Hornby 31 what the????

russ p

• RMweb Gold

Slowly fitting decoders to my fleet, this 31 has completely fictional lighting. It bad enough that companies make green diesels that can only show two red lights but this one swaps the two reds for two whites !!!

If it was a cheap loco I could forgive but it's not. The only option is to put tape over the LEDs

I wish either Hornby would retool the 31 so it has raised bodyside banding or someone else makes a better one .

I'm sure with the amount of variations there has been over the years it would be a good seller 

20211227_183219.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Class 31 is the unloved model by the model companies.

its the only dedicated class of Lima locos I still actively maintain… 20 odd of them as I just havent found the liveries / varieties to swap them out… cant even get a headcode box light fitted blue one.. the most basic variety there is.

Yet 31’s have a ton of liveries, and quite a following, especially in their latter years.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4

I’ve got three .

the worst issue is one is unusable as one of the axles is so sloppy in their crappy axle box pick up system it shorts all the points , I’ll have to get something done about it.

The other two are good runners and look fine 

• Like 1

Annoying, the spurious white lights particularly daft, but let's not forget that not a single manufacturer (not even Bachmann with their £300+ super deluxe Class 47 or SLW with their 24) will let you display a single red light in the rear for a light engine movement. Apparently they worry that folk will think something's not right :blink:

• RMweb Gold
Just now, andyman7 said:

Annoying, the spurious white lights particularly daft, but let's not forget that not a single manufacturer (not even Bachmann with their £300+ super deluxe Class 47 or SLW with their 24) will let you display a single red light in the rear for a light engine movement. Apparently they worry that folk will think something's not right :blink:

That really grinds on me , as before 1982 two red lights were only carried on the royal train even HSTs and APTs ran with one 

• Agree 1

I don't think the single tail light option really needs a DCC function or switch allocating to it. One of the LEDs can be easily removed or covered over if a single tail light is desired. Given that most layouts are set in a particular era, I can't imagine many people needing to switch between single and dual tail lights while the model is running.

23 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

The Bachmann class 85 got it right there. ;)

Unfortunately my local model shop had one or two people try and return them on the grounds that the lights weren't working 'properly', so there is some truth to that concern. I just wield the electrical tape to blank off the offending LEDs. I think having red dot lazers shining is more of a detraction personally, so a coating of Railmatch LMS Crimson to dull the remaining red light at each end is just as important.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Pillar said:

I don't think the single tail light option really needs a DCC function or switch allocating to it. One of the LEDs can be easily removed or covered over if a single tail light is desired. Given that most layouts are set in a particular era, I can't imagine many people needing to switch between single and dual tail lights while the model is running.

I normally cover an LED with tape , but this stupid 31 will need both covering so no tail lights either. 

I'll be honest I'm not that bothered about working lights I only put them on for some pictures under the station roof 

16 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

My blue 31 has like, laser beam, lights…..I’m sure they were dull little bulbs in the 70s..

Assuming they were even switched on/cleaned/worked. Lamp on bracket would be a nice one to model, but a bit redundant when you change direction or couple up...

All of my banger blues get the red lights blanked and painted, one coat on the LED, another coat on the inside of the lens. This rat is still a bit bright but at least its no longer a danger to aircraft!:locomotive:

874330756_HeljanRat.jpg.254056c1dbf4d5ff84a775a44775a2fc.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, russ p said:

I normally cover an LED with tape , but this stupid 31 will need both covering so no tail lights either. 

I'll be honest I'm not that bothered about working lights I only put them on for some pictures under the station roof 

If they haven't changed the design since I bought my 3 ( 2 x D5640 and 1 x D5511) you can isolate the tail lamps with bits of sellotape over the contacts under the driver's desk.

Otherwise nearly every diesel loco I've bought I've had to put a small piece of black insulating tape over the red LEDs.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I’ve got three .

the worst issue is one is unusable as one of the axles is so sloppy in their crappy axle box pick up system it shorts all the points , I’ll have to get something done about it.

The other two are good runners and look fine 

I am yet to try this...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Zunnan said:

Assuming they were even switched on/cleaned/worked. Lamp on bracket would be a nice one to model, but a bit redundant when you change direction or couple up...

All of my banger blues get the red lights blanked and painted, one coat on the LED, another coat on the inside of the lens. This rat is still a bit bright but at least its no longer a danger to aircraft!:locomotive:

874330756_HeljanRat.jpg.254056c1dbf4d5ff84a775a44775a2fc.jpg

Errr…one of the red lamps isn’t working :jester:

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, Zunnan said:

The Bachmann class 85 got it right there. ;)

Unfortunately my local model shop had one or two people try and return them on the grounds that the lights weren't working 'properly', so there is some truth to that concern. I just wield the electrical tape to blank off the offending LEDs. I think having red dot lazers shining is more of a detraction personally, so a coating of Railmatch LMS Crimson to dull the remaining red light at each end is just as important.

A a prominent label or message in the pack stating 'this model only has a single tail light working as per prototype operation' would help!

• Like 3

On 27/12/2021 at 19:30, russ p said:

Slowly fitting decoders to my fleet, this 31 has completely fictional lighting. It bad enough that companies make green diesels that can only show two red lights but this one swaps the two reds for two whites !!!

If it was a cheap loco I could forgive but it's not. The only option is to put tape over the LEDs

I wish either Hornby would retool the 31 so it has raised bodyside banding or someone else makes a better one .

I'm sure with the amount of variations there has been over the years it would be a good seller 

20211227_183219.jpg

Been that way since the BARS class 31 was released. It was quite easy to remove the light box from behind the front and take off the offending white LED. Put back in place and sorted... 

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

Been that way since the BARS class 31 was released. It was quite easy to remove the light box from behind the front and take off the offending white LED. Put back in place and sorted... 

Thanks David,  are these the newer ones?  I think it maybe a bicolour LED

10 minutes ago, russ p said:

Thanks David,  are these the newer ones?  I think it maybe a bicolour LED

Not sure if honest, I am working off the top of my head for a conversion I did a few years ago now. Pretty sure that Hornby added an extra white LED so I just took that off as it was not needed and let the red one then show through. 

• Informative/Useful 1