The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Solstice

spikey

• RMweb Gold

I love the Winter Solstice. It represents the nadir of the year, and the days from here on get longer again, which is so welcome.

My mother would have been 111 tomorrow, but sadly has been gone 48 years.

I am stuck in Sherry's flat, shielding while I wait for a result of the PCR test HMG required me to take last Thursday, after arriving from France, where Omicron levels are far lower. What happens if they never send me a result? Do I stay here forever? 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

What happens if they never send me a result? Do I stay here forever? 

Welcome to the Hotel Riviera, such a lovely place.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I am stuck in Sherry's flat, shielding while I wait for a result of the PCR test HMG required me to take last Thursday, after arriving from France, where Omicron levels are far lower. What happens if they never send me a result? Do I stay here forever? 

Apparently I live in the country's Omicron hotspot. Can't say I've noticed but then I never did have much of a social life. One of the things I like about golf is its lack of mandatory social interaction. In one competition I mentioned to my foursome that I struggle to remember other people's names and one of the guys replied "I find it doesn't matter, much" :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Blandford1969 said:

Yey - its up hill to the summer, longer days which is better for lots of us as these dark days batter many of us. To those who celebrate, enjoy. 

G

o

L

F

!

Okay so I play all the year around but I can't currently play in the evenings. It's a coming!

Disappointing absence of Sol here today.

I like to watch the march of risings and settings along the horizon, and always breathe a deep sigh of relief when they seem to pause, and after an agonising wait of a few days, visibly start to go in the opposite direction. Every year, there is just that tiny nag in the back of the mind that it isn’t going to happen, that the march will somehow go on, until it becomes permanent night. I certainly sympathise with those who live where it does, and the agonising wait is much longer.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

C'mon!

We haven't even had winter yet!!

Time to brace yerself....

That's true. We still have February to come. February can be a cruel, cruel month.

My birthday is in February - that's how bad it can be :D

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Several years ago I was commuting to Birmingham by train and standing on a station platform at 7am on a winter morning has nothing to recommend it especially when you know that at the end of the journey is a day's work :(

11 hours ago, AndrueC said:

Several years ago I was commuting to Birmingham by train and standing on a station platform at 7am on a winter morning has nothing to recommend it especially when you know that at the end of the journey is a day's work :(

Or at the end of a night's work you have a journey home on a 317 at 0520, all station stopper, 60 odd miles....uncomfortable, cold, noisy...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Or at the end of a night's work you have a journey home on a 317 at 0520, all station stopper, 60 odd miles....uncomfortable, cold, noisy...

Sounds awful. At least the Chiltern line was clean and punctual and since I was working in Birmingham not London it was always possible to find a seat.