'Ballamoddey' - 1937 on the Mid Sodor Railway

Tom F

If its any consolation I don't think anyone is feeling 100% with the current situation in Europe, so in that respect you are not alone. It's nagging at the back of my mind all the time so I'm not happy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

That's for all the supportive posts. They have genuinely helped.

40 minutes ago, steve45 said:

If its any consolation I don't think anyone is feeling 100% with the current situation in Europe, so in that respect you are not alone. It's nagging at the back of my mind all the time so I'm not happy.

I realise that I and most of us are very lucky to not be in the situation that the Ukrainian people are currently facing, but as you say it is there at the back of my mind feeding negativity. 

I thought I'd follow the suggestions made by a couple of people to make a list, which I have found has helped to outline what projects I have on the 'todo' list.

image.png.770ba22d8e42767496c8189412a979d7.png

My biggest issue....is myself. I worry and lack confidence a great deal of the time on modelling projects. The Falcon's progress has kept stalling, which is silly as I've already built one. The worry I think is that it will not turn out as good as the previous one, so I keep avoiding it.

Well, I'm about to bring the kit downstairs and make a start....however little the progress, I need to make some.

Edited by Tom F
  • Friendly/supportive 16

Tom, Your modelling is excellent, one of the best on this forum, so don't worry. If it doesn't work first time then re-do it, as the saying goes, practice makes perfect. The quality of your work is something that most of us here can only aspire to...........

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

Hi Tom. 
That list is a great start! Don’t worry too much if the list doesn’t completely go to plan. That is why pencils have rubbers on the top of them. If you find yourself getting bogged down with No3 Falcon then move it down the list and have a look at what’s next. 
I fully agree with @steve45 your modelling is truly inspirational and amongst the best on this forum. Anyone who has never made a mistake, has never made anything. 
I too find the situation in Ukraine worrying and have family members in the armed forces. I was talking to a colleague based in Slovakia this morning about the number of refugees coming over the border. Frightening!!
Sometimes having a hobby like ours is a good way to find solace and shut out want is going on in the outside world for a while.

Take care. 
Bill. 

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I think we all have times when we wish everything was done, Tom.

Just keep plugging away bit by bit and it will all come together in the end.

You've made good progress so far.

I also have lots to to on my new project and i must admit I'm worried about messing it up.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, RodneyS said:

Excellent job on the cab of No 3.

You are making good progress.

Rodney

Thanks Rodney. I've now soldered the roof to the rear piece, I think it's looking about right. Next step will be adding the front cab piece. 

Excellent etches, it's two years since I built your first one. That one I'd used superglue with a touch of soldering. This one I'm trying to do more with solder.

• Like 1

Last one from me tonight.

I have now soldered the roof frame of the cab to the rear of No. 3's cab which has sturdied the whole thing up nicely. The plan this evening is to take a break from modelling and read up on some more WHR goods workings.

'Heading home...'

274862657_10158987488447984_7855013537711800929_n.jpeg.ada4b142908c38f60ee7fb31c12ba685.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Tom F said:

Thanks all, really appreciated :) 

Well, I stuck to my target and made a start on forming up No. 3's cab. This I'd be dreading, which in turn was actually quite enjoyable. The forming up of the sides was straight forward using my hold 'n' fold jig, before soldering the tabs of the rear cab extension in place.

I feel I can happily move on with progress now that the main cab has its shape. 

That's great Tom, really pleased for you.

One thing I have found in dealing with depression is that you create your own mental barriers against tasks which appear insurmountable, but if you force yourself to do it you often find it wasn't a problem at all. Dealing with depression is mostly about conquering yourself, and realising this is a big help.

All the best,

Al.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Just a quick note to say that I've been following progress on your Mid Sodor projects both here and elsewhere for a while and have found (and continue to find) it hugely inspirational - so much so I've bought myself a 009 Baldwin and a couple of wagon kits!

I find railway modelling and mental health is a delicate balance; there are times when modelling really helps, other times when a looming deadline or the pressure of something going wrong upsets that balance.  My own approach is to avoid deadlines and have a variety of different projects on the go at any time.  That way I can pick up whichever I feel in the mood for rather than having to do what's next on the list.  This approach does mean that things can take ages to complete, but I'm OK with that, I generally enjoy the making more than the end result anyway.  As with many things in life, there is no right or wrong, just do what works for you.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I think this really shows how the hobby differs for everyone that little bit. Certain aspects I like doing, but ultimately it's the finished aspect I enjoy, however I do like when each piece starts to come together.

The downside is that once completed, my mind starts wandering to the next project.

I often thing I'm happiest when I'm just sat pipe dreaming ideas. That's a bit sad really.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tom F said:

The downside is that once completed, my mind starts wandering to the next project.

You're ahead of me there, my mind's about two or three projects in front... 

2 hours ago, Tom F said:

I often think I'm happiest when I'm just sat pipe dreaming ideas. That's a bit sad really.

Join the club... :jester:

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Tom F said:

Cab construction has come to a halt as the half etched pieces on the cab front failed on forming. I did attempt to solder the bits back together, but another piece broke away and the results were not up to the standard I'd have liked.

275302935_10158989708602984_9117076940359156809_n.jpeg.317a34566f7b90807e37c887e1a1b679.jpeg

Thankfully help is at hand with a spare etch, so work will resume when the parts arrive.

To take my mind off things, myself and the border collie have been for a hike in the Lake District today. Good for the soul!

274861201_10158990414852984_505193193662478809_n.jpeg

274746041_10158990414937984_6895793268427037915_n.jpeg

274747136_10158990414817984_1233753258348174748_n.jpeg

That looks gorgeous.

Adrian

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, figworthy said:

That looks gorgeous.

Adrian

Thanks Adrian

It was a great day to be out. Planning next weeks hike.

In the meantime, new etches should be here later this week for work to continue on No. 3.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1