• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, billywhizz said:

Another stunning photo Tom. 
Do you exhibit you layouts?

Regards, 

Bill. 

Thanks for the kind comments Bill.

I had originally planned to exhibit, but ultimately I wasn’t happy leaving my border collie at home. 

I must admit I don’t enjoy shows like I use to and get far more enjoyment having operating sessions with friends coming round. I also really enjoy the photographic side of it too.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

Very nice Tom. 
You really are not helping me trying to resist starting a small 009 project!!

I think the Bachmann Drewry shunters and RNAD wagons will finally tip me over the edge. 
Great work, keep the progress coming. Looking forward to seeing the latest batch of wagons finished and photographed on the layout!

Cheers. 
Bill. 

• Like 1

I'm moving onto some Mercian kits I have to build (about depleted the plastic kit range). I have a nice Fes Van and 1 plank open to build. I've soldered before (happily make up small masokit couplings and lamp irons), however I  get a bit twitchy when it comes to kits.

The Mercian kit looks to be a fold up design (I have a small 'hold n fold' jig.  

Could anyone share some tips and advice for soldering up etched brass wagon kits?

Many thanks

• Like 1

Well.....we didn't even get to the soldering stage!

I began carefully folding the underframe underneath the van, which went ok. Then came to folder it up into a box.

273449507_336836128365125_7775369775376325867_n.jpeg.ec95ed68bee2cfb73787bea97f07aa2d.jpeg

The lower edges have begun to warps as they but up against each other.

I've no intention to take it any further, and I'm going to have a look if anyone does a 3D print of the Fes van. 

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

That's a shame Tom. I don't have much expertise building etched brass kits, but on those that I have built I've sometimes found it necessary to deepen the fold lines slightly by scoring them (use a Scrawker tool for this). A little desk mounted vice can also be useful when combined with a decent steel ruler or two for folding parts.

Looking at the prototype, I wonder if the van would make for an easy scratchbuild project out of plastic sheet? You could probably use the underframe and strapping parts from the etched kit. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

You might also find it easier to get an accurate bend if the jaws of your folding device have very precise edges (corners!) and the metal is tightly gripped as it is folded.

The problem which you have there is the material peeling out of the clamp / folder as pressure is applied to the piece being bent over. 

With practice this can be useful for forming rounded corners on tanks etc.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks all for the advice.

It is however beyond what I find 'enjoyment' in a hobby. I know when my hobby starts to get me down, so does my mental health. @BritishGypsum4is going to have a look at it when he is over on Saturday to finish the wiring on Ballamoddey.

In the meantime, a friend is looking into 3D printing me some Fes van bodies for Dundas chassis. Every cloud.... :) 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Nothing much to report as of late.

I have made up a batch of Modelu Loco lamps for the MSR fleet. These are based on the Cambrian loco lamp, I fancied something of a pre grouping vibe.

image.png.7562308eede1cbfc69075102c54a016d.png

A couple of locomotives have arrived this week, which will form the basis of a couple of Mid Sodor locomotives. Once the name plates have arrived and they are all weathered up I'll reveal all. :)

• Like 13

Hi Tom. 
I know exactly how you feel. When I start to feel overwhelmed with a project. Whether working on a layout or stock projects etc (I am terrible for having too many things on the go at once) 

Making a list of current projects (or tasks that need completed on a layout build) Then prioritising those tasks and not moving onto the next task down on the list until the current task is finished. 
I often find this helps focus getting the modelling motivation back and feel like I’m making progress. 
Hope you feel better soon. 
Regards,

Bill. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

You said that you were not looking forward to the wiring so perhaps you will feel happier when that is done.

Once the scenery is started and you lose all the white I'm sure it will begin to look as you have imagined it.

Rodney

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

I do the same thing as Bill, I write a list of say, a dozen related jobs and work through them, in just about everything I do.

It's especially useful to do that when you are slogging through one of the jobs that you don't enjoy or don't feel so confident about. It gives you a goal, a reward almost to get the less appealing job finished in one go.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1