'Ballamoddey' - 1937 on the Mid Sodor Railway

Tom F

Stunning photo Tom! The lighting really adds to the effect of feeling like a early autumnal morning (or early autumn evening depending on the orientation of the layout!) 

like several others posted above, I don’t do Facecloth or other social media and can only get my fix of Ballamoddey on here. 
Regards, Bill. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Tom F said:

We have had some new arrivals in the last month.

I'd like to reveal firstly, MSR No. 6 'JIM'. Awdry's models were the old varikit from GEM that were not based on any particular prototype. Over the last few months I've been researching various prototypes that I feel were suited to a 25 mile railway with a steep mountain section. Enjoy!

MSR No. 6 ‘JIM’ Livery - Green

image.png.c3fb7255d3d52c6abc3cf89b473820f4.png

By the early 1900s, it had become clear that the MSR had severely underestimated the demand for goods traffic on the line. Numerous engines had come and gone over the years, but nothing that was present at this time, was particularly suitable. For goods traffic covering the 25 miles between Arlesburgh and Peel Godred double heading was becoming far more frequent, more than the MSR board were happy with.

By 1906, the situation was becoming desperate. The board had been keeping its eyes on narrow gauge events further afield. 1906 saw the construction and delivery of a large 2-6-2 tank engine by Hunslet of Leeds, for the North Wales Narrow Gauge Railway. The MSR board were particular impressed and a locomotive of a similar type was ordered. On arrival in 1907, the engine was named ‘JIM’ and given the No. 6. There was a however, a problem before the locomotive had even turned a wheel. There were severe clearance issues, in particularly regarding height, in the fourth tunnel of the ‘Mountain Road’. This information was common knowledge, but did not appear to have been passed on to Hunslet. 

There was a brief quarrel! The Board, blamed the Manager, the Manager blamed the foreman, the foreman blamed the chief fitter and the chief fitter blamed....well he had no one else to blame, so had to come up with a solution quickly! It was decided to cut down the locos fittings to within the loading gauge, reducing the height of the chimney, dome and cab. 

The tunnel situation was alleviated years later during ‘The Great War’ when the MSR carried military material from the Peel Godred garrison and the tunnels were opened out to a more generous clearance. Jim’s lower fittings were never altered throughout his working life on the MSR, which lasted until November 1936 when the locomotive was sold.

image.png.2cc1c398939d7929dd5b5a0bfe31a8c2.png

278234543_10159042592547984_872020505770049404_n.jpeg.21b8182983357881cefedefc219087e2.jpeg

Make no mistake, Tom, this thread is one of THE highlights of the forum. Your photos above are simply wonderful. 

Thank you. 

Rob. 

• Agree 16

• RMweb Gold

As we were discussing at SWAG this weekend, real sunlight on a model lifts it and adds a realism that no artificial illumination can give.

That's superb Tom, absolutely gorgeous.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Tom F said:

Finally got around to writing the article for Scaca Fell Forestry Crossing tonight, just a few edits required. 

Hope for it to be in Railway Modeller later in the year.

image.jpeg.7abd320973228889ce21d53bc3e31d57.jpeg

Outflippin'standing...........on every conceivable level.........

• Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, didcot said:

Another cracking photo Tom. Can I ask how you make the Slate fences?

Thank you! 
15 though platicard, roughly cut and painted grey and weathered with washes and drybrushing.

Hope that helps

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/04/2022 at 22:18, Tom F said:

Thanks again everyone for the positive feedback, 

Had a nice surprise when I came home from work, the painted Modelu figures by @Dan Evason

'No. 2's driver eases the regulator as they begin the climb beyond Arlesdale...'

DSC04987-4.jpg

Posting photos of the real thing again Tom! ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...