'Ballamoddey' - 1937 on the Mid Sodor Railway

Tom F

3 hours ago, LMCFTW The Gunzel said:

This photo is believed to of been the last taken of Mid Sodor Railway No.2 ‘Stanley’ before permanent withdrawal and conversion to a pumping engine at Arlesdale engine sheds then relocated to Cros-Ny-Curn Slate Mine in 1938.

"Ding ding!"

Ah alas he was never based at Cros-ny-Cuirn as there are no mines there, slate or other type. Cas-ny-Hawin was where he ended up but wasn't slate.

I see why you might also think of the year 1938 but I know that Tom has broadened the timeline for Ballamoddey over quite a number of years given him so much scope with regards locomotives and rolling stock to use. Stanley would have been used a good few years by 1938 as the steam supply for the pumping engine at the mine.
I think it was a slip of the pen by Rev. Awdry when he describes him as a pumping engine behind the shed! More likely used to supply steam to operate the various machines inside the workshop.

Edited by BritishGypsum4
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

A little bit of an update.

The replacement etches have arrived, and we now have a complete cab for No. 3! I'm really pleased with how things are looking. I was particularly careful on making up the folds on the cab front.

275279950_10158997917147984_1980308882620640843_n.jpeg.d81dddc6138f3320c4549ee5c82942ae.jpeg

Tomorrow @BritishGypsum4 is heading over to resume electrical work. With a replacement point and switches at the ready, we hope to get the job done this time. There will be a live stream in the Facebook group hopefully around 16.00-17.00 tomorrow.

Regarding the layout, I had originally bought a couple of buildings off ebay (very nice scratch builds). However it had niggled me that they were fairly generic, and appear to be sold online fairly regularly. Ballamoddey I have always desired to feel different, and unique (a vibe I had tried to depict with Scaca as well). I have therefore decided to sell the buildings (which I'll be selling through the group) and replacements will me made by the super talented Dan Evason of Tunnel Lane Model Railways. I'm currently researching building designs and stone work. Sunday I'm planning a hike in an area where I should find some inspiration on the type of stone work you would find on this part of the Mid Sodor.

275554353_10158997925902984_5717844239070984808_n.jpeg.420c064e02c0985799bf3e11857a99c4.jpeg

A lot to feel positive about I think!

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Went through Ravenglass on Saturday p.m. on the train seen in the following picture.

P1160773.jpg.ebf2b16f688a91d282a1ab215fd86959.jpg

A very pleasent steam-hauled ride south along the Cumrian coast to Carnforth - behind a loco that looks similar to "Henry" in outline. No sign of "Rex", "Mike" or "Bert" as we passed through Ravenglass!

Looks like you had a good day out yesterday. I like your pictures.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Lovely old building, someone make a model of it as is before it gets the des res treatment. :D

The stone work is proving a big inspiration for the MSR. The Mid Sodor, particular the lower sections is very much the Eskdale Valley. Awdry is clear that slate isn't quarried (instead granite and lead) the style of stone will play a large part in the building styles on Ballamoddey.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

Quite a big arrival came today.

My bespoke Mid Sodor Railway goods stock transfers from Endon Valley Custom Decals.

Absolutely superb quality and exactly to the specifications I requested. Looking forward to building up the goods fleet for Ballamoddey.

276305017_10159008268472984_2017782262170124007_n.jpeg

276293735_10159008268492984_2939972254417914694_n.jpeg

276081647_10159008268512984_8261107507765884432_n.jpeg

• Like 15

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Since the sites been back up I'd felt something was missing. Realised it's the updates to your threads @Tom F.

I hope you'll be able to post again soon. Your modelling is very inspirational.

• Agree 9

23 hours ago, SR71 said:

Since the sites been back up I'd felt something was missing. Realised it's the updates to your threads @Tom F.

I hope you'll be able to post again soon. Your modelling is very inspirational.

Thanks for the kind comments SR71

I'm still here, but have generally been posting more in my Facebook group and on Narrow Gauge Railways Modelling Forum since RMweb went down.

I've lost some of my enthusiasm to post since  all the photos have gone. Photography is one of my main enjoyments of the hobby, and to see all of them have gone from the thread was a little soul destroying. I appreciate this was no fault of Andy or BRM, and I feel for them in what must have been a very difficult time.

I'm just deciding the best cause of action going forward.

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

I can understand that. I've not decided what to do with my threads yet either. Even if you decide to scrap these threads and start a general one to post old/new photos, that's a greatest hits I'm not going to tire of.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tom F said:

I'm still here, but have generally been posting more in my Facebook group and on Narrow Gauge Railways Modelling Forum since RMweb went down.

I've lost some of my enthusiasm to post since  all the photos have gone. Photography is one of my main enjoyments of the hobby, and to see all of them have gone from the thread was a little soul destroying. I appreciate this was no fault of Andy or BRM, and I feel for them in what must have been a very difficult time.

Not sure going forward depends on what gets restored. But currently sticking to Western Thunder where I dual posted most of my threads anyway. Need to have a dig in the NGF don’t get on there much.

Also a big fan of your FB group so appreciate your posts and live streams there. Ballamoddey coming along nicely.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Tom F said:

What a pity,  I don't do faceache, so I will have to miss out on your outstanding modelling. One or two of your pictures were very real.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Tom F said:

... I'm still here, but have generally been posting more in my Facebook group and on Narrow Gauge Railways Modelling Forum since RMweb went down.

I appreciate it's a [nuisance] to reload photos but if I can add my voice to those saying we liked them - a lot - and have a high opinion both of the modelling and the photography. Any you are able to upload again would be most welcome. 

6 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

What a pity,  I don't do faceache ... 

Me neither. 

• Agree 1