Ipswich in OO - Station, stabling point and top yard in 1985

Dagworth

21 minutes ago, Clive martin said:

That Great Yarmouth Swift looks superb ,another short live operator around about the 85 86 era was Blue bus that also had some rather nice Bristol RE s in their fleet ,around about 1981 Ipswich borough transport had a mk2 National from Provincial on trial that one was quite a beast!

Felixstowe Omnibuses (aka Blue Bus) had one RE that they used on a route to Chantry in 1987.     They upset Eastern Counties more than us, so ECOC bought them out!

r87-019.jpg.58f2b76dd1e921d0e4a0a4d3a173660d.jpg

r87-021.jpg.ff52b665c1235944b601550ea10c4590.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If I put a bus UNDER Ancaster Road bridge is that a negative cliche?  If I then put on on top of the London Road bridge will they cancel each other out?

Seriously though the bus pictures are really useful for what should be on the layout, but are any of them available RTR as such? Buses are not my area of knowledge at all.

Andi

1 minute ago, Dagworth said:

If I put a bus UNDER Ancaster Road bridge is that a negative cliche?  If I then put on on top of the London Road bridge will they cancel each other out?

Seriously though the bus pictures are really useful for what should be on the layout, but are any of them available RTR as such? Buses are not my area of knowledge at all.

Andi

I don't think my copies of the Ipswich Transport Society journal go back as far as '85 Andi so can't help you there, if you're still in touch with any ITS members maybe they could loan you copies. Failing that perhaps the museum could assist?

C6T.

• Like 1

The only IBT/IB single deckers of that era that are available are really the aforementioned ex-Leicester dual-door Bristol RE's which arrived in Ipswich in 1980 and the last ones were withdrawn in 1987. They were used on the 12/13 to Chantry so were regularly seen in Ancaster Road. EFE do the RE in OO, but it would obviously need a repaint into the IBT Green/Cream......

r83-015.jpg.433dddceb33f4d94da82e4f186047cdf.jpg

I think there was a Willowbrook bodied saloon available in model form which would need a bit of kitbashing to make an Ipswich one.   No. 82 was hired back from preservation in the mid 1980's by IB for use on the Chantry runs, though this shows a 1983 shot of another of the batch.....

r83-020.jpg.2c000a05cd2fa45e89dae9a298b4c36f.jpg

All the other IB saloons - Dennis Falcons and the B21's have never been produced in model form.

There weren't any regular IB routes over London Road Bridge as the 7/7b went over Hadleigh Road  Bridge.

Double deckers are another model problem as you would really need a dual door Roe bodied Atlantean and I don't think anyone has done one of those in OO.

You could get away with an AEC Regent V though, if you weren't too fussy about the bodywork, as three of those remained in service until August 1986.....

r86-261.jpg.ef3165ace1f54b0fce1f5a730bb2b79d.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

That photo of Ancaster road is really helpful as it shows the bridge in far earlier condition than any of my photos but also shows the staff carpark entrance as I remember it and as it needs to be on the layout. 

Andi

• Agree 1

I'm guessing that the fairly "fresh" repointing work on the bridge abutment visible above the bus in that photo was as a result of double deck Atlantean No.21 being driven into the bridge in 1979 - about 3.5 years before I took that photo!

Certainly made a mess of the bus and didn't do the bridge a lot of good either, I would imagine........

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Johann Marsbar said:

I'm guessing that the fairly "fresh" repointing work on the bridge abutment visible above the bus in that photo was as a result of double deck Atlantean No.21 being driven into the bridge in 1979 - about 3.5 years before I took that photo!

Certainly made a mess of the bus and didn't do the bridge a lot of good either, I would imagine........

Is that what happened to the missing abutment? 

Andi

1 hour ago, Dagworth said:

Andi

Thats funny you you should say about the old bus on a bridge cliche you could be the pioneer of a new bus under a bridge cliche ,although only a short lived operation i thought a blue bus Bristol RE  might be quite an easy repaint of a EFE flat screen RE i dont think they had any complicated crests etc to recreate,unlike the Ipswich corporation version, fab progress on this stunning layout i am enjoying every update those mid 80s days at Ipswich were somethig very special in my opinion the golden years of the Great Eastern mainline!

