'New' Class 45. Driven axles?

Gary H

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

All of the recent 45’s are driven on 6 axles - my D108 from 2015 is so current models will definitely be :)

As far as I know Mike even on the 2015 model only 2 axles are driven on each bogie

• Informative/Useful 1

I've checked with one of the latest 45s which I bought in the summer, BR green Royal Tank Regiment. The drive is on 2 axles per bogie, but unusually, this isn't on both outer axles (ignoring the front load carrying axle). Using the 3 driving axles, the drive is on the centre and front driving axles, the rear driving axle is unpowered.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Out of interest, does anybody think it is actually an issue?

I am more than happy with the performance of my Peaks (and I have way too many) and one of the best performing "locos" there is a Bo-Bo in the form of the Heljan 128 which will pull anything (and yes, I know it is not a loco really).

Roy

• Agree 2

Confused me this one as well.

I have a fairly recent 'Whernside' Class 44 which is 2 axles per bogie, and a recent-edition 40, which is 3 axles per bogie.

Doesn't seem to affect the performance - both are superb with decent haulage capacities.

Al.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Shades of the horror of a Co-Co actually being a A1A-A1A - provided the model runs well and pulls well,  what wheels are powered is not material.

14 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Confused me this one as well.

I have a fairly recent 'Whernside' Class 44 which is 2 axles per bogie, and a recent-edition 40, which is 3 axles per bogie.

Doesn't seem to affect the performance - both are superb with decent haulage capacities.

Al.

Agreed - absolutely no discernable difference in the performance if the 40 or the 45 on my layout. I can understand those who want the same driven axles as the prototype though - this hobby is a broad church and its just another thing that can be true to prototype so why not?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Agree, no difference in haulage terms but what i was less enamoured with was the very early Peak release where the inner axle on each bogie was un-powered, but IIRC, had a spring arrangement inside it that tended to cause the bogie to tip back and rock and cause derailments, I'm going back a good few years though when Bachmann released the Class 44.

I think the 40 used the same drive method back then to.

On 04/01/2022 at 15:59, Roy Langridge said:

Out of interest, does anybody think it is actually an issue?

I am more than happy with the performance of my Peaks (and I have way too many) and one of the best performing "locos" there is a Bo-Bo in the form of the Heljan 128 which will pull anything (and yes, I know it is not a loco really).

Roy

Perhaps not with the powered axles but possibly with the pick up arrangement. 

I got one last year (Lytham St Annes) the running out of the box was pretty rough.  I ran it in an hour each direction and it sounded less rough than it did to start with, however I found that it failed to restart when stopped about 50% of the time.  As a result I returned it and got a replacement.  I doubt the rough running was related to the pick up arrangement but wondered if the stalling was.  I run DC.

The replacement runs a lot smoother but still stalls more than most other locos I have but nothing like the rate the first one stalled at.

I have bought DCC Concepts wiper pick ups which I intend to fit to the set of wheels without pick ups.  However I did not want to do that until I was sure it did not need returned under warranty.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 313201 said:

Although I have never owned a class 44/45/46 loco, I do have a class 40 which only drives on 4 axles although I have been trying to think of ways I could possibly get it to drive on 6 axles but up to now I have not had much success with the idea. 

Haven't looked but are the 6 wheel drive bogies from the latest version available on the new Bachmann spares site? 

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, 313201 said:

Although I have never owned a class 44/45/46 loco, I do have a class 40 which only drives on 4 axles although I have been trying to think of ways I could possibly get it to drive on 6 axles but up to now I have not had much success with the idea. 

i dont think you can because the retooled 40 uses a completely different system for pickups and the bogie mounts are different unfortunately.

whilst the peaks only having 4 driven axles means nothing from a performance point of view, the pickups leave a lot to be desired unfortunately