Llanyblod - the end of steam in Wales

JustinDean

• RMweb Gold

Before I start to sound a bit anti-trains I should add I really love old industrial and railway architecture and the particular juxtaposition they provide to the landscape, so I guess having a train in there also makes sense. 

Despite all this I do feel like I have a reasonable knowledge of the Cromford & High Peak operation due to some of the well informed members on this site. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

Before I start to sound a bit anti-trains I should add I really love old industrial and railway architecture and the particular juxtaposition they provide to the landscape, so I guess having a train in there also makes sense. 

Despite all this I do feel like I have a reasonable knowledge of the Cromford & High Peak operation due to some of the well informed members on this site. 

Jay, it's YOUR model and you can do WHATEVER YOU LIKE with it. You do NOT need to justify your approach to anyone on here. NOT EVER.

If they don't like it, you can tell them to go to that place in Kent. What was it called? FAR CORFE.

I TOTALLY agree with your philosophy. The landscape and structures is primary, the railway just adds the "icing on the cake". Nice icing, too. Better than Al's Brie!!!!!  :sarcastic::angel:

Jeff

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

Today I smeared a load of chocolate over the icing.

Once set I sketched a few ideas directly onto surfaces after spending a bit of time staring at it. I’ve had a clear idea of what this should look like from the start but things do change as it becomes a three dimensional object. 

Then the cheese and port came out. 

Jay

C015CE8A-3667-46B2-838A-E00AD87A1ED2.jpeg

E0466160-1CB6-4A81-BFD2-4252038545DF.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

So after consuming my own body weight in a variety of cheeses and (currently) half a bottle of port I thought what better time to crack out a Wills point rodding kit.  
I’ve never made point rodding before and it seems I quite enjoy it. Or maybe port just helps. 

Jay 

DC9AA5FF-5DF9-41F1-AB03-95D73E89C5F4.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
On 19/12/2021 at 18:20, JustinDean said:

Just leaving this here to indicate the kind of vibes I want to go for….

AD705794-0D52-4B50-BA36-31346534C68F.jpeg

Splendid, Jay. That view ticks more than a few of this particular sheeps 'essentials for layout' boxes. 

As for port, absolutely. We also had a bit of a platter session last night made up of a variety of cheeses, meat and home made bread and pickles, accompanied by a decent beer ( McEwans Champion for the record) finished with an ambitious glass of good port. Topped up, said glass then accompanied me to the Room of Doom. 

These early views of the layout coming together indicate that this, as perhaps is right to expect, will be a very nice looking layout indeed. 

Jolly damn good. 

Rob. 

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Splendid, Jay. That view ticks more than a few of this particular sheeps 'essentials for layout' boxes. 

As for port, absolutely. We also had a bit of a platter session last night made up of a variety of cheeses, meat and home made bread and pickles, accompanied by a decent beer ( McEwans Champion for the record) finished with an ambitious glass of good port. Topped up, said glass then accompanied me to the Room of Doom. 

These early views of the layout coming together indicate that this, as perhaps is right to expect, will be a very nice looking layout indeed. 

Jolly damn good. 

Rob. 

Thanks Rob - I appreciate the encouragement. 
Nearly as much as I appreciate a good ale!

Jay

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Been busy on this layout today having been banished from the kitchen. 
So in all I’ve tarted  up the PECO points to make them look a little more acceptable to my eye. Put some more rodding in unassisted by port. I recommend this job is way better when alcohol assisted. Made the brick front for the platform face. Finally I plonked some bits in place to see how this is coming together so here’s some photos. 

Merry Xmas folks - hope Santa brings you some decent toys!

Jay

52456D47-C954-49C3-A58D-A91EB3A7B61B.jpeg

2A171D53-080D-40A8-A9CE-BABD5EA5C4FF.jpeg

A0B9BAB2-2F5F-46CE-B825-0DD5D98B906A.jpeg

64BCF42A-8217-4DE9-B7CB-DEDDC5ED54DF.jpeg

B7DF0210-690B-45C0-A3EC-4A05A759EE73.jpeg

94A16CE2-F0F7-4DEF-848D-8EDE802C5038.jpeg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Work in progress on the goods shed scratch build. Still have doors, end canopy and brick supports to go for what will be a very run down tin box. The structure is based on a type found on the Tanat Valley Light Railway and I’ve been working off plans and photos in the excellent book by Mike Lloyd.

Jay

EFEB18B1-5CBB-4132-A140-F2EC0C512D56.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I’ve made some progress on Llanyblod. 
Track laid and wire droppers soldered.

Ballast from a mix of 2mm scale limestone, grey tile grout and chinchilla dust in equal measures. 
Earth and ash surfaces. 
Static grass using WWS: Dead, Autumn, Winter and Muddy in lengths varying between 2-6mm. I treat this stuff like a kind of 3D paint pallet mixing lengths and shades to suit. 
Platform surfaces have been started. Need to paint brickwork and fit edging slabs. 

Jay

99C7EE31-96A4-4078-A1BA-E13A77CCBD05.jpeg

Edited by JustinDean
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

Yep, Jay, that looks the part. A nice well-worn feel to it, built according to prototype and spot-on for your location.

You're clearly enjoying yourself. Good stuff.

Jeff.

Cheers Jeff. Ay it was good fun working on this.  I wanted to convey it was just about holding together in one piece and I think it’s about there. Still need to add mortar on the brick pillar supports…these will be pretty much buried in undergrowth when on the layout. 

Jay

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, JustinDean said:

Cheers Jeff. Ay it was good fun working on this.  I wanted to convey it was just about holding together in one piece and I think it’s about there. Still need to add mortar on the brick pillar supports…these will be pretty much buried in undergrowth when on the layout. 

Jay

If I said it looks like it's about to fall apart, take it as a compliment to the modelling.

I'm sure there's plenty of glue in there!

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Spot on Jay. 

Optimum size. 

Rob. 

It’s definitely optimum for moving around. It also looks ridiculous next to Middleton Top being half the surface area of just one of the ‘Top’s boards. 

Jay

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JustinDean said:

It’s definitely optimum for moving around. It also looks ridiculous next to Middleton Top being half the surface area of just one of the ‘Top’s boards. 

Jay

It's half the size of one of my boards too, but that's irrelevant to the inspiration and interest it's providing, particularly as I'm having something of a motivational lull with my own layout.

Keep posting!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The great thing about the size of that project, Jay, is that you get a "lot of bang for your buck" TIMEwise. It's barely 3 weeks since you started and your creation is already at an advanced stage.

And looking very good, too.

FAR better than some fictional claptrap using everything RTP. What you're  building has real character and provides immense satisfaction in the achievement.

As Rob said in the previous post, "keep posting!"

Jeff

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1