Ipswich in OO - Station, stabling point and top yard in 1985

Dagworth

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Clive martin said:

Sorry to ask you more questions is the layout going to be a roundy roundy and do you intend to do loco change overs in the station ,i guess as its your layout you dont have to and you could run the class 86 and intercity sets through i seem to remember an evening servie to stowmarket formed of class 309 units that came back to Ipswich ecs and stabled in the yard this was before through electric services to Norwich , your photos of the station trackwok with all those locos on the stabling point looks fantastic it already looks like Ipswich!

Yes, loco changes are one of the main features of operation. I did them on Dagworth many years back too. 

Did you notice the pair of 309s in the sidings?  The pair are 605 and 621, the two that feature in Johann’s photos 

Andi

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PM47079 said:

Bridges end of the yard view

IMG_0320.jpg

That's great, thank you. It shows how the point lever lay flat!

The pot sleeper section is under the freightliner set.

Andi

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dagworth said:

Yes, loco changes are one of the main features of operation. I did them on Dagworth many years back too. 

Did you notice the pair of 309s in the sidings?  The pair are 605 and 621, the two that feature in Johann’s photos 

Andi

Hi Andi i did notice your splendid 309s,i really think those were the golden years at Ipswich we still had 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, PM47079 said:

Any good to you Andi?

Yes absolutely, particularly that first one as that's the one big bit I have no photos of at all.

Massive thank you!

Andi

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, PM47079 said:

img108.jpg

Not being a steam man can anyone tell me what that tender is and what would be a suitable model to start from to  build the snowplough?

Also what is the well wagon behind the snowplough, and what is the other wagon? I have in my head that they were ZRVs and I know that they were used for coils of steel wire.

Andi

7 hours ago, Dagworth said:

Not being a steam man can anyone tell me what that tender is and what would be a suitable model to start from to  build the snowplough?

Also what is the well wagon behind the snowplough, and what is the other wagon? I have in my head that they were ZRVs and I know that they were used for coils of steel wire.

Andi

Regarding the other wagon, if you remember wagons of coiled wire then it looks like a Coil E (TOPS code KEV) - have a look on Paul Bartlett's site.  It would not be a TOPS code ZRV which was a bit of a catch-all code for odd vac braked stuff transferred to the engineer depts.

cheers

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Dagworth said:

Andi

Hi Andi

The snowplough as Richard said is mounted on a group standard tender (B1, D49, V2 etc etc). It was for many years the Norwich plough. The plough bit used to hung on the front of a J15. Paul Bartlett has a couple of photos of it https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/snowplough

I am sure you would have operated Hanging Hill with it on.

001a.jpg.7fc6a391c1f8d97b2ea4bba6ac027d79.jpg

Richard's photo of ABD 330966 is of a GCR plough (carried by a J something GCR in the good old days) mounted on a GNR tender, based at Shirebrook. The model next to my Norwich plough is the same configuration but the tender has retained its coal rails, these seemed to have been removed from many ploughs in the 1970s.

As for making a model, Bachmann's B1, J39 or V2 are suitable, look out for wreaked split chassis locos going cheap if you cannot get a tender by itself. Hornby's B1, K1, B17 or D49 (not the one pushed along by the tender).  Not sure if Heljan done one for the LNER version of the O2.

For a long time Ipswich had a GER tender with a small plough on the front, like the one on the right.

004a.jpg.ef46a8a3a21e8b7a755b76cd6be9be33.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Rivercider said:

Regarding the other wagon, if you remember wagons of coiled wire then it looks like a Coil E (TOPS code KEV) - have a look on Paul Bartlett's site.  It would not be a TOPS code ZRV which was a bit of a catch-all code for odd vac braked stuff transferred to the engineer depts.

cheers

From Paul’s site it is a KRV but I am sure that I remember them being labelled as ZRV, when 37019 got bent at Felixstowe it was a bunch of those that we hit so it stuck in my head. 

Andi

• RMweb Gold

The final piece of track in the yard has been laid today, just the up and down main lines left to finish now and all scenic track will be in place. 

CBB3DEC6-8385-42B9-9D64-F4036A0D11F3.jpeg.488cab8b8ccc358c3067295c66db6837.jpeg

Well on target to have all the scenic track complete by new year. 

Andi

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Clive martin said:

And now for the mammoth task of ballast!

Wiring first, test it all before ballasting  :) Oh and painting all the rails, and sleepers of the points.

But there's a helix to build as well, and all the  fiddle yard boards...

Andi

Edited by Dagworth

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Wiring first, test it all before ballasting  :) Oh and painting all the rails, and sleepers of the points.

But there's a helix to build as well, and all the  fiddle yard boards...

Andi

What are you doing wasting time on here for then?

Mike.

• Funny 1

• Dagworth changed the title to Ipswich in OO - Station, stabling point and top yard in 1985
  • RMweb Gold

This is the fiddle yard junction at the bottom of the Down end helix, known as Helixstowe. Triple track helix splitting out into two separate fiddle yards. Diamond crossings would be a lot easier to make if we didn’t use the rails for current collection. 

1E41516D-05FD-4087-88E5-8BE7F26B3117.jpeg.dc3fea456e56a67f26bcb27cc209c4a2.jpeg

Andi

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I started this topic this time last year with a post of the first loco moving across Helifax junction at the bottom of the South helix. I finish this year with the last main board frame built -  not complete in any way as the helix boards can only be built as each turn of track is laid - only sub-boards remain to be built (30 fiddle yard boards which are each 4’ x 1’)

I still need to add all the cross bracing and uprights to both the board with the track and the one at the far end to support the helix trackbeds 

The board nearest the camera is sort of four foot square but with additions, the helix itself is eight foot diameter. 

0B28B718-F0B5-46A4-A004-101F14F25944.jpeg.29ee7be707247a0f13d17ddab46d58d2.jpeg

The next few days will see the North helix grow, once it reaches full height I can build what equates to East Suffolk Junction which sits 12” above the points visible here. 

Happy New Year to everyone who reads my topics (and yah boo to those who don’t as they’ll never see this 😝 )

May 2023 bring more modelling and less woodworking. 

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Dagworth said:

The board nearest the camera is sort of four foot square but with additions, the helix itself is eight foot diameter.

I might be needing a 8' diameter helix or part thereof, are you cutting the circular boards yourself or using an outside contractor?

Feliz Ano Nuevo.

Mike.