RMweb

Formula 1 2022

didcot

12 minutes ago, Obi-Jiff Kenobi said:

I bet it'll be some time before the FIA actually remove the Russian GP from the calendar. Despite ruling over such a fast-paced sport, their response is often glacially slow, especially to world events. Remember March 2020, when the whole circus rocked up in Oz for the opening race, despite most countries going into lockdown of some sort?

I remember it well.

Australia locked themselves down very tightly very quickly, which is why they had very few cases for the first year. If F1 had arrived after this, they would have had issues with quarantine.

But they didn't because they got there first.

Only then did many people start complaining about various governments reacting too slowly.

But I take your point about F1 usually putting money ahead of principles.

Edited by Pete the Elaner
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Sebastian Vettel says the Russian Grand Prix should be cancelled - and he will not be there if the race goes ahead.

Russian forces invaded Ukraine on Thursday morning on the orders of Russian President Vladimir Putin, who is closely associated with his country's F1 race.

Four-time champion Vettel said: "I should not go, I will not go. We should not race in the country.

"I am sorry for the innocent people who are being killed for stupid reasons."

Vettel said Russia had "a very strange and mad leadership".

He added that he was "shocked" by events in Ukraine, and that while "we will see [what happens] going forward, my decision [on whether to race in Russia] is already made".

Reigning champion Max Verstappen added: "When a country is at war, it is not right to race there."

• Like 5

To quote Keke Rosberg (the finest moustache to race in F1): "The fact is that we F1 drivers are like (ladies of negotiable virtue). If the money is right we'll turn up anywhere to do our stuff."

Drivers who consider themselves in contention for the championship will race, wherever the race is held. That doesn't say much for Vettel's opinion of the newest Aston Martin!

Edited by Obi-Jiff Kenobi
Actual quoted word removed by system, substituted with euphemism!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

23 hours ago, Zomboid said:

I doubt jet engines would actually be much help on an F1 car.

Certainly didn't work very well for Lotus in 1971: https://www.racefans.net/2007/03/08/banned-gas-turbine-engines/

The turbine car had many shortcomings. Lag in power delivery was massive – although Pratt & Whitney’s technicians managed to halve the delay using lighter components it was still up to three seconds.

The phenomenon also occurred in reverse – when a driver backed off the throttle the engine still delivered maximum power*, meaning it had to be manhandled to a halt (it had no gearbox) using enormous brakes that wore out quickly.

The article doesn't mention precessionary forces as one of the downsides.  Given that it says that the gas turbine engine was lighter than a normal F1 power plant of the time, maybe the mass wasn't there to cause much of a problem?  The Pratt & Whitney PT6 of which a variant was used in the Lotus 56 and 56B was a small turboprop aero engine which Wiki says weighs about 270lb (which I think is for the whole engine including the gearbox which provides the shaft output) vs ~370lb for a Cosworth DFV (cf up to 555lb for the BRM H16!)  Since this is RMWeb I should add that a variant of the engine de-rated to 300bhp was used in the UAC TurboTrain.

* Er, yeah, been there, done that once in the university engineering lab.  Long story, but we were within seconds of departing the rather 'compact' gas turbine lab via the emergency exit before the thing finally started to spool down and the exhaust temperature began heading back towards "no it's not going to set the whole place on fire" levels.  Luckily the lab supervisor never found out as I doubt he'd have let us across his threshold again if he had...

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

42 minutes ago, ejstubbs said:

Certainly didn't work very well for Lotus in 1971: https://www.racefans.net/2007/03/08/banned-gas-turbine-engines/

The article doesn't mention precessionary forces as one of the downsides.  Given that it says that the gas turbine engine was lighter than a normal F1 power plant of the time, maybe the mass wasn't there to cause much of a problem?  The Pratt & Whitney PT6 of which a variant was used in the Lotus 56 and 56B was a small turboprop aero engine which Wiki says weighs about 270lb (which I think is for the whole engine including the gearbox which provides the shaft output) vs ~370lb for a Cosworth DFV (cf up to 555lb for the BRM H16!)  Since this is RMWeb I should add that a variant of the engine de-rated to 300bhp was used in the UAC TurboTrain.

