Ipswich in OO - Station, stabling point and top yard in 1985

Dagworth

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

First ever try at hand building points. 

Happy with my results so far, they are OO, code 100, and each is around 450mm long! 

IMG_0594.JPEG.4f425f692809f72c8ff8a0360eb6321b.JPEG

I wanted to try to make the crossings look like the cast type so I covered a rail built crossing in milliput and carved it once set. 
Also has the benefit that there is now no gap for the wheel to fall into as it traverses the crossing. (OO doesn’t normally like such shallow crossing angles but these seem to work fine) 

IMG_0595.JPEG.52468732dfa060decd1f70632312918d.JPEG

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 2

• Dagworth changed the title to Yactus, no longer pointless
  • RMweb Gold

More points. That’s all the points needed at this end built. 

IMG_0597(1).JPEG.b90c068fe9235691a1c0b08911047d0c.JPEG

These aren’t laid yet, just plonked. I hope to have all this bit laid and wired by the weekend. 

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Doesn't look much but this is the first loco to move under its own power in the station area, fleet mascot 86246 Royal Anglian Regiment.

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Dagworth changed the title to Yactus, open mouthed
  • RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Taigatrommel said:

Is that the slab track from when the bed was lowered for electrification?

Yes, that was the first time it was lowered, around 1984. It was lowered even further in (I think) 2014 to allow hi-cube boxes on liners.

Andi

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 29/01/2022 at 22:58, Dagworth said:

Doesn't look much but this is the first loco to move under its own power in the station area, fleet mascot 86246 Royal Anglian Regiment.

Andi

They made the name plate wrong, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother called it "The Royal Anglican Regiment" when she named it.

We used to call the soldiers of the Anglian Regiment the angle irons when they were stationed in Tidworth.

• Funny 2

• Dagworth changed the title to Yactus - light at the end of the tunnel
  • RMweb Premium

I am sure when the line to Ipswich was built they on purpose made it go through Stoke Tunnel so when railway modellers would say , "There wouldn't be a tunnel that close to the station" others could point out "What about Ipswich?"

It will look good with a B17 or Britannia coming out of it. 

:punish:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone remember the heaters in the tunnel when it was first electrified and how the tunnel seemed to glow orange when they were on? They were interlocked with the signalling and switched off when a train was in the tunnel. Does anyone have any photos of it?

Andi

• 2 weeks later...
  • Dagworth changed the title to Yactus - yards of track
On 13/02/2022 at 20:50, Clive Mortimore said:

I am sure when the line to Ipswich was built they on purpose made it go through Stoke Tunnel so when railway modellers would say , "There wouldn't be a tunnel that close to the station" others could point out "What about Ipswich?"

It will look good with a B17 or Britannia coming out of it. 

:punish:

How about Cromford,  tunnel mouth is on the platform!

Carrington just north of Nottingham Victoria has tunnels at both ends of the platforms 

https://images.app.goo.gl/xHkQTdozMbF9ctrZ9

Edited by great central
Add photo

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

I am aware of someone who has been constructing an Ipswich layout in N, though I've never seen it.

Any idea how much of Ipswich in N?

Andi

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, great central said:

How about Cromford,  tunnel mouth is on the platform!

Carrington just north of Nottingham Victoria has tunnels at both ends of the platforms 

https://images.app.goo.gl/xHkQTdozMbF9ctrZ9

True, but as it is the only tunnel on the GER line to Norwich and is so close to the docks at Ipswich it is like a train set tunnel.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Some of the points in Ipswich stabling yard are bullhead, some are flat-bottom rail. One has FB switches and a bullhead crossing!

The sidings themselves are an equal mixture, and then one used to have a pit as well.

Trying to be as accurate as I can be with the model. I realised earlier that the fueling road, which I had laid as a piece of straight track, actually has a significant wiggle so I had to relay that bit. At least the extra crossover from six road to the table road didn't exist in the era I'm modelling.

Andi

10 hours ago, Dagworth said:

Any idea how much of Ipswich in N?

Andi

It's owned by a friend of a friend and the person building it no longer lives locally (think he's in the Midlands somewhere), so I'm not sure TBH.  It's certainly set post electrification and I believe it is fairly extensive and includes the Station and Upper Yard.  I'll see if I can find out a bit more......

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Looks like the last photo I posted was of the start of the goods yard, so here is the other end of the yard with the view from London Road bridge 

The mouth of the tunnel at the London end of the platform is 60ft away!

9C98E70D-75E0-49A2-BA6E-EA0B6E0F0E98.jpeg.3489375585af88a2cefd3628e1447851.jpeg

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Like 4