The Siphon G, by Accurascale - From Milk To Mail!

• RMweb Premium

Having just checked my Livery register again @checkrail, my decision was tipped by the fact that being NPCSS, like passenger stock the 1930 scheme calls for black ends to vehicles. In 1934, some stock later reverted to all-over brown, but only on older stock in less important traffic. Express traffic appears to be exempt from this.
So if your Siphon G pottered up and down branch lines, then yes, all-over brown is possibly likely. But on Express Milk, the likelihood is that black ends were retained.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 25/06/2023 at 21:55, Dominion said:

The Accurascale magnetic couplings with the Siphon G work with the West Hill Wagon Works Hunt Elite's. This coupling combination pulled 9 vehicles behind it so far.

I can't help wondering how meaningful such figures are. 

It's great to know what they'll do on the level, but obviously the limit will be lower if you've got gradients.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dominion said:

Ah, sorry for not being more specific. Yes my layout is flatish.

Not criticising you - lots of reviews quote talk about pulling power of a loco or the strength of magnetic coupling in such terms, but the numbers don't necessarily apply to a different layout, so it doesn't tell me what result I could expect.

• Like 1

A few pages back there was a discussion about end plates/gangway protectors, and a nice photo of the end of  a siphon was posted. Did we ever get more info about the date/location of the picture? 

7 hours ago, Pteremy said:

A few pages back there was a discussion about end plates/gangway protectors, and a nice photo of the end of  a siphon was posted. Did we ever get more info about the date/location of the picture? 

It was a photo from my collection. No date on the back but if you put a glass on the photo there is an oiling date of 18/2/37 chalked on the solebar. The coach, alongside has 1930's lining and a light roof suggesting pre- war. No location but I would suggest the siphon has just been removed from the front of a train (because of the end board) and the loco has move off to recouple to the main train, possibly alongside. The hoses have not been put in their holders suggesting it will be coupled up again soon. Common daily occurence all over the system.

Mike Wiltshire

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

The original HMRS 'Siphons' book states "All the bogie Siphons ... had brown bodies and ends with black underframes ..."  -  maybe conflicting information will be published in the forthcoming revision.

I should have look here first rather than trawling through picture files. Page 93 has an ex works siphon j with the coach alongside reflecting in the new paintwork. Clearly the sides and ends are the same colour. In addition early pre Siphon G types had GW and numbers on the ends. Would this happen on a black end....I doubt it.

My brown vehicle ends are brown and staying that way.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, Islesy said:

like passenger stock the 1930 scheme calls for black ends to vehicles. 

As always there were exceptions to the scheme. Auto coaches and several mainline coach diagrams has the c&c wrapped around the ends.

Mike Wiltshire

clerestorysaloon.jpg.104572de9bd2711947a7e5107b9d0bc1.jpg

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

It's a lovely model but the crimson one really had a daylgow finish which had to go, and of course I weathered the maroon one as well.

rev Siphon crimson weathered.jpg

rev Siphon maroon weathered.jpg

They really do look the part with some judicious weathering - very nicely done! I'm particularly enamoured of the way they sit down on their bogies.

By the way. your backscene is reminiscent of the Golden Valley line and the area behind Bath Spa station - very appropriate.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

By the way. your backscene is reminiscent of the Golden Valley line and the area behind Bath Spa station - very appropriate.

Tks, I was actually trying to recreate Chilterns as best I could from available backscenes (ID backscenes in this case - no connection)

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/07/2023 at 10:26, Metr0Land said:

It's a lovely model but the crimson one really had a daylgow finish which had to go, and of course I weathered the maroon one as well.

rev Accurascale Siphon crimson.jpg

rev Accurascale Siphon maroon angle.jpg

rev Siphon crimson weathered.jpg

rev Siphon maroon weathered.jpg

The shirt button version also scrubs up well, courtesy of @toboldlygo

2767siphong.jpg.152966458b20a924245081cc9d1e0e9c.jpg

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

We’re really loving seeing you folks beat the siphons with the weathering sticks, just some utterly fantastic results. Please keep them coming, we get great satisfaction out of seeing them (and our other models) getting this personalisation and being a base for modelling. What it’s all about.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 28/07/2023 at 14:09, gwrrob said:

Notice how close you can get the corridors and buffers on these.

DSCN9056.JPG.0662421254be0de8de6e2fd7589d09c5.JPG

DSCN9057.JPG.d7b9bcd40d0523ef47434a8586412d20.JPG

Very much so "GWRRob".  What have you done to the couplings please ?

