Llanyblod - the end of steam in Wales

JustinDean

• RMweb Premium

Jay, I think that given the size of your project and the location, what you've painted is appropriate for the backscene.

Statistically speaking, I should have done something similar with Gill Head. But the thought of storm clouds filling the Bunker made me take a more optimistic view of the weather.

With the Ais Gill "plank" and a couple of dioramas in the offing, this layout of yours has really grabbed my interest. Excellent stuff!

Jeff

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

Jay, I think that given the size of your project and the location, what you've painted is appropriate for the backscene.

Statistically speaking, I should have done something similar with Gill Head. But the thought of storm clouds filling the Bunker made me take a more optimistic view of the weather.

With the Ais Gill "plank" and a couple of dioramas in the offing, this layout of yours has really grabbed my interest. Excellent stuff!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff - yeah I reckon an entire room like yours painted in this way would be pretty darn oppressive!

• RMweb Gold

Part of the point of Llanyblod for me is to get together a layout fairly quickly as I’m ridiculously impatient. So unlike Middleton Top on which I’m constructing scratchbuilt, as accurate as I can muster structures, this layout is going to be subject to some artistic license. Tonight I’ve made a start on the signal box using the PECO kit as a basis. To give it some Tanat Valley vibes I’ve made new sides so the brickwork extends further up and lowered the cabin section. Here’s a work in progress-

Jay

065E3159-E5ED-47AD-B407-E3819A5AE893.jpeg

Edited by JustinDean

• RMweb Gold

I should mention the steps are deliberately short as they’re going to rest on the platform. I’m also aware the downpipe isn’t going to function too well as it is!

Jay

Edited by JustinDean
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, JustinDean said:

I’m also aware the downpipe isn’t going to function too well as it is!

No, but it's a lovely prototypical feature. You could add some staining down the brickwork to show it's been like that a while...

Al.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Managed to grab a bit of time today. 
Drilled some holes for point motors, wire droppers and carved some top out for a stream. Holes through backscene so trains can exit the layout. More holes for signals and lights. The layout is now Swiss cheese. 
Ive started to build surfaces up with layers of foam; the next job will be to carve this to resemble contours.  It may seem odd to start this part before track laying but I’m planning on using filler over the foam and don’t want to risk getting it all over the track. 

Jay

103B8CCD-6616-427F-81FA-346BEA84F81C.jpeg

Edited by JustinDean
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, JustinDean said:

Managed to grab a bit of time today. 
Drilled some holes for point motors, wire droppers and carved some top out for a stream. Holes through backscene so trains can exit the layout. More holes for signals and lights. The layout is now Swiss cheese. 
Ive started to build surfaces up with layers of foam; the next job will be to carve this to resemble contours.  It may seem odd to start this part before track laying but I’m planning on using filler over the foam and don’t want to risk getting it all over the track. 

Jay

Evening Jay.

Whether you prefer to lay the track or the landscape first is clearly a personal preference.

I've always put the track in first as, with no obstacles/hillsides etc in the way, access is much simpler and it can all be laid, wired and tested before "stuff" is added.

As you know, a very large proportion of Gill Head is made up of cuttings, valley and embankments. All of this consists of insulation board coated with liberal amounts of filler (over 200kg so far) and it's been easy to avoid mucking the track up just by lying lengths of packaging cardboard over the track (or plastic sheet) in the areas where the filler is being slopped-on.

If you are happy with your method, great - go for it!

Jeff

• Friendly/supportive 3

I protected my track whilst landscaping by sticking strips of two inch masking tape over them. The below rail level landscaping was done during and before laying the track to make sure I had all of my bridges lined up though.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

It's all progress, Jay, even if you have contaminated The family cake...

The habit must be catching as I spent a pleasant time today mixing more of the stuff.

Filler that is, not cheese....

There are some that don't like this aspect of the hobby. It's mucky and I love it!

Jeff

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Physicsman said:

It's all progress, Jay, even if you have contaminated The family cake...

The habit must be catching as I spent a pleasant time today mixing more of the stuff.

Filler that is, not cheese....

There are some that don't like this aspect of the hobby. It's mucky and I love it!

Jeff

It’s my favourite bit, along with making buildings. 
I should probably just make dioramas and ignore the train stuff. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Looks like a nice gooey Brie...

This may be 'cos I've just cut into our Christmas one, though... :D

Al.

Im just about to put together the first Xmas cheese board and due to my addiction to the stuff will probably run out by Xmas. 

• Friendly/supportive 4