How did the GWR transport christmas trees?

17 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

I get some weird enquiries occasionally at gwr.org.uk, but this one perhaps deserves a festive outing.

I'm guessing in Opens with tarps...

Agree, size dependant. A tall one would need an appropriately long Macaw or other bolster wagons. Presumably the branches would be roped/strapped to achieve the same tight bunch that a net achieves today.  Maybe someone somewhere has a photograph…

• Thanks 1

In a box from Woolies?   :prankster:

Certainly by the 1920s artificial trees were commonplace if not the norm. So I would expect those to be transported by vans. Before the bristle type I believe they were made of dyed feathers and originally imported from Germany (demand for which disappeared during WWI).

This is the type I mean. I'm sure there was still something similar in the old box of decorations in my nan's house in the 1970s.

default.jpg

https://digitalcollections.lib.washington.edu/digital/collection/imlsmohai/id/14565/

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

I get some weird enquiries occasionally at gwr.org.uk, but this one perhaps deserves a festive outing.

I'm guessing in Opens with tarps...

There was a tree every year on the concourse at Henley on Thames.

My assumption is that it would be felled locally…

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Plenty of illegal ones were carried on the footplate or guards vans of the pick up goods on country branch lines ….. allegedly 

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

"the poor people of Reading had been offered the charred remains at sixpence a portion!" - that we should be so lucky. I've got my fingers crossed that Waitrose will be able to fulfil my order this year.

But see also E.L. Ahrons, Locomotive and Train Working in the Latter Part of the Nineteenth Century Vol. 2 (Heffer, 1952) pp. 106-7 - Midland, and a goose, but close enough. An undeliverable consignment that the stationmaster disposed of internally.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Miss P, for want of the actual answer, perhaps instead you can inform the enquirer how certain christmas turkeys were carried (i.e. in horseboxes, as you may remember):

https://blog.railwaymuseum.org.uk/charles-dickens-missing-christmas-parcel/

Mr Portillo did a programme in which he explained that Thuxton Station (now part of the Mid Norfolk Railway) was once renowned for having a lot of seasonal turkey traffic (it didn't have a great deal else).  A local firm is still breeding black turkeys, though I think MNR has yet to win back the transport contract.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Since @Miss Prism raised the question I've had a faint tinkling at the back of my mind. A vague memory of sorts.  I dismissed it as preposterous, but this morning an invisible hand gently guided me to Atkins' GWR Goods Train Working Volume 2, page 238. 

Given the subject and the spirit of the season, I'm taking the liberty of showing a (deliberately poor) rendition of the image here. If anyone objects I'll remove it.

337379382_20211218_062704(1).jpg.6a0e71e17a403a8715cf48fe035d8d56.jpg

Caption: "Christmas Trees being loaded into GW Minks". No date. DJ Hyde Collection.

Interesting details - the desk and protective apron.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I know that in more modern times a main way of loading Christmas Trees at a certain time of year on one particular freight trip working was to jam them into the back cab of an EE Type 3 (Class 37 for younger readers).  However in that case I don't think there was any sort of charge for carriage.

I understand it was all carefully planned that the loading and unloading would take place well out of sight of any eyes of officialdom.  What they didn't think of was that said trees were readily visible from signa box windows ;)

• Like 3
  • Funny 5

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I know that in more modern times a main way of loading Christmas Trees at a certain time of year on one particular freight trip working was to jam them into the back cab of an EE Type 3 (Class 37 for younger readers).  However in that case I don't think there was any sort of charge for carriage.

I understand it was all carefully planned that the loading and unloading would take place well out of sight of any eyes of officialdom.  What they didn't think of was that said trees were readily visible from signa box windows ;)

My father worked for the Forestry Commission when I was born. 

In the run up to Xmas, they manned the fire-watching towers in the New Forest in an effort to apprehend anybody with a DIY approach to obtaining trees.  The aim was for Xmas trees to be identified by forestry workers for cutting down and sale as a by-product of the necessary thinning exercise as a plantation got better established.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

My father worked for the Forestry Commission when I was born. 

In the run up to Xmas, they manned the fire-watching towers in the New Forest in an effort to apprehend anybody with a DIY approach to obtaining trees.  The aim was for Xmas trees to be identified by forestry workers for cutting down and sale as a by-product of the necessary thinning exercise as a plantation got better established.

I have more than a suspicion that the quantity of trees which made their way into back cabs on that line had as much to do with someone other than railway staff as it did with traincrews whose train would only be stationary there for a few minutes. ;) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1