Llanyblod - the end of steam in Wales

JustinDean

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I’ve decided to go off on a bit of a tangent from layout building and feel it’s time I start sorting out the motive power for both Llanyblod and Middleton Top. I have a number of RTR locos that need modifying to varying degrees along with a large pile of unmade loco kits. Rather than plunge straight into these I thought I’d purchase a cheap RTR model to hopefully develop some skills and learn from any mistakes.

Inspired by @NHY 581’s recent Hattons 14XX acquisition and the (de) weathering process he applied I found this Dapol version for £20 so no great loss if I totally arse it up! I’ve heard there’s running issues with this particular model - bad pickups/traction tyres/sprung back wheel all apparently contribute. We’ll see.

I’m going to focus on the body first and there’s a few things I personally find offensive straight away. The moulded smoke box handles and the couplers with their associated pockets really spoil the overall look of the model. As far as I can tell from photos of the real 1438 it never had the top feed cover located behind the smoke box either. I’m not 100% sure about removing that yet as I’m not confident about getting a decent finish on the boiler afterwards. Happy to receive advice on that or any other elements!

Last of all I want to keep this cheap and cheerful so all I’m planning on ‘upgrading’ are number plates, smokebox number, smokebox handles and screwlink couplings. The numbers are on order and the rest I have in the spares box. 

Jay

A92B0589-2F2E-4B0D-A1AD-9FF1F547E564.jpeg

A7CD9B73-0702-4938-A257-1E7CA4BE5FDC.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Enjoy, it's quite addictive though. 

I have two 14xx from the same source that I am going to backdate and detail. One will become a late surviving 517 with a bit of luck.

Have you had either of them running Rob? If so any issues?

Jay

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

First progress report. 

removed couplings and chopped out a load of the bulky plastic at the ends of the chassis. 

sliced off the smoke box handles. I’m wondering what the best way of getting this back to a smooth finish is when there’s so little room to work. 

sliced out moulded coal and refined upside down with a slight recess for some of the real stuff. 

85790FC7-DC4F-4564-A6C6-130F0727DF26.jpeg

17475AE7-7476-4D10-949C-49FE4419FA76.jpeg

D63CEAA1-A093-4F1A-AA97-14E0FE97FC55.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Fibreglass pencil might work for the smokebox darts, followed by some very fine wet and dry, perhaps held on the blunt end of a pencil with some blue tack?

I’ll give it a go Graham. Cheers!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, NHY 581 said:

Try really fine grade w&d.......2000 maybe ? 

I’ve used a fibreglass pencil as Graham suggested followed by grade 2000 as you’ve mentioned Rob. Just needs a paint now. Oh and hole for the handles. Photos soon…

Cheers!

Jay

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JustinDean said:

Have you had either of them running Rob? If so any issues?

Jay

I've only run them enough to know that they work. Usual thing with such locos is dirty wheels, dirty contacts and a lack of oil. A good clean and service is important before giving it a good run to wake it up, otherwise the motor tends to grenade itself. Most spares seem to be available as Hornby reissued the 14xx with a few improvements.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I've only run them enough to know that they work. Usual thing with such locos is dirty wheels, dirty contacts and a lack of oil. A good clean and service is important before giving it a good run to wake it up, otherwise the motor tends to grenade itself. Most spares seem to be available as Hornby reissued the 14xx with a few improvements.

Thanks for the info - any recommendation on oil?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Refinished smoke box. Looking at this photo the pipe under the buffer beam needs raising. I’ve realised I’ve left my box of bits at my gaff in Wirksworth so it’ll be a few days till I can return to this but I feel it’s a satisfactory start. 

Jay

EF0C72C8-DCCA-481B-8B89-2CCA7A26118B.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, JustinDean said:

Thanks for the info - any recommendation on oil?

Hi Jay, 

I use the Gaugemaster 'oil pens'. A little drop goes a long way............

Rob

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Must

Resist

Digging

Out

My

Airfix

14XX

('s)

go-on-father-ted.gif.6585db3383daa837c6b820b656309534.gif

• Funny 9

If you want to go a bit further, Wizard sell the old Mainly Trains detailing kit for the 14xx, which I think was designed, mastered etc by Iain Rice. There is a chimney, safety valve, backhead, smokebox door, and some other bits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Barclay said:

If you want to go a bit further, Wizard sell the old Mainly Trains detailing kit for the 14xx, which I think was designed, mastered etc by Iain Rice. There is a chimney, safety valve, backhead, smokebox door, and some other bits.

Thanks for that I’ll take a look!

Jay

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Barclay said:

20 hours ago, JustinDean said:

Thanks for that I’ll take a look!

Jay

Also, FWIW, there were articles in Model Railway Journal issues 1 and 2 giving the Airfix 14xx a make-over (and also a new chassis) which is well worth a read.

High Level also do a chassis kit for this loco, complete with dummy inside motion.

All the best,

Mark

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Three months? I didn't realise that you were having a full size set cast and polished!

On the one hand it’s great that a service exists where you can order a custom made set of etched plates for a few quid but then on the other hand, three months. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1