• Like 1

The driver took a short cut back to the depot from Chantry after working a school special and ran down Birkfield Drive and Ancaster Rd - after dark, I believe - so became fairly embedded under the bridge.  Thankfully the driver was the only person on board.

There were photos in the local press of it at the time and I could well have a cutting here at home, but I haven't a clue where it is likely to be at the moment.

The ITS Journal of the time may have details of it all and what damage there was to the bridge, but there were lots of production problems with the magazine around that period, so I can't remember ifa  full report on it all was made at the time.

The driver in question was actually demoted to a cleaner and eventually ended up driving again in the mid 1980's!       He was quite a character..........

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Johann Marsbar said:

You could get away with an AEC Regent V though, if you weren't too fussy about the bodywork, as three of those remained in service until August 1986.....

r86-261.jpg.ef3165ace1f54b0fce1f5a730bb2b79d.jpg

A proper Trolley from the days I was at the Civic College and a trainee engineer at Cliff Quay Power Station in the mid 70s. Going home to my digs in Felixstowe Road from college many of the conductors would collect the fares as people got off the bus. Sometimes I wasn't issued a ticket, could it have been a case of three 5ps for the corporation then one for me? We will never know.

Buses were painted red and went to mysterious places only the brave would go to like Stowmarket.

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Buses were painted red and went to mysterious places only the brave would go to like Stowmarket.

Hoy! It's not like it's Eye...or (shudder) Diss buh!

C6T.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Some fantastic work here Andi, blown away and very very impressed with the hand built points - maybe I should consider this approach for the points I’ll be using to model the cross over after the tunnel to mimicking the griffin wharf branch…

• RMweb Gold

Boards 6&7

The line that goes to the lower yard and the docks can be seen with the start of construction of Ranelagh Road level crossing right at the edge of the board. 

IMG_1943.jpeg.61034da3ed965a34e9756f7d58ed642a.jpegIMG_1944.jpeg.3883ef900fced15663e57f895ec3eb82.jpeg

What do you do with a line that goes off the side of the layout?  Watch this space….

Andi

• Like 11

I can remember redesigning the track layout in the BOC sidings when I was in the Permanent Way Design Office at Norwich. A cheap job that involved re-jigging the existing bullhead layout for a longer run round. This was about 1986ish. Also did a lot of the setting out work for the new S&C layouts from Halifax jct to East Suffolk Junction prior to  electrification. 

Anyone know how the “Foundout “ sidings got their name?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, ATME said:

Anyone know how the “Foundout “ sidings got their name?

It's something I've been intrigued by too, all I can find is a reference from the Ipswich Society 

http://www.ipswichsociety.org.uk/newsletter/newsletter-october-2020-issue-223/ipswich-railway-stations-part-2

To the west of the island platform were the carriage sidings, known from time immemorial as the ‘found out.’ I can find no-one who now knows why the area gained this appellation – it seems to be lost in the mists of time.

29 minutes ago, ATME said:

Also did a lot of the setting out work for the new S&C layouts from Halifax jct to East Suffolk Junction prior to  electrification.

I guess I've got you to thank for some of the points I've had to build for the layout then? I particularly like the straight run of points leaving P2 heading down and across to the Up main. Where the Up and Down main lines curve there is a very visible straight section across the points along the Lowestoft. You can see it clearly here from P3 

Stadler 745 to Norwich

I have used the correct point numbers for all the powered points in the scenic part of the layout :)

Andi

Edited by Dagworth

There used to be buildings either side of the line once you went over Ranelagh Road crossing - Reavells factory on the left and a shop/houses on the right - which would have made a suitable scenic break.  I took this photo there in 1978, but by the timeframe your layout is set, I'm sure the shop had been demolished, just leaving the houses which remain to this day.

You can see the odd shape footprint of the shop if you look at Google Earth.

BR159.jpg.8127633ce52aec8a32be453bd76ab543.jpg

That was the only photo I ever took at that location....

• Like 5