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Covkid said:

What have you done to the couplings please ?

Seen on page 25 of this thread but repeated here. I use Hunt close couplings although I did trim and glue one to get a closer effect with the sprung buffers.

DSCN8966.JPG.8e38c04c99efb6acbe74494cd20ad4db.jpg.77c5d184cb9acc5690d20f35dd1a73a6.jpg

DSCN8967.JPG.ba2eea12fd6438058d25bc2e8f87b6df.jpg.001d1b5968edd749c57895c76595bec9.jpg

• Like 9

11 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Seen on page 25 of this thread but repeated here. I use Hunt close couplings although I did trim and glue one to get a closer effect with the sprung buffers.

DSCN8966.JPG.8e38c04c99efb6acbe74494cd20ad4db.jpg.77c5d184cb9acc5690d20f35dd1a73a6.jpg

DSCN8967.JPG.ba2eea12fd6438058d25bc2e8f87b6df.jpg.001d1b5968edd749c57895c76595bec9.jpg

Thanks very much for that Robin.  Great job. 

My problem is that I have just the one Siphon in BR maroon - to run in my late 1960s era parcels service amongst BR, LMS and SR vehicles. Part of my modelling interest is to be able to shunt vehicles as much as to run trains, so it seems I am going to have to nominate vehicles to run either side of the siphon, and maybe run them as a "triple" rather than individual vehicles.

Really impressed with what you have achieved.  What radius curves do you use ?  

Just been to page 25. Thanks again. 

Edited by Covkid
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Covkid said:

Thanks very much for that Robin.  Great job. 

My problem is that I have just the one Siphon in BR maroon - to run in my late 1960s era parcels service amongst BR, LMS and SR vehicles. Part of my modelling interest is to be able to shunt vehicles as much as to run trains, so it seems I am going to have to nominate vehicles to run either side of the siphon, and maybe run them as a "triple" rather than individual vehicles.

Really impressed with what you have achieved.  What radius curves do you use ?  

Just been to page 25. Thanks again. 

If you want close coupling and shuntability, you could try Roco coupler heads Ref. 40270 or 40271. One is two pairs the other a bulk pack of fifty; can't remember which.

They will uncouple over the same ramps used for tension locks, though they will obviously only couple to other Rocos (or Hornby's longer lookalikes)!

Magnetics are great for stuff that will stay together, though.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

There was a brief discussion earlier in the thread as to whether Spratt and Winkle couplings could be fitted, and the answer is yes! At least they can be if you operate with them below the bufferbeam as I do. With just a couple of notches made in the top of the bogie fram to accommodate the coupling bar, and the NEM pocket removed, it is pretty much non-destructive to the model, and completely reversible.

20230801_202024.jpg.a8b82a7406f95efdd726f9952b2c0932.jpg

The paddle of the coupling needs trimming to fit the NEM hole, and a big blob of solder to replace the lost leverage, but that's easy enough with trial and error.

20230802_202420.jpg.5c90228e67b6935b594fc9351a990bdb.jpg

The van will be gracing my layout, Whitborough Quayside this weekend at the Redcar show, so hopefully the couplings will behave under more stringent conditions than when it's been tested at home! Some light weathering has occurred too, just so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb!

20230803_195555.jpg.24894f5689ff915f34bac649617fe27c.jpg

20230803_195439.jpg.c89c496b3828aebdb2cafa59a177c5f9.jpg

Cheers

J

Edited by JaymzHatstand
Edited to correct spellnig!
  • Like 15

5 hours ago, JaymzHatstand said:

Just a quick update to say that the S&W couplings performed well over the weekend and the Siphon spent quite a while 'out front' being happily shunted about. It seemed to impress a few people too, so that's always a bonus!

20230806_112823.jpg.b171f2ecc6cbb025216e883b4dd7cd73.jpg

Cheers

J

Ooh I had two of those wagons (at the front) on my layout too. Nice to see other people had them also. No internet thirty years ago meant you rarely saw same models appear on layouts except at exhibitions. :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Csalem said:

Ooh I had two of those wagons (at the front) on my layout too. Nice to see other people had them also. No internet thirty years ago meant you rarely saw same models appear on layouts except at exhibitions. :)

I've got a few such wagons in my stock box, all slightly upgraded with things like vac pipes  and better wheels, they usually illicit a positive response (much in the vein of yours) or the appreciation of a younger viewer, or an eye roll from those who regard themselves above such frivolity!

I've a Polo and a Duracell tank somewhere to do next!

Cheers

J

• Like 4