The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2022

didcot

What a complete mess F1 is becoming with the vast array of penalties. Post qualifying it was clear the drivers had no idea where they actually on the grid. Max qualified 2nd yet starts 4th despite a 5 place grid penalty and de Vries finds himself in 8th on his debut! Nearly half the starters have a penalty, may as well just draw the grid out of a hat.

• Agree 4
  • Funny 1

57 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

This is how Pitpass sees it, and the BBC says much the same thing.

https://www.pitpass.com/73602/Italian-GP-Starting-Grid

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/latest

Shows how complicated it is. Sky originally posted that Max was 4th but have now revised it to 7th. I guess we'll just have to wait and see who parks where when they line up 🙂

• Agree 1

It's not just F1 being ruined by rules.

I'm not sure of alternatives but the F3 season just ended in a farce. An accident 5 laps from the end brought out the red flag so they all filed into the pit lane. Martins was in 3rd so after the restart he would need to maintain it to be champion but then it was announced he had a 5 second penalty for track limits so he would have to go for it at the restart but it didn't look good. The race was then declared over so no restart so it looked like Martins was in trouble as the result would go back to the end of the previous lap before the red flag. At this point more penalties were announced and were being given out like they were going out of fashion.

It took over 25 minutes of the drivers standing around twiddling their thumbs before the stewards managed to finalise the finish order after all the penalties.

Martins was champion but what a chaotic way to end the season.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

"Bearman attempted a pass for the lead on lap 16 but Maloney defended, with Bearman being forced to take the shortcut through the chicane and stay behind. Shortly after, a Safety Car was called after Kush Maini and Brad Benavides crashed out of the second Lesmo, both cars ending up on the grass and in the wall on the inside.

There was a red flag called with five laps to go, in order to clear Maini and Benavides’ cars. During the red flag, Martins was issued a five-second time penalty for four track limits violations, putting his championship seemingly under threat for the final four laps.

However, shortly afterwards, the race director announced that the race would not be resumed. Confusion reigned in the pit lane as neither Martins, his team or the other drivers were aware how the championship would be decided.

Eventually, Johnny Edgar and William Alatalo also received five-second time penalties for track limit violations. Alatalo had been initially promoted to third by Martins’ penalty, his own penalty subsequently putting Jak Crawford on the podium and Martins back to fourth.

Maloney won the race, Bearman second, Crawford third and Martins fourth. Consequently, Martins takes the title with a lead of five points over Maloney, seven from Bearman."

https://www.racefans.net/2022/09/11/martins-controversially-crowned-f3-champion-under-red-flag-as-maloney-wins-final-race/

At least the final result was right...

• Like 1

Hey ho...

Not terribly sure I'm interested in todays race.  I'll keep an eye on the BBC web stream and record the highlights just in case any dramatic incidents occur, but like the last race, that might be deleted unwatched.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Hey ho...

Not terribly sure I'm interested in todays race.  I'll keep an eye on the BBC web stream and record the highlights just in case any dramatic incidents occur, but like the last race, that might be deleted unwatched.

Cheers

Darius

• Funny 2

34 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Hey ho...

If F1 isn't interesting you then there are plenty of other motorsports out there that could. Leave us to natter about F1 in peace 😆

Back on topic, I will agree that the Power Unit rules aren't working as intended. They are supposed to increase the reliability of the cars but clearly the push for more pace over longevity is too great. If every car in the field has to take additional parts at some point then they should increase the number of  allowed parts in a season. 

Then, if the teams are still breaking that rule then would a better way to dissuade them be a massive fine which should be included within the cost cap?

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Balgrayhill said:

Why bring your negativity on this thread?  If doesn't interest you then fine, you don't need to tell us

He is entitled to express an opinion, even if you don't share/like it. I find F1 increasingly disappointing to follow, having been an enthusiast for many decades.

One factor is the increasing number of somewhat illogical or apparently contradictory rules and the way in which they are applied. The impact of Liberty's desire to increase the appeal of F1 to a wider but uninformed audience isn't, for me, improving the spectacle of F1 either.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

He didn't say he disliked F1, just that he doesn't like the way it's heading under the current owners and I'm sure many of us share that sentiment. Interestingly he says that he records the races, that's not the action of someone who dislikes a sport, for instance I doubt you record football matches to watch later, Balgrayhill?

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

Well that finish was an anti climax and another test of the rules.

So some of the lapped cars were let past but not all then for some reason then despite the option of red flagging it then a 3 lap shoot out they just crawled around behind the safety car.

As for being critical why can't you post negatively? I love F1 and have followed it for over 50 years but it is not without its faults with most being the good awful rule book. It isn't what it was and can be extremely boring at times. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, LNERandBR said:

I will agree that the Power Unit rules aren't working as intended. They are supposed to increase the reliability of the cars

I thought the motive was to reduce costs?  I know there is the cost cap, but does that not affect only the wealthier/better funded teams who could afford to spend more if they were allowed to?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

Well that finish was an anti climax and another test of the rules.

So some of the lapped cars were let past but not all then for some reason then despite the option of red flagging it then a 3 lap shoot out they just crawled around behind the safety car.

As for being critical why can't you post negatively? I love F1 and have followed it for over 50 years but it is not without its faults with most being the good awful rule book. It isn't what it was and can be extremely boring at times. 

2 hours ago, didcot said:

The result is clearly unpopular. But I think the crowd were more upset by the safety car mess up. There were still unlapped cars between 2nd and 3rd place.

They really need to sort it out a bit quicker and better. 

They weren’t allowing lapped cars past as such, simply all cars until they had the race leader directly behind the safety car (Martin Brundle picked up on it, the safety car has a green light as well as the flashing ambers until Verstappen caught it, then it went red)

Russell was one of the cars allowed past. The pack was then very strung out which then slowed any option to restart 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, black and decker boy said:

They weren’t allowing lapped cars past as such, simply all cars until they had the race leader directly behind the safety car (Martin Brundle picked up on it, the safety car has a green light as well as the flashing ambers until Verstappen caught it, then it went red)

Russell was one of the cars allowed past. The pack was then very strung out which then slowed any option to restart 

It's because they cocked up and the safety car picked up Russell by mistake.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

I thought the motive was to reduce costs?  I know there is the cost cap, but does that not affect only the wealthier/better funded teams who could afford to spend more if they were allowed to?

Both, increase  the longevity of the engine and you reduce how many are needed. That's why the number of parts has been reduced from when the engines were first brought in.

• Like 1