RMweb

Car door slamming!

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

My first motor was a 1949 Ford E493A Anglia. It was rather a rust bucket. Once I got in it, slammed the door and it fell off!....Oh and the front windows would sometimes fall out!

One like it but in a much better condition!

E493A.jpg.84e7e1cc15ed075859400a3eb36a0fb6.jpg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I dunno about car door slamming but there's some people need their head examining.

I just went out to check some golf equipment in my car and someone had parked on my drive, in front of my garage. So I knocked on my neighbour's door and, yes, it's a visitor. I get on well with my neighbours so he wasn't amused and promised he'd get them to shift it. The chap's excuse 'Well it was next door to where I was visiting'.

Just what kind of mental process results in someone parking on the drive in front of another house's garage? In what universe is that ever acceptable?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

My first motor was a 1949 Ford E493A Anglia. It was rather a rust bucket. Once I got in it, slammed the door and it fell off!....Oh and the front windows would sometimes fall out!

In the early Summer of 1966 I was cleaning the windows of the White Hart pub on the A24 in Holmwood, Surrey. The landlord was so impressed by my efforts that he asked my boss "Where d'you get 'im from? Win 'im in a raffle?" 

Oh well. Being a holiday Saturday, lots of people were heading for the South Coast, and some stopped for lunch at the White Hart. Among them was a sit-up-and-beg Ford. It must have had a puncture, because the owner started to jack it up, with wifey and bambini in the back seat. He had just about got it to a suitable elevation when the sill gave way and the jack punched a hole in it, restoring the car to ground level. Wifey could not stop laughing!

• Funny 7

4 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

One like it but in a much better condition!

E493A.jpg.84e7e1cc15ed075859400a3eb36a0fb6.jpg

Sure thats not a Pop 103e?

There's not a lot of brightwork...

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, AndrueC said:

I dunno about car door slamming but there's some people need their head examining.

I just went out to check some golf equipment in my car and someone had parked on my drive, in front of my garage. So I knocked on my neighbour's door and, yes, it's a visitor. I get on well with my neighbours so he wasn't amused and promised he'd get them to shift it. The chap's excuse 'Well it was next door to where I was visiting'.

Just what kind of mental process results in someone parking on the drive in front of another house's garage? In what universe is that ever acceptable?

Parked in the wrong driveway and couldn't be bothered correcting his mistake?

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, kevinlms said:

That's like the old insurance claim: "I turned into the wrong driveway and ran into a tree I haven't got".

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, AndrueC said:

The modern scourge of <entitlement>, I'm afraid :angry:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, kevinlms said:

No, lol. Houses here don't have driveways. We just have an area of ground between our house and the road for parking on. Why anyone would think it was a parking free-for-all I don't know and why they thought that parking in front of a garage was appropriate is even harder to understand.

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Hroth said:

Sure thats not a Pop 103e?

There's not a lot of brightwork...

You're right, it is most probably a 103E. I picked the wrong picture and I also got the 'E' number wrong!

This is a fine example of an E494E  but mine was in beige. The plan was to fit a Zodiac drive train, big wheels etc.. but the way of so many youthful plans it was partially dismantled but then it ended up being very irresponsibly disposed of by rolling it over a cliff into an old quarry (a popular dumping place for old bangers!)

E494A.jpg.f5c725cb9f80def286ef08946b452237.jpg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, AndrueC said:

I am reminded of a story about a very senior railwayman, known for liking a drink after work, and often to be found at genuine after-hours meetings which no doubt ended with a drink or several. On one occasion he drove home, but had difficulty getting into his driveway, and after several attempts abandoned the car partly buried in the privet hedge alongside the drive. Then realised it wasn't his house....

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I am reminded of a story about a very senior railwayman, known for liking a drink after work, and often to be found at genuine after-hours meetings which no doubt ended with a drink or several. On one occasion he drove home, but had difficulty getting into his driveway, and after several attempts abandoned the car partly buried in the privet hedge alongside the drive. Then realised it wasn't his house....

Did his first name begin with P?

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Did his first name begin with P?

No, D. A very popular man with staff at all levels, which is quite an accolade. I last saw him by chance when I visited the Welsh Highland in 2013, and he was there with a gaggle of retired senior railwaymen, some of whom I knew. 

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

No, D. A very popular man with staff at all levels, which is quite an accolade. I last saw him by chance when I visited the Welsh Highland in 2013, and he was there with a gaggle of retired senior railwaymen, some of whom I knew. 

Ah, not who i was thinking of!

On 12/02/2022 at 19:45, AndrueC said:

Trying to refrain from going on for pages about this! Downside of my having a garage by some shops. Can only assume "it won't be there all day" means I must not mind lifting stuff over peoples bonnets and across the drive to the van?

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
On 11/02/2022 at 17:30, fezza said:

That's true, but try selling an 8 year old electric vehicle - at that point they are basically free which shows what the market thinks of them. No one wants the risk.

Yes, you can replace the battery on an eight year old EV  car but almost noone does as it isn't worth it financially. The process is just far too costly for the "second hand" market. The only sensible thing to do is chuck it and buy a new one - which is, of course, what manufacturers want as that's how they make money 

So yes, they could last longer than eight years. But they don't in practice. They're essentially a very expensive I Phone with built-in obsolescence. That may change, but it hasn't yet.

Really? Cheapest EV I can find on Autotrader is a 10 year old Leaf for £6k. As a comparison, a similar size Diesel of the same age can be had for less than half that...