Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Blue Peter Awards - show us your ingenuity

CameronL

• RMweb Premium

Here you go.  Regrettably everything has now been packed and crated for our move to Georgia.  The line is no more!

8ED74F7B-6D84-4ABD-BC12-5C6BCCC49688.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 months later...

Another Gold award for a generally Blue-Petery attitude to modelling and a nostalgia trip. This one is to chuffinghell for his Warren Branch. The spirit of "here's one I prepared earlier" is alive and well. Expect to see the the Tracy Island Light Railway at an exhibition near you soon.

Edited by CameronL
Typo

• RMweb Gold

Many years ago I was given a Hornby Dublo 3 rail English Electric Type 1 which I wanted to convert to 2 rail and needed some insulating axles. My mum's knitting needles fitted the bill, and as a trainee at Horwich Training School I turned the ends down to make an interference fit on the existing wheels, made some pickups from some wire that I found, and away it went. 

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, 96701 said:

Many years ago I was given a Hornby Dublo 3 rail English Electric Type 1 which I wanted to convert to 2 rail and needed some insulating axles. My mum's knitting needles fitted the bill, and as a trainee at Horwich Training School I turned the ends down to make an interference fit on the existing wheels, made some pickups from some wire that I found, and away it went. 

Definitely worth a badge.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I used various bits in loco builds and used to save those tops off mini superglue bottles as they made good warehouse roof details. 
Here’s the top off a shampoo bottle pretending to be a submarine with the pole off a Ratio lamp as the periscope I did when I built Stonemere. 

Tarrant Valley Railway - 009

©️ fairlightworks on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/3HpEq7

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 3

11 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

I used various bits in loco builds and used to save those tops off mini superglue bottles as they made good warehouse roof details. 
Here’s the top off a shampoo bottle pretending to be a submarine with the pole off a Ratio lamp as the periscope I did when I built Stonemere. 

Tarrant Valley Railway - 009

©️ fairlightworks on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/3HpEq7

Serial re-users get a gold badge! Love it. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Ready for Stafford this weekend, this HO scale copy of the Hershey's homemade device to transfer the overhead power along the train using the existing redundant trolley poles. The white roofed car is the only one which is powered and is usually in the centre of the Train, so in theory could use it's decoder output through the poles to headlights on the unpowered cars. 

PXL_20230914_094529156.jpg.1f5743441c1f5c4e6e560e835a17cf22.jpg

PXL_20230914_094543476.jpg.3a8bd9e6f88d5b799e0271dea27f4b07.jpg

https://youtu.be/1xqO72WS8eQ?si=VCgJUmKZUFUUjy2e

Edited by 298
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Evening all

Stunning work above, and much deserving of Blue Peter Badges of all grades, I hope.  I still have the plans for the mid-'80s Blue Peter Layout somewhere...

I found this thread whilst looking for "Cardboard Buildings and Kits" and am very impressed by the scratchbuilds and bashing.  Am particularly impressed by mixed use of lolly-sticks and tea-stirrers: Do they make I-girders as well as they should?

BUT: - Can anyone help with sourcing Bilteezi prints?  Their Weeblysite is pretty, but no links seem to work.  They promote similar products and producers such as Scalescenes, but no links actually work when I hover/click.

For those who need LU/Holden buildings:  I bought several prints from Kingsway during the Bad Times, but haven't actually built them yet, so can't comment on construction.

regards

cs

• Like 2