* Er, yeah, been there, done that once in the university engineering lab.  Long story, but we were within seconds of departing the rather 'compact' gas turbine lab via the emergency exit before the thing finally started to spool down and the exhaust temperature began heading back towards "no it's not going to set the whole place on fire" levels.  Luckily the lab supervisor never found out as I doubt he'd have let us across his threshold again if he had...

Putting Helicopter engines into cars does not have a particular successful history.

1024px-1948_Tucker_Torpedo_8511815871.jp

David_Walker_1971_Lotus_56_B_Pratt_Whitn

• Like 2

The shortcomings were less apparent in the original version, designed for and used in the 1968 Indy 500. Sustained high speed running with little to no braking except for regular fuel stops, low frontal area, clean doorstop shape, light weight, four-wheel drive, and very capable of winning but for failure of a small component. That version also had the best livery, STP fluorescent orange, with dayglo yellow accents - quite striking! Indy changed the rules for the next year, they thought a grid full of wingless fighter planes whistling round the track might have less appeal for car-mad fans than noisy piston engines.

• Like 3

Keeping it within the rules

Chris Medland

F1 journalist in Barcelona

Formula 1's intention with the 2022 regulations was to come up with a set of rules that made for better racing - by closing up the field, and making overtaking easier.

Managing director Ross Brawn said last week that F1 would seek to close any avenues opened up by teams in the quest for performance that went against the philosophy of the rules. And technical director Pat Symonds is in Barcelona looking at the solutions the teams have come up with to try to understand what impact they might have.

So far, Symonds says he isn't surprised or worried by any direction a team has taken, noting the Red Bull as the most aggressive but still a development concept F1 thought some teams might follow.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

17:32

The final times

And here's how the day panned out on the timesheets...

1. Charles Leclerc (Ferrari) 1:19.689 – 79 laps

2. Pierre Gasly (Alpha Tauri) 1:19.918 – 147 laps

3. Daniel Ricciardo (McLaren) 1:20.288 – 126 laps

4. George Russell (Mercedes) 1:20.537 - 66 laps

5. Carlos Sainz (Ferrari) 1:20.546 – 71 laps

6. Sebastian Vettel (Aston Martin) 1:20.784 - 74 laps

7. Sergio Perez (Red Bull) – 1.21.430 – 78 laps

8. Nikita Mazepin (Haas) 1:21.512 – 42 laps

9. Alexander Albon (Williams) 1:21.531 – 47 laps

10. Guanyu Zhou (Alfa Romeo) 1:21.885 - 71 laps

11. Nicholas Latifi (Williams) 1:21.894 – 61 laps

12. Lance Stroll (Aston Martin) 1:21.920 – 55 laps

13. Mick Schumacher (Haas) 1:21.949 – 66 laps

14. Esteban Ocon (Alpine) 1:22.164 – 125 laps

15. Valtteri Bottas (Alfa Romeo) 1:22.288 – 21 laps

16. Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) 1:22.562 – 40 laps

Last year's Mercedes pairing - Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas - who took their team to the constructors' title, are the slowest two, while Charles Leclerc tops the times.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Without the Russian funding, can Gene Haas afford to pay his way?

And will Mazepin, already at the bottom of the drivers' popularity league table, find life becomes even more uncomfortable at races? 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

And will Mazepin, already at the bottom of the drivers' popularity league table, find life becomes even more uncomfortable at races? 

He’s not representing the State though so unless his personal statements support it or his direct funding does it shouldn’t be an issue just for being Russian. 
I guess it will depend how tied in his family funding is to the State. 

• Agree 5

Mazepin hasn't come across as terribly likeable yet (though was he ever going to get good press?), but he's an individual in his own right and shouldn't be judged by the actions of his parents or those they associate with.

He should be judged by his own words and actions. And if I were him, I'd be saying as little as possible for now and just driving the car.

• Agree 6