Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Trains round a Christmas Tree. Why?

grow45

On 27/12/2021 at 21:25, Nearholmer said:

Fascinating.

Do you recall the scale of the models?

If 00, then possibly H-D and Kirdon locos, but if 0, they could have been using models from the BR publicity department's portable layout.

Yes I can remember the GLW Central Xmas tree and double track lines around the tree.  I think the second tree  was at GLW Queen Street.  I have a notion they were O Gauge but definitely not in 4mm. I do recall seeing a red LMS Duchess and the diesel twins wizzing round. (Alisdair)

• Thanks 1

Well, digging further into the NRM/Science museum collection, not only do they have the 1:24 model of 10000, but a Bonds 0 gauge model of it too (I can't find 10001 yet, but I'll keep hunting), so I think that Mr Steamport has nailed it.

I'm guessing that the BR publicity department models were given to Clapham Transport Museum, then moved into the NRM collection, and that the one(s) in the collection are the ones that went round the Christmas Tree.

• RMweb Premium
On 27/12/2021 at 21:53, Nearholmer said:

Hmmm .......... does sound like the sort of thing that the publicity department might be involved with. Bassett-Lowke made models of the Duchess Class, and I think the LMS Twins were made for them by Bonds (see this example in the Brighton Museum https://www.brightontoymuseum.co.uk/index/Diesel_locomotive_LMS_10001_(Bond's_of_Euston_Road) ), although they builtsome of their models in-house.

The BR layout was previously covered on RM Web.

In addition to those previously mentioned, Danny Fountain was an early member of Milton Keynes MRS before he moved away to work as part of the team building the famous O gauge layout owned by Col. R. J. Hoare (of kit manufacturer RJH fame).

Alternatively the layout at Glasgow Central could have been supplied by a local concern. The Clyde Model Dockyard was located underneath the station which I remember visiting in the early 1970s.

• Informative/Useful 1

53 minutes ago, 1E BoY said:

Alternatively the layout at Glasgow Central could have been supplied by a local concern. The Clyde Model Dockyard was located underneath the station which I remember visiting in the early 1970s.

At the time that layout was first set up (I first knew it in the 1950s, and it wasn’t new then), the Clyde Model Dockyard was in the Argyll Arcade. Still close to Central, but not as close as in later years.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Over the past 20 years or so there has been a growth in Christmas Trains which are found in garden centres, hardware shops, bargain stores and many places where you would not normally find train sets. They are usually made in China and are battery powered and often of dubious scale and gauge. They are almost all of American outline and are produced by various factories sometimes in different packaging for importers or companies. 

For many years members of Milton Keynes MRS have supported the switching on the Christmas Lights in Stony Stratford, in North Milton Keynes. This is an all day event with many local organisations taking stalls in the High Street along with fair ground rides providing a real community day.  Christmas trains operated in St. Mary's & St. Giles church right in the centre of the activities. The late Brian Barnes supplied a large Hornby O gauge loose layout ably supported by club members and friends. When Brian passed away Bill Marston, a Stony resident and well known as a collector of Lionel and Marx trains took on the role, although this came to an end with his own passing in 2018.

The club were approached to fill the void for Christmas 2020 as the lack of trains in 2019 had been noted. With Christmas 2020 all but cancelled for such events, the lights were still turned on but without fanfare.

A new team was assembled for 2021 using some of the Christmas trains we once displayed at Bletchley Park plus others we have collected since we first exhibited them at the Bedford Vintage Train Group in 2018. We aim to use the bigger trains at the front and the smaller ones (OO) towards the rear to add perspective. Good use is made of the Hornby Coca Cola and Santa Express train sets with the annual Christmas wagons making a colourful display. 

I appreciate that such things may offend many serious modellers, but sometimes working outside of our normal comfort zone enables clubs such as ours to engage with those who do not necessarily have any interest in model railways. 

The use of Christmas buildings (Leemax are sold by our local garden centres), trains and accessories provided a display much appreciated by those attending. The two circuits of Lionel Play Trains (Santa Express and Disney Mickey Mouse Christmas Express) are operated by battery powered hand sets. The four Christmas trams were produced by Leemax as was one of the trains in operation towards the rear of the scene. The oval on the right is O gauge. We had plenty more trains we could have displayed but space was restricted and we had to contend ourselves with only having 17 trains and trams in operation.

Due to Covid conditions it was necessary to have the doors open to allow through ventilation which added a real Christmas chill to the proceedings! The trains despite their dubious parentage in many cases, ran without issue all day despite the occasional gusts of wind.

Charity buckets provided for church funds saw us raise £102 in them to the organisers delight. The trains were back and everyone was happy - we have already been invited back for the event in 2022! Some children were reluctant to leave and could be heard protesting as they left the room!

Stony Lights 2021.jpg

Edited by 1E BoY
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium

The trains round the tree may have been a convenient place as it would be empty after all the presents are given out. Not sure how it would be before Christmas Day.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, BR60103 said:

The trains round the tree may have been a convenient place as it would be empty after all the presents are given out. Not sure how it would be before Christmas Day.

The village displays don’t usually feature presents from the photos. 
Together works and you can always make tunnels out of them ;)

On 28/12/2021 at 07:23, PaulRhB said:

O gauge doesn’t have to be big ;)

C2F83F43-37FE-4F2B-8B1C-1BC22D841120.jpeg.48582be7b25742eeeeebd559c97da6dd.jpeg