Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2022

didcot

It's understandable but disappointing how much the Hamilton v FIA story is dominating the news, there's only so many times they can tell the same headline. I was hoping for a lot more content from a technical perspective since the new cars are so radical, but I guess until the new cars actually launch the Hamilton story sells more column inches / online advertising for the press.

I hope no one minds me mentioning, I know last year a few people weren't keen when the conversation strayed to other forms of Motorsport so I've started a thread here for 2022 non F1 discussion.

Everything welcome, WRC action starts tomorrow.

Jo

• Like 5

I doubt we'll get anything technical until the cars launch.

One thing I have wondered, having watched the way the WRC launched its new era of cars last weekend. I wonder why F1 didn't try a 'glitzy and glamorous' launch event for all the teams to unveil their cars.

I mean, hold it at Barcelona just before pre-season testing when the teams are all there already.

Edited by LNERandBR
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

On 19/01/2022 at 00:36, Andrew P said:

McLaren boss says no sprint events in 2022 a possibility.

F1 has shown the teams data that proves the sprint events increased audience figures and sponsorship income.

Which is obviously what matters - not, for example, having a homogeneous, easy to understand race series that doesn't require "explainer" pieces in the media every time a new wrinkle is introduced in order to try to snare the passing interest of the terminally attention-deficient.

F1 was originally created as the premier sprint* formula, way back in the mists of time.  Modern tyre rules make it implicitly a one-driver endurance formula - and then they bolt on separate, shorter "sprint" races to try to get round the fact that a good proportion of the potential audience have very little interest in pit stop strategies etc - they just want to watch cars being driven competitively and as fast as possible.  But even that doesn't really work, because most competitors seem to prefer simply to preserve their grid position for the main race, rather than risk it by indulging in any genuine racing. So the only real benefit of the sprint race is that it's quite short...

<Wanders off grumbling under his breath to go and shout at clouds.>

* i.e. race from flag to flag without stopping, to the extent that that is practically possible within the vagaries of a high-speed motor race - i.e. allowing for problems arising with the machinery.  As opposed to endurance racing in which in-race pit stops were always part of the game.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, LNERandBR said:

I doubt we'll get anything technical until the cars launch.

One thing I have wondered, having watched the way the WRC launched its new era of cars last weekend. I wonder why F1 didn't try a 'glitzy and glamorous' launch event for all the teams to unveil their cars.

I mean, hold it at Barcelona just before pre-season testing when the teams are all there already.

Each team having their own launch (on their own day) gives their sponsors a day where their logo is on the main news of the day. Smaller sponsors on smaller teams would get lost in the noise, and that would devalue their contribution.

Of course the same applies to the WRC too, but the format is much lower profile and by having it all together they staff a chance of getting some relatively mainstream coverage, which the "Hyundai's new WRC car" story wouldn't get on its own.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Zomboid said:

Of course the same applies to the WRC too, but the format is much lower profile and by having it all together they staff a chance of getting some relatively mainstream coverage, which the "Hyundai's new WRC car" story wouldn't get on its own.

Plus there are only 3 major players so quite easy to organise , imagine

trying to get 10 F1 teams to agree on a launch date .

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Sidecar Racer said:

imagine

trying to get 10 F1 teams to agree on a launch date .

Herding cats comes to mind, and if actually agreed, someone would always leak theirs the previous day. (Mr Horner, I'm looking at YOU!)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

Hyundai showed pics of the i20 before the season launch in Austria. Not heard of that causing issues. I think a similar event for F1 in Barcelona on the eve of testing would make sense in this era of cost cutting.

Jo

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I have no interest whatever in car launches, liveries or indeed anything else promo. The only thing that matters is how they perform. Until they hit the track in anger, it's all puff and boring.

Your right of course, The Merc Livery is not that great, in fact pretty boring if I'm honest, but it does perform quite well, especially with a certain Mr H at the wheel.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

20 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Not really an update , more a positive PR spin.

Autosport headlined it as Mercedes "bullish" on F1 engine reliability progress, says McLaren which seems more accurate.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

No need to bother, It'll be a farcical parade in the wet behind the safety car to award half points. 

Hang on that was 2021.

• Funny 3