Llanyblod - the end of steam in Wales

JustinDean

• RMweb Gold

This is intended as a small side project to my main layout Middleton Top which can be found here:

As I travel around a lot I only get to work on the main layout once per week so being quite taken with the ‘layout in a box’ concept I thought I’d have a go. The layout travels around in the back of my motor with me meaning if I have the opportunity I can crack on with some modelling pretty much anywhere. 

A photo of Blodwell Junction and Model Rail offering their very nice Pannier tank model at a discount prompted a start. There’s also a lot of fantastic inspiration on RMWeb; for small or minimal layouts @NHY 581’s Sheep Dip, Geoff Forster’s Bleddfa and Tom Foster’s Welsh layouts come to mind. Llanyblod is going to borrow heavily from Blodwell Junction and will have an additional goods shed typical of the Tanat Valley line. It’s also going to be set on a wet autumn day which will present some scenic challenges. 

Jay

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve already built the board kit. This came from Scale Model Scenery and cost just over forty quid. It was simplicity itself to put together and took about 10 minutes. All joints were glued using Gorilla Glue and left to set for 24 hours. These boards are designed to fit snugly into a Really Useful Box - this is now the mode of transport in the back of my 4x4. 
In addition I added some 18mm quadrant across the front and back serving the duel purpose of strengthening the backscene and keeping the joint tight while creating a support for a roof which will hold LED lighting. 

71A4F42D-D041-424B-9B58-B26FA37B26F8.jpeg

81188ABF-2B4D-4D83-93A5-B81F2AA732C7.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

The backscene corner joints have been given a very slight curve using decorators caulk to get rid of the 90° joins. This has then been given a wash of white emulsion. This is something I always do on house restoration projects…I like to have a blank canvas to work from. 
Card cut to the dimensions of the buildings have been made; there’s an abundance of plans in White Swans publication on the Tanat Valley Railways including all the Blodwell Junction structures. 
I also have a lot of bits and pieces left over from Middleton Top including several PECO code 75 points and I managed to snap up 10 meters of SMP finescale flexitrack for a tenner.

61CB32F3-84AA-4414-B47E-EB519DC92A42.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, JustinDean said:

Thanks Rob! 
I can see this being right up your street. Lots of rusty tin and grass on the track bed. 

Jay

My sort of neglect, Jay. Right up Sheep Street !

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

Great idea, Jay.

The prototype photos give you plenty to work with. I'm sure you'll enjoy building this!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. 
You could probably fit this entire layout onto your viaduct!

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, JustinDean said:

I’ve already built the board kit. This came from Scale Model Scenery and cost just over forty quid. It was simplicity itself to put together and took about 10 minutes. All joints were glued using Gorilla Glue and left to set for 24 hours. These boards are designed to fit snugly into a Really Useful Box - this is now the mode of transport in the back of my 4x4. 
In addition I added some 18mm quadrant across the front and back serving the duel purpose of strengthening the backscene and keeping the joint tight while creating a support for a roof which will hold LED lighting. 

71A4F42D-D041-424B-9B58-B26FA37B26F8.jpeg

81188ABF-2B4D-4D83-93A5-B81F2AA732C7.jpeg

Is that the Really Useful Christmas Tree Box? I use RUBs a lot to store stock and books etc. so using a couple of them to store a layout has definite attractions.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, simonmcp said:

Are you going to do the flooded version as in the colour picture? That would be a talking point, don't think I've ever seen a layout with that on it.

Simon

I thought about it but I reckon  that may be a tad beyond my skill set to pull off. I also haven’t seen a flooded railway modelled before - would make an excellent talking point. 

C717E718-146A-4730-8557-F6F536664DFF.jpeg

691E4C14-02E0-4A99-80B7-526084A8BAA7.jpeg

Edited by JustinDean
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

Is that the Really Useful Christmas Tree Box? I use RUBs a lot to store stock and books etc. so using a couple of them to store a layout has definite attractions.

It was the 77 litre box. Scale Model Scenery have set up the dimensions on their kit to fit this exactly. 
I purchased mine from Amazon but since learned they’re available from The Range. 

Jay

1675CF50-FDF1-434B-96A6-E099C69E8333.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Just found this Jay, and will be following along. I love the idea of the RUB, I wonder if Ladmanlow would fit in that one... Hmmm...

Al.

I suspect this particular box may be a bit narrow for Ladmanlow at 25cm wide?

jay

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

How big is Ladmanlow?

Without any extensions or fiddle yard it's 1220mm x 450mm or 4 foot by 18 inches, near enough.

Just looking on the Really Useful Products page, it doesn't look like they do one it would fit.

Al.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Without any extensions or fiddle yard it's 1220mm x 450mm or 4 foot by 18 inches, near enough.

Just looking on the Really Useful Products page, it doesn't look like they do one it would fit.

Al.

Ah !

if I spot anything on my travels I’ll let you know mate. 

Jay

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve made an attempt at painting the backscene - this is a first go at doing this kind of thing I should add. Being set in Wales during late autumn I thought an ominous overcast sky was appropriate. I know there’s a few artists on RMWeb so any guidance on how I can improve the this would be grand. 
Jay

10A05D62-95B1-45FB-BD3F-F0D555DD6DC7.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1