Hornby to promote themselves.  Those who are not, don't want it!

Personally, the thing that really gets me p155ed off is these constant pop-ups that say things like:

"People in <enter your town name> are all excited about this <funeral plan/life-insurance/senior benefit/medical equipment supplier>."   

Sorry, shouldn't introduce subject creep, please ignore.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Yeah. But it's mostly aimed at Tweenies and teens that don't really care if they are tagging their friends. It's not really aimed at those that haven't seen their teenage years for a few decades. Myself included.

They probably get hundreds of these things a day. They know how to ignore things on "Socials", they just scroll past.

Jason

• Like 1

I suppose that the thing to do would be to set up another account for yourself on the various social media channels and incessantly "friend" that when required for competition entries.

Surely you could get away with that?  :scratchhead::jester:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

And so, to the Grand Finale...

A picture of a blurry iPad with 'Merry Christmas from Hornby' written underneath...

I tried to click on the picture but it's just that: a picture...

Ah well, Happy Christmas folks; see you next year!

David 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

And so Hornby bow out of the 2021 Advent Calendar with a lacklustre Christmas greeting. Must be that Marketing want the weekend off!

Oh well, until next year...

A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all at RMweb!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1