Hornby 2022 - Wagons

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

The back to back gauges arrived today so I set about checking the wheels, all of them were 13.9

IMG_8908.HEIC

after putting in the gauge they are all 14.2 (hope that’s right!)

IMG_8909.HEIC

you can see the brake hanger moulding  is very close to the wheel flange before regauging, seem better now, a couple of tight(ish) wheels certainly turned better once done particularly on the axle with the larger hanger moulding 

IMG_8907.HEIC

• Informative/Useful 1

37 minutes ago, big jim said:

The back to back gauges arrived today so I set about checking the wheels, all of them were 13.9

IMG_8908.HEIC

after putting in the gauge they are all 14.2 (hope that’s right!)

IMG_8909.HEIC

you can see the brake hanger moulding  is very close to the wheel flange before regauging, seem better now, a couple of tight(ish) wheels certainly turned better once done particularly on the axle with the larger hanger moulding 

IMG_8907.HEIC

I'd check your calipers, or your measurement process

A back to back gauge should be setting the B2B to 14.4mm or 14.5mm. (I'm not sure whose gauge could result in a 14.2mm value)

Hornby rolling stock wheels are frequently set at 14.1mm

The fact that your calipers are reading a value 0.2mm less in both cases suggests they are somehow reading low by that amount.

No matter , you've added 0.3mm onto the B2B , which was definitely too low for comfort. I hope that should resolve it.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, big jim said:

They are cheap Amazon callipers, say no more!

That might explain it.

I just can't think of anyone who would sell a OO B2B that sets at 14.2mm : they all should be 14.4mm or 14.5mm . Hence me suspecting the measurements.

I've seen something similar - in my case some years ago it was 7 x Hornby Mk3 coaches , and one vehicle taking exception to one handbuilt point (to BRMSB /OO Intermediate standard) on a continuous circuit layout. Push the offending coach through the offending point by hand and it was fine. Stick it in a train and it came off at that spot every time

We hastily sourced a DOGA OO Intermediate B2B gauge . Every wheelset in the rake needed slight easing , and once that was done the problem went away. 

There are hints that Peco are quietly tightening the flangeway clearances in Streamline as they retool individual points (without mentioning it to anyone : Peco prefer not to discuss such matters) . That might explain the one point involved.

Or it may just be that it's all right on the edge and one fractionally tighter wheelset (by a few hundredths of a mm!) on one slightly dodgy point pushes the wheel /track interface over the edge into derailment.

Lets us know if easing the B2B has sorted it

The new Hornby Loriots have arrived at Footplate in Kidderminster.

Hope they don't mind me sharing their photo

FB_IMG_1674243974071.jpg.466c54f8b00eeb2b772b9c541294cf6d.jpg

Puzzled I couldn't find a separate thread for this new tooling.

Be interested hear peoples views on this new model.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1