Ipswich in OO - Station, stabling point and top yard in 1985

Dagworth

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, LNERGE said:

I can sort you out a signalbox telephone concentrator. This will allow lots of phones being able to talk to one place but not act as an exchange.

That would be awesome! 

Andi

2 hours ago, Dagworth said:

That would be awesome! 

Andi

You could make this story up.... There is no way in any shape or form that a Protowire telephone concentrator has been on my mind for many  years until i saw your post and reply. My immediate thought was yay i've got rid of one of these things..... then i open my emails... to find...    someone is offering me another four.

How do you want to go about it?

Edited by LNERGE

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

18 dual track circuit modules. 

This should be enough for the rest of the layout. 
A571E1FA-4916-442A-9F44-E212FE2FF246.jpeg.e860089110f5746cc53671deef4eb5f5.jpeg

Andi

I am getting very concerned about this coming weekend where you are helping me with Pig Lane.  As you can see there are few switches only at the moment. I dare not turn my back on Daggers because I am sure he would rewire it with all sorts of whizz bang thingies.

100_5385.JPG.c0b189ee44c473ea4e1b8a616e5b1af6.JPG

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

That's a lovely bit of film Andi, brings back some memories!  I wonder what train the 08 was shunting at the beginning?  First thought was the "Bury Fenman" but I don't know if that still ran in '87.  Anyway, it's a reminder that not all shunting was done at creepy crawly speed....

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 31A said:

I wonder what train the 08 was shunting at the beginning?

it's 1E76 from New Street, terminated at Ipswich at 1840h 

The ECS move from Crown Point to Ilford is interesting too with the TPO with flat tyres

Andi

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

The ECS move from Crown Point to Ilford is interesting too with the TPO with flat tyres

Andi

Illford had a wheel lathe, could that be the reason for its move to there?

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Illford had a wheel lathe, could that be the reason for its move to there?

Almost certainly. In the 86 timetable that train is shown to stop for crew change. 

Andi

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Dagworth said:

Andi

Thanks Andi, I don't think I knew there was a Birmingham-Ipswich!

Also a couple of views in the there of the Metro Cammell 3-cars with the East Suffolk RETB aerials on the front.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, 31A said:

Also a couple of views in the there of the Metro Cammell 3-cars with the East Suffolk RETB aerials on the front.

Also with the brake in the centre car, need a Mortimore cut and shut job. 

Andi

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, branchie said:

Not sure if I'm ready for the lack of MGR wagons!!

We will be able to get a few MGRs on Ipswich but not 256 of them. 
Freighliners are the big need on this layout. I have one rake of 25 but need another two sets. I have asked Bachmann if they will be doing more as the simply are not available anywhere, even second hand. 
Waiting for Cartics too….

Andi

• Like 2

On 14/04/2023 at 20:42, Dagworth said:

We will be able to get a few MGRs on Ipswich but not 256 of them. 
Freighliners are the big need on this layout. I have one rake of 25 but need another two sets. I have asked Bachmann if they will be doing more as the simply are not available anywhere, even second hand. 
Waiting for Cartics too….

Andi

I am enjoying seeing your build of Ipswich,you will need plenty of freight liner flats,also vtg cargo wagons i was so pleased now that Heljan have done a second run them,thats the problem of short production runs,a couple of days ago i also watched the priceless video of Ipswich in 1987 its the little details from this era like the class 101 with metro train branding that was so typical of the east anglian railways back in those great days ,if only i had a time machine come to think of it thats what you are doing!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 14/04/2023 at 19:06, Dagworth said:

Also with the brake in the centre car, need a Mortimore cut and shut job. 

Andi

The Trailer Brake Second Open

TBSO.jpg.3efca6d472d0c7340553398f4a699b7f.jpg

It is part of a four car unit. They lost their Trailer Seconds before moving from the NER to East Anglia making them 3 car units. But me being me, my four car unit will be running with a Buffet car.

TRB.jpg.8c29383ff769bfe49086b5fb89408a81.jpg

OK I have only got as far as removing the sliding vents on the blanked out windows.

DMC111a.jpg.fb38420b66aafb6c019a4393a2a9dc8f.jpg

I am not sure how I converted the TBSO but the previous DMBS the van end came from became a DMC. This is not part of the four car unit as I altered the front to become a Rolls Royce class 111 and normally runs as a two car unit. I have a spare TS which replaces the Buffet or can run with the two class 111 power cars forming a three car. 

DMC111.jpg.b1582dc2dba8260be216690af26cd488.jpg

The two DMCs are standard Lima coaches, one has as produced 2 figure headcode the other has the older four lamps. I have book with a photo of one with the four lamps, with yellow panel and the older lion riding the unicycle totem. When (if) the paint comes out......

DMC 101.jpg

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 10

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Board number 10 has reached the wiring table. 
IMG_0002.jpeg.74b436b4402e5d636bde0e15d0a2f12a.jpeg

12 points in this one, I think it’s the most of any board, but only one of them is controlled from Colchester, the rest are yard points. 
IMG_0003.jpeg.4e48147656bb842d8008dac87784efd5.jpeg

Im wondering if I need to go back and make some alterations to wiring of previous boards in light of some new thinking about how to do things. Most of the thinking is a way to reduce the number of outputs required from the computer, so is removing rather than adding wires.  I’m very close to the limit of outputs with the present way of doing things, by changing route indicator outputs to a binary system for each signal I can save quite a few outputs. 
I’m also considering adding point correspondence to the mainline points so that a route can only clear once all the points are proved. 

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi Andi,

It was good to meet you at the DEMU event on Sunday. I have just caught up with your model thread.  I am glad you enjoyed Shirebrook, I look forward to future updates on Ipswich.

Cheers

Duncan

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Dagworth said:

Anyone who was familiar with Anglia during the electrification to Norwich may enjoy this 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRS7XZHiamA

Andi

Yo Badge

Still haven't found that video where a young secondman with longhair who appears climbing on to the platform after coupling up a Brush type 4 at Ipswich.

The secondman was some geezer called Dagwoth on here.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Yo Badge

Still haven't found that video where a young secondman with longhair who appears climbing on to the platform after coupling up a Brush type 4 at Ipswich.

The secondman was some geezer called Dagwoth on here.

Did you see the bit where 86246 got the wrong name? 

Anglican clearly audible 

Andi

• RMweb Gold

As to the layout itself, wiring is still underway. Here’s the underside of board 13 before and after. 

Annoyingly they have fallen victim to iPhone syndrome where they are different ways up. IMG_1249.jpeg.4278585a66fa4d6ff9eca60aff0927fc.jpegIMG_1257.jpeg.05fa9316dc3d5d9fb37bcbd1354e3dd0.jpeg

Only half a point on this board and it’s a hand point in the yard. The chunk of veroboard is connections to the large signal gantry over the main lines at the north end of the yard. 

The top side of 13, the gantry can be seen as a grey object in the print below the tracks as well as its shadow. 

IMG_1258.jpeg.8a1b0f87052df2de375152d094de8221.jpeg

Andi

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

With iPhones and iPads I’ve found you need to make sure the camera is at the top of the iPhone or iPad when taking the photo. It will then be right way up.

Cheers

Paul

All three photos in my post were taken with the same iPhone, the same way up/round. 

